Help deciding the best bass IEM for a "bass-head" with SQ, would like iPhone capabilities but not essential
Apr 1, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #31 of 56
Ok right now for high-end bass it's between the IE8 and W3? I might jump on that SE530 deal if they have a warrenty and can satisfy my bass requirements with the custom tips. I'm actually thinking of buying all three and selling the two I don't like, but the specs on the W3 are just so inticing. Especially if I don't need an amp cause that's more money down the drain and a more bulky portable MP3 device.

Apr 1, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdotfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
vrananswer, what was that MP3Gain program that apparently made the SE530 would sound like a sub in my ear. Is it compatible with iTunes? I have tried changing each individual song's EQ setting in my library but can't get it to transfer over to my phone. My iPhone even syncs the songs I messed around with but every song ALWAYS returns to whatever EQ setting my iPhone is on. I have called Apple and iTunes I'd capable of making custom EQ settings but it doesn't transfer over so it's just ridiculous! The Apple tech recommended I change each individual song then burn it to a disc and put it back on my library. Like I have time for that bs, does anyone know a way around this or will I have to purchase a portable amp?

It's called just that - MP3Gain. It lowers gain by adding metatags into the file. You have to delete the files from iTunes (don't accept 'move to recycle bin' option), then sync so files are removed from iPod. Run MP3Gain on the files, re-add to iTunes and re-sync to iPod. Then switch 'Bass Boost' on and play - booming bass and no distortion, perfect for SE530s if you're a basshead.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #33 of 56
hey guys i am in the same boat as the OP. like the OP i like my bass deep and with good impact, quantity, and extension but not over the top (sony XB500) or headache inducing. i came very close to getting the beats by dr dre studio because of its bass, but ended up with the denon D1001 instead. they are still currently my favourite headphones of all time.

ever since i got the denons i wanted a pair of IEMs that could at least come close to the bass of the D1001s, but i have still not found them yet. the closest i have gotten are the sennheiser IE8s, but even with the bass dial on max they are not enough for me. also the lack of isolation annoys me some as well.

so my next pair will either be the MTP golds or the JVC FX500s. a lot of people rave about the FX500s and its bass. but i am unsure which to try first, considering i could save a fair bit of $ getting the JVCs first instead of the monsters.

for the OP, i would not recommend the shures or the westones. i have personally tried the se530s/westone 3s/UM2s (still own 530s/UM2s) and none of them do it for me in the bass department.

the shures have almost zero bass, and i only use them when i want to hear better vocals.

as for the westones, before i bought my UM2s a year ago i did some serious research into both the UM2s and westone 3s. i even found a audiologist with both IEMs on site for testing, and went out of my way to go listen to them. the first time i A/B'ed listening unamped out of my sansa clip, they sounded very similar in sound signature. the UM2s were more revealing and flat-ish, which makes sense because the UM series are monitors for musicians. looking back at my raw listening notes, i found the westone 3's bass to be slightly boomier, almost slightly hollow as if it lacked some weight. btw this was done with the yellow foam ear tips, in a completely quiet environment.

almost a year later i tried A/B-ing them again, same place but my own pair of UM2s, listening to my ipod LOD out amped with a minibox E+. what was scary was the longer i listened, the more similar the bass sounded to me. although i still found the UM2s to be more revealing, almost more natural sounding.

after getting the monster turbines (vanilla = original models) and the IE8s, i concluded that (for the most part) balanced armatures in universals will have a harder time matching or coming close to the bass capabilities of dynamics. i say for the most part because there are exceptions like the custom molds from JH audio/UE/Westone etc.

and to get an idea of my demands for bass, some of my favourite songs include:

pyromania - Cascada
a never ending dream - Cascada

keep you much longer - akon

always be my baby - mariah carey

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #34 of 56
I bought a pair of the IE8's on ebay for $220 with shipping included, so I am going to see how these work out for me, think I got a good deal especially since they are new. I am thinking about buying some used SE530's from another head-fier and adding custom molds to them.

Otherwise, I'm also looking into the Turbines/TBP Gold's, Atrio's (v2 is the best right??), Future Sonics Audeo PFE (I heard they have great bass and have a free 14 day trial and are cheap), ordering a cheaper pair of Customs from alienears like the C3 Pro Triple Drive (I think they can actually make any phones custom if you want), or the Phonaks, and the Hippo VB is still not out of the question...

I might just get some custom molds from supersonics or alienears for the IE8's since they seem to have the most isolation problems.

d.n.d - how much better are your phones over the Studio's, I love my Studios but I'm on my second pair because they have issues in the finish (some small particles are under the finish and for paying that price I expect nothing short of perfection). I'm interested in the new Diddy Beats also but am open to suggestions. I'm gonna try out the IE8's and buy those used SE530 (they are only $180) and sell whichever I don't like.

Do you guys think getting custom earmolds for the IE8's or Shure's would be my best bet? Or should I grab up on the Turbines or TBP Golds? At this point I am willing to buy a few universal ones and dumping whichever I don't like.

As for portable amps, I'm thinking that Ray Samuels Audio is the way to go but I am really interested in the Practical Devices XM5 amp because you adjust so much. Im going to give both Practical Dev. and RSA a call on monday and ask them what their best best bass amp is. For RSA it seems the Predator or the Hornet or the Protector are the best? I guess anything by RSA is the ultimate in portable amps...

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #35 of 56
I haven't heard about those JVC's at all and they seem cheap, how would they compare to the IE8's in the bass and overall SQ department? I think the IE8's are probably going to be the best bass high-end universal fit IEM's I can get, at least I hope so...

Anymore input would be much appreciated, for my second pair I'm debating between the Turbines, TBP Golds, or SE530. What do you all think? I've talked to Monster at least 20 times and actually found out that they sent a bunch of defective products to Apple, and now the manager of their headphones division is all over my jock and is going to hook me up. I'll find out for sure tmrw, I have boughten 6 of their products and returned 5 of them (4 were defective and 1 was the wrong color) two blown right bud Tours, two defects in the finish of my Studios.....I can't believe I'm still dealing with Monster after ALL THIS B******T, I must be dumb. But if I can get a free prototype of the Diddy Beats or the TBP Gold's for cost then it might be worth it. I have this manager's direct line and I know I'm bugging the hell out of him but I am making him overlook the quality of my next pair of Studios first hand to ensure they are absolutely perfect. If they aren't I better get everything they've ever made for free, B******'S!!!!

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #36 of 56
funny thing is, the only pair of headphones i have that are as good (maybe better) than the studios are my denon D1001s. nothing else comes as close as my denons in terms of the bass reproduction that i want.

and as for IEMs, the only pair i have that comes close might be the IE8s but their lack of isolation kills it for me. with a good seal with the included foam eartips and bass dial on max, i still struggle to hear the bass. sometimes the bass i hear from my monster turbines, with silicone ear tips is almost on par :S

since my last reply, i did some research and a member here recommended the audio technica CKS70. its an IEM thats part of their new "solid bass" lineup. i was almost sold on these, considering they can be had for around $72 brand new. but reading more i discovered the isolation is not much better than the IE8s. since i already have the IE8s, i am not going down that same route again.

then upon reading one thread on the CKS70s, one reputable member was giving his thoughts on a bunch of bass-oriented IEMs and that is where i discovered the Mingo WM2. this IEM was said to have a LOT of bass, and if this does not satisfy a basshead nothing will. so i am going to try for the Mingos.

member and his thoughts:
link

beware though, the Mingo WM2s are only $50USD and that is because the build quality is iffy. so keep that in mind.

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #37 of 56
I checked the link out and sent them a PM, those were mainly low-end IEM's but thanks for the input. You should try out the Hippo VB, I think I'm gonna grab up on a pair because they have the, apparently, the best bass. Some have compared them to the UE11's and they are only $80. So that might be a good option for you.

Currently, I am waiting on the IE8's and have you ever thought of trying other tips or even sacking up and getting custom tips? That would really eliminate the isolation problem and probably blow your earbuds.

My other option is to order the Westone 3's from another headfier and return the IE8's if they really can't reach that sub-bass level I require. I don't really know how I got caught up in all of this, I have always been a music lover but I am becoming obsessed. I want every high-end IEM out there now! Check out the VB on Jaben, I'm going to grab up on a pair just for a cheaper/beater set.

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #38 of 56
OP, do you have any updates? I am in a very similar situation and am leaning to the Monster Turbines to satisfy my bass craving, but as you know it is hard to make a decision without being able to listen. Is there anything out there with better bass presence in the 30-60 Hz range at the price point of MTs or less?

Thanks...looking for an upgrade to my Lenntek Sonix and old Bass Freqs.

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

I checked the link out and sent them a PM, those were mainly low-end IEM's but thanks for the input. You should try out the Hippo VB, I think I'm gonna grab up on a pair because they have the, apparently, the best bass. Some have compared them to the UE11's and they are only $80. So that might be a good option for you.

Currently, I am waiting on the IE8's and have you ever thought of trying other tips or even sacking up and getting custom tips? That would really eliminate the isolation problem and probably blow your earbuds.

My other option is to order the Westone 3's from another headfier and return the IE8's if they really can't reach that sub-bass level I require. I don't really know how I got caught up in all of this, I have always been a music lover but I am becoming obsessed. I want every high-end IEM out there now! Check out the VB on Jaben, I'm going to grab up on a pair just for a cheaper/beater set.

thanks i will look into it. i have read about a member getting custom ear tips for his IE8s. but even then, i am skeptical about the isolation and improvement in bass.

the reason being is apparently the bass adjustment knob opens and closes a port which controls the bass. if for whatever reason i need to turn down the bass, i may lose isolation regardless of the eartip.

but trust me, the westone 3 will not have more bass. you will appreciate the isolation though.

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #41 of 56
OK, I have went on a spending spree as of late: I now own the Sennheiser IE8, Hippo VB, Hippo Shroom-i, Turbine Pro Gold/Copper/Tributes (yes all three), Westone 3/UM3X (UM3X is on the way), original Turbines but I sold them and the Beats by Dre Studios. So far I am waiting for break-in and will get back to you guys with a further in-depth review/impression of all of these. So far I love all of the Turbine Pros (still waiting for the Gold's) and the IE8 is growing on me. The Hippo VB is suprising me everyday, seriously this is the best bang for the buch no question. I prefer the Turbine Pro's but I need to jump into the portable amp arena and am down to either the Vulcan VB, Magnum, Lisa III, Arrow, PicoSlim or possibly an RSA amp. I am leaning towards the Vulcan because of the variable bass options but am open to suggestions. I would say if you could get any of these I would go for the VB's for the cheapest version or any of the Turbine Pro's. I like the IE8 but not as much as my TBP's. I am going to be selling a lot of these eventually (except for the Monster ones because I LOVE them). Thanks for all the help guys.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #42 of 56
good lol looking forward to your impressions/notes on all of them.

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

OK, I have went on a spending spree as of late: I now own the Sennheiser IE8, Hippo VB, Hippo Shroom-i, Turbine Pro Gold/Copper/Tributes (yes all three), Westone 3/UM3X (UM3X is on the way), original Turbines but I sold them and the Beats by Dre Studios. So far I am waiting for break-in and will get back to you guys with a further in-depth review/impression of all of these. So far I love all of the Turbine Pros (still waiting for the Gold's) and the IE8 is growing on me. The Hippo VB is suprising me everyday, seriously this is the best bang for the buch no question. I prefer the Turbine Pro's but I need to jump into the portable amp arena and am down to either the Vulcan VB, Magnum, Lisa III, Arrow, PicoSlim or possibly an RSA amp. I am leaning towards the Vulcan because of the variable bass options but am open to suggestions. I would say if you could get any of these I would go for the VB's for the cheapest version or any of the Turbine Pro's. I like the IE8 but not as much as my TBP's. I am going to be selling a lot of these eventually (except for the Monster ones because I LOVE them). Thanks for all the help guys.

wow, that's awesome. I wasn't too impressed with the Shrooms. I read that they were like the RE0's but with more bass.. I think they actually have less bass because after 50 hours the RE0's bass came out and alive more so. They were a bit too bright for my taste too. The Hippo VB's are indeed awesome for the price.. but yea, I love my MTPC's way more than anything I have at the moment...

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by NullZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope your IE8's are the real one, as you bought them from eBay. :p

Actually I was really concerned about them being fake and thankfully the seller let me cancel the order after I told him I had a pair and would know if they were fake. I got the refund the next day, so obviously they weren't legitimate. I ended up getting my pair from eCost for $210 and bought the extended 3 year accidental warranty for another $40. eCost is an authorized dealer and trust me these are real. Too bad this deal is no longer available but in all honesty I can't believe I got them for that price. Maybe I'll sell them one day, they have a transferable warranty so that has to increase their value. But for now I am content with them, actually I love all my IEM's. Even the Shroom-i impressed me, seriously they are pretty good. Never heard the original but these are great when used with my iPhone for making a few calls. Now I need to get an amp and better portable rig. Any suggestions?

I think I'm going to get a Triad Audio Lisa III STD and an Arrow. I have also considered the Vulcan VB or Magnum because I decided whichever amp I get needs to be good at boosting bass. Lisa III is a little bulky but seems like my best possible option.

So far I LOVE my Turbine Pros, every model. I need to dedicate some more time to listening to create a detailed review. Look for my review in about two weeks so I can have proper burn-in and a couple amps to provide as much information as possible. I'm an engineer so I always go a little overboard on anything that's analytical. If you can't wait I suggest you grab up on any of the Turbine Pro's and I promise that you won't be dissapointed. Or if your cash is low get the VB's and they won't let you down, mine still suprise me everytime I listen to them. Get back to you soon.
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back