Help deciding the best bass IEM for a "bass-head" with SQ, would like iPhone capabilities but not essential
Apr 23, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #46 of 56
After a recent introduction to them, I would happily suggest the Fischer Eterna as a great option: affordable, excellent SQ and balance, sound stage, separation, very easy to drive, excellent bass extension and presence, and the overall performance is up there with a lot of the high end earphones. They're pretty much a no-brainer at $60. The only gripe is SPL isn't super high with the driver used, and this does limit dynamic range somewhat as well as the sustainability of the bass line up into the higher volume levels.

I'm glad you're liking the Turbines. I know a lot of people do. I need to eventually listen to a pair.

p.s. I'd LOVE to hear a review of all of those IEMs. I've used a few of them but something like the W3 vs. UM3X or a comparison between all of the Turbines are more scarce. There's a few reviews/comments floating around, but it's always good to see more, especially when you have all of them right in front of you. Being able to switch back and forth between all of them over a wide selection of songs really lets you get a very good understanding of each earphone and how they relate to each other. I was kind of like you half a year ago, grabbed the TF10, SE530, IE8, and UM3X all-together to try out the slew of high end earphones at the time. It's really neat to see the different approaches each company takes when building a premium product and the sound signature they strive for.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #47 of 56
@mvw2, so out of those four which did you like best ? ive not heard the um3x but out of the other three i like the tf10 the best ,than se530 than ie8

the tf10 is the most spontaneously dymanic to my ears and the least flawed, while the se530 has the best midrange but rolled off bass and ie8 the best soundstage but way to warm and a mid bass hump

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a recent introduction to them, I would happily suggest the Fischer Eterna as a great option: affordable, excellent SQ and balance, sound stage, separation, very easy to drive, excellent bass extension and presence, and the overall performance is up there with a lot of the high end earphones. They're pretty much a no-brainer at $60. The only gripe is SPL isn't super high with the driver used, and this does limit dynamic range somewhat as well as the sustainability of the bass line up into the higher volume levels.

I'm glad you're liking the Turbines. I know a lot of people do. I need to eventually listen to a pair.

p.s. I'd LOVE to hear a review of all of those IEMs. I've used a few of them but something like the W3 vs. UM3X or a comparison between all of the Turbines are more scarce. There's a few reviews/comments floating around, but it's always good to see more, especially when you have all of them right in front of you. Being able to switch back and forth between all of them over a wide selection of songs really lets you get a very good understanding of each earphone and how they relate to each other. I was kind of like you half a year ago, grabbed the TF10, SE530, IE8, and UM3X all-together to try out the slew of high end earphones at the time. It's really neat to see the different approaches each company takes when building a premium product and the sound signature they strive for.

No joke I love each and every one of my Turbine Pros. Gold's have the best bass, Tributes and Coppers are the best overall SQ but I need more time with them to be able to distinguish each of their nuances. But that's exactly what I am planning on doing, a direct comparison between the three with a variety of music genres and sources. I'm just debating on which amps to get, I think the Triad III is a no-brainer but unsure if I should grab an RSA, PicoSlim, Arrow or GoVibe Vulcan VB. Probably get an RSA because everyone on this forum seems to love all of Ray's products and it might be a more credible review. I'm really busy until the end of april so in about two weeks I'll be able to put enough time and effort into the review these amazing products deserve. I loved the IE8 but I was blown away even with the Gold's, I listened to them for the past five hours straight and they can only get better.....I'm drooling
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@mvw2, so out of those four which did you like best ? ive not heard the um3x but out of the other three i like the tf10 the best ,than se530 than ie8

the tf10 is the most spontaneously dymanic to my ears and the least flawed, while the se530 has the best midrange but rolled off bass and ie8 the best soundstage but way to warm and a mid bass hump

Really it depends. Once you get to a moderately high level product, you don't really have much in terms of flaws. More, you are choosing between sound signatures and intended design.

The problem is there are a lot of very good earphones, and they start at under $200 with things like the RE252 and CK10 or the long standing ER4S. Once you're looking at the TF10, IE8, SE530, and UM3X, it's not really a matter of which one is better. It's simply just a matter of which one fits your personal tastes and goals in sound reproduction. That's what it really comes down to because all of these are pretty much purposely built products with minimal flaws to complain about. Most things I would complain about revert back to personal preference and opinion rather that absolute failure in one way or another. We're really just getting a lot of really, really good products these days and more just keep on showing up. Take the now US available Fischer Eterna or DBA-02 and the new SA7 coming out in the near future. More keep trickling in, and most are quite good in their own focus.

I sort of stopped picking out "better" earphones once I started trying earphone after earphone and finding most of them largely outstanding performers. Here's a thread I made a while ago comparing these in as much detail as I could. I owned each of them for at least a month or longer all at the same time. I listened to hundreds of songs between them. The review was as detailed as I could make it comparing how they fared relative to each other. I have since tried a slew of "lesser" earphones like the RE252, Custom 3, CK10, and Eterna and am finding that these offer largely the same level of performance in a wider selection of flavors. There may be a half step here or there, but given the price variance, much of these new products are simply outstanding products.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/t...30-ok1-451954/

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #50 of 56
OK as of right now I rank my IEMS: Tributes>Coppers>Golds>IE8>VB for dynamic and I like the UM3X more than my 3 but neither I like more than my Tributes. The Turbine Pro Line is amazing, the Golds for Bass Copper for everything else and Tributes are a combo of each. They don't suffer from a mid-bass hump and seem to extend lower and produce more detail in their bass. I am compiling a review of each as soon as I get them all broken in, but out of the box the Tributes WOWED me. I listened to them for 4+ hours, I actually have two extra pairs of each the Tributes or the Coppers if anyone is interested? PM me. Get back to you all soon.

May 28, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #51 of 56
For bass boost portable amps you can not go past the Graham Slee Voyager IMHO. It is ridiculously good. I like it better than the lisa with my denon la-2000.

For best bass iem I have just sent off my super.fi 5eb for a custom remold where they add a balanced armature driver making it a triple driver custom. Unique melody will do it for $274USD which includes shipping.

It should be a wild custom for a great price.The extra driver should clean up the mids, fixing it's only significant fault IMHO. I will be reviewing it soon and comparing to my JH16pro's

cheers

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #52 of 56

I am looking for clean audio.... I want to listen to each and every instruement in the music exactly with 100%fidelity.... It seems u have many high end ear phones.... can u suggest me help... i am confued between X10i and shure se425.... Are x10i worth audiophile or I shoul go for other.....

How is ur experience with x10i... Please share....

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #54 of 56

Quote:
I have never heard the Shures but I am enjoying my X10i for several hours every day. Great sound over all, and very comfy.
Read this: http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Klipsch-Image-X10i/

The X10i is much better than my previous Etymotics. Much fuller sound with the same level of details. And ohh...the base! Fantastic and not overwhelming. Just great.

Hey I checked the link.... Grat.. i ll be buying x10i.... Thanks...
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back