Help deciding the best bass IEM for a "bass-head" with SQ, would like iPhone capabilities but not essential
Mar 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

sdotfire

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have been doing tons of research on your website and have even resorted to calling most of the big name manufactures (Shure, Grado, Monster, Klipsch, UE, Westone, Senn., etc.). So basically my main source for audio is from my iPhone 3G-S and I am used to extreme bass. I have two Alpine Type-R 12" subs in my car and upgraded speakers, so I am definetely not an audiophile by any means. Currently, I own the Beats by Dre Studio headphones and I'm sure to the most people in this forum's dismay I love them. I mainly listen to rap and hip/hop with some alternative and classic rock and these phones deliver the ultimate bass experience while still having ample high-ends (after a bunch of EQ adjustments of course). But I want an IEM that is on par or better than the Studio's I own as far as the same or better "boom" factor with the bass levels while still maintaining good SQ at the high end. So below is the list that I have narrowed it down to based on my research (not in any order).

Senn. IE8
Westone 3 or UM2
Klipsch Image X10i
Monster Turbine Pro Gold
Monster Beats by Dre Tour or Diddy Beats (Mainly because of ControlTalk)
Shure SE530 (or wait for the SE535?)
UE Super.fi 5 eb (I think you have to spend extra $50 to get a miced cable)
Monster Turbine
Hippo VB

So basically I am wondering if anyone has heard any of these and could help me out here. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. I know that this has been asked before in another thread but I didn't get all the information I wanted. I have heard everyone rave about the Westone 3, Senn. IE8, and Shure SE530 but based on my the way I am intending to listen to my music what would be your best suggestion. I was hoping someone could break down the best IEM overall without an external portable amp to suite my music needs. The best IEM with an amp, and the best IEM that is compatible with the iPhone 3G-S. All of these being centered at having great bass and SQ.

I talked to Sean Sullivan at Shure and he claims that the SE530 have three drivers and two of them are dedicated to only the low end, but I have read on the internet that its the opposite and theres only one for low end and to identical drivers for high-end. He was a good guy though and he even recommended the Turbine Pros which is odd for a company to recommend a product they don't make. But I have a feeling that the SE530's will probably have a very crisp low-end sound and will not reach the extreme lows or produce the "thump" that I want. So do I really need to get an external portable amp to satisfy my "bass-head" needs? I am really new to these portable amps and have no idea what to get or look for, I am hoping that if I need one I can find one with EQ capabilites because the iPhone is very restricted in it's EQ setting. But I have noticed that with the Studios I own they sound much better when connected to my computer as opposed to my iPhone. I am definetely a bass-head and would prefer to have the control-talk feature but I originally ordered 2 pairs of the Beats by Dre Tours and each of them had the right ear-bud blow out within 30 minutes. That is why I upgraded to the Studios and after many complaints (I'm really good at that) I was able to get the Studios for $200 and they sent me a free control-talk cable and extended my warranty to three years. Otherwise, there is no way I could justify spending that much on them, I still feel like I overpayed but to my suprise I really love them.

Anyways, what do you guys think the best IEM for me would be? I am leaning towards the Monster TBP, Shure SE530, Westone 3's, or the Diddy beats (only because of the control-talk feature). If the Turbine Pro's came with that I would've all ready bought them. I have called a lot of people and done a lot of research and most companies pointed me towards your web-site and it seems the general feeling here is that Monster is overpriced and of bad quality. So based on the music I listen to and my needs what do you think the best route would be? I know that UE custom 11 or 18 would be my best bet but there's no way I can justify spending that much money on IEM's. So again I would like to know which IEMs would be the best overall for my needs without an amp, the best with an amp, and the best that at least have a mic for the iPhone (would really like the volume and skip-track feature but that won't make or break my choice). I am going to make a decision soon, so any advice would be much appreciated. I know that I have pretty much the exact opposite in music taste and many people will be deterred by my thread started with "bass-head"; however, I have heard good things about your website and am hoping someone will help me out. Thanks a lot,

Sdotfire

Mar 26, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 56
The IE8 is great for bass. There is an knob control that increases the bass by closing off the "open" part of the IEM. There is also a midbass hump that the makes the music "bump/boom" but it does drown out the mids (which I guess since you listen to hiphop and rap it doesn't really matter).

I also have the original monster turbines and they delivered the ummph needed for hiphop so I can imagine the pros would also fit your needs greatly.

Mar 26, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 56
I can only comment on IEM's i have heard but i love my Panasonic HJE900's. I love big bass and they bring the bass for sure. Also while having the big bass seem to balance fairly well at the same time. You can also get em from J&R FOR $109 plus shipping.

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 56
I've become so bass-oriented these days, that Shure SE530s need a little help for me to enjoy them. I purchased the Klipsch Image S4s recently and got the thump going and haven't looked back. Problem now is I've grown somewhat weary of excessive and muddy bass I get with the S4/Shure grey tips (large) which are needed for my large ear canals...so just got Klipsch large bi-flange gel tips and popped those on the S4s, and found they're definitely too small to get fullness of sound. Kinda wierd too, in that the lack of seal/closure attenuates the excessive bass pretty good - it just doesn't sound right or feel right and not sufficient isolation either. Very empty-headed feeling.

Run MP3Gain on the music library and load up the iPod with gain tags set to -89DB, then do "Bass Boost" EQ setting (I know, I know, EQ is sacrilege but oh well)...pump THAT into some Shure SE530 phones and you've got something special there. With the large grey tips installed that combo really has it all, no amp needed and plenty of muscle-bound bass. And no encroachment into other frequencies as the Shures know how to deliver mids like no other.

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 56
Thanks happyxix, How would you compare the IE8's with the normal Monster Turbine's as far as bass and SQ. I thought that the Turbines also came with an adjustable bass knob but I could be wrong. For some reason they only offer the Turbines with the control-talk feature and don't with the Pros.

Thanks TouchOfEvil, do the Pan come with an iPhone feature or mic? Or do any of they're higher end models.

Right now its between the IE8's, the Turbine or Turbine Pros depending on which bass and SQ is better, or the Westone 3's because I heard they are unreal. I am still open to suggestions about the SE530 as well and the upcoming SE535 if anyone knows how these compare to the other IEM's I'm considering.

Can anyone enlighten me somewhat on external portable amps? I am wondering if they are necessary for IEM's and if so which IEM would benefit the most from an amp.

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 56
vrananswer, so would go with the SE530's over the Westone 3's or TBP golds? With the right seal which is going to be the best bass monster, I want to feel like I have a sub in my head while not completely drowning out the highs. Also, do you know how the Klipsch S4's compare to the image X10's? I called Klipsch and they claimed the X10 were unreal with bass and they have all the iPhone features. But I talked to Shure and was really interested in the SE530 but am wondering if I should wait for the SE535 to come out if there are any substantial upgrades since these phones were originally made in 08 and they will probably be a drastic price drop for the 530s. But not having to invest money into an amp would be nice, along with not making my iPhone any bulkier. I think that these may be a very viable option, once I know how they compare to the W3's, TBP's, and the IE8's I should be good to go.

So right now its still between Turbines or TBP golds, SE530 (or wait for newer model), IE8, Westone 3, or the X10's. But Klipsch is obviously going to say they have the best product so I am kind of suspicious of how good they will actually sound and they are just soo small.

God I wish I just bought a pair right away, the more research I do the more options I have. I will probably go with either the IE8, TBP gold, SE530, and possibly I'll sack up and buy the expensive W3's if they are really worth it. But the others are still not out of the question.

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 56
I had my IE8s for about 2 weeks now? And I think sufficiently put enough time on these to burn in and boy did they burn in. I didn't believe in burn in until now. SQ wise the monster had a larger low bass presence but the IE8 have sufficient low bass (especially when tuning bass to max on knob) and maybe over abundance with midbass (But I EQ it down a bit to suit more general music since I have a large variety of songs). The midbass does make the music thump more. After EQ and mids and highs belongs to the IE8 hands down. I'm not good at describing SQ but trust me with the soundstaging offered by the IE8, the mids and highs really makes it sound apart from the Turbines.

That said I have no idea about the turbine pros. You have to go to other threads for that but you definatly will not be disappoint with the SQ of the IE8.

Another thing i noticed was that I quickly became bored with the Turbines. The sound became very...dead. Yes the bass was there but not enough highs to make the song come alive. I had them for under a year and it broke on me 2 times. Monster was quick to replace it though so thats good on their part. I mainly went for the IE8 due to the replaceable cable. And when I got them I'm amazing how sturdy the cable actually is. There are also subtle differences such as fits and isolation and stuff but I believe those are covered in like every thread discussing the products.

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 56
Tried both the IE8 and Ortofon yesterday. Must say that the Ortofon had a smoother bass, and doesn't lose to the IE8 much in terms of bass body.

Personally preferred the Ortofon~

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 56
OK, after a grip of research I'm still debating what to get but I think I'm going to sack up and grab the Hippo VB's everyone on this forum says they murder every IEM in bass and have great soundstage. The adjustable bass ports seems really amazing too. Have any of u heard these? Because I'm about to purchase them but don't know if they are compatible with my iPhone and I pray they have some mic cable or something which I truly doubt. So do you all think this is the best decision? I mean they are only $80 and my other previous options were much more expensive; however, I'm not sure how legitimate Jaben is. But, I will be mainly using these for golf and don't want to bust a pair of $300+ IEM's on the course after I bomb a 320 yard drive (1 away from being q scratch golfer...). Anyways, I'm sorry if this has been asked in another thread but how do the VB compare to my other choices: IE8, Wes 3 or UM2, MTP gold, Turbine, UE super.fi eb or Shure SE530? I heard the VB is comprable to the UE 11 on this forum!!! Which if that is true then it's a done deal. Any help or input would really help me out and I'd appreciate it, Thanks.

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdotfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, after a grip of research I'm still debating what to get but I think I'm going to sack up and grab the Hippo VB's everyone on this forum says they murder every IEM in bass and have great soundstage. The adjustable bass ports seems really amazing too. Have any of u heard these? Because I'm about to purchase them but don't know if they are compatible with my iPhone and I pray they have some mic cable or something which I truly doubt. So do you all think this is the best decision? I mean they are only $80 and my other previous options were much more expensive; however, I'm not sure how legitimate Jaben is. But, I will be mainly using these for golf and don't want to bust a pair of $300+ IEM's on the course after I bomb a 320 yard drive (1 away from being q scratch golfer...). Anyways, I'm sorry if this has been asked in another thread but how do the VB compare to my other choices: IE8, Wes 3 or UM2, MTP gold, Turbine, UE super.fi eb or Shure SE530? I heard the VB is comprable to the UE 11 on this forum!!! Which if that is true then it's a done deal. Any help or input would really help me out and I'd appreciate it, Thanks.

im in the same boat almost. just ordered IE8's, Monster Coppers and Miles Davis. i think anyone involved with this forum is insane so i decided i would be too. im looking for a good deal on eq7 now as well. ill keep what i like best i guess. after that? an amp..........and away we go.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

I bought my VBs because of it's reputation and I don't regret it at all.. they work great with my iPhone. IMO they are a great deal. VBs sound great with a lot of burn in. I haven't heard the other higher end IEMs mentioned here but I have coppers on the way so we'll see...

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

I have all the iems mentioned in this thread except for the vbs and original monster turbines,the monster pros need amping to reach there full potentual, the ie8s needs eqing to remove the mid bass hump and clean up the vocals, which leaves an adequate ,not massive bass,se530 has two woffers, one for bass and one for mids, and one tweeter, bass is good ,but lacking in the lower frequencys,ortofons bass is powerfull but will not have the fullness of sound you require in your bass.
I think if you want great top end and deep thumping bass without an amp you should get the westone 3, these are very easy too drive and have a big powerfully bass,

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 56
Quote:

I had VBs for a while - excellent, strong and clear (not muddy) bass. Probably more like a sub-woofer than most. Most people end up using the middle (two dot) plates, but a mix of plates works, also. They certainly have an excellent soundstage and nice clarity. I never noticed the harsh treble/sibilance that others have complained about (but I have rather old ears).

No, the VBs do not have a mic option.

Jaben (Uncle Wilson's) is quite legitimate. Mine were delivered to my US address (from Korea?) in less than a week for free, and Uncle Wilson's was quite nice in honoring the 14-day return policy when I decided they had more bass than I care for after 100 hrs of burn-in (and I prefer a "pause" button).

Don't have any of the others in your list, but the VBs have been compared positively to IE8 in other threads.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #14 of 56
Hey lucozade, So now you got me really interested in the Westone 3, how do they differ from the UM3X. I noticed that they have a mic option for the iPhone but I can't find them for under $300 I really want to spend under $200 but will spend the extra money if I have to. I've heard on this forum that some websites will hook up head-fi members (the site may have been earphonesolutions.com not sure?). The 3's have three seperate BA drivers and I read that they don't interact with an amp as well as Dynamic drivers do. So for DEEP thumping bass (I want it to sound like the Beats by Dre Studio or a sub in my head) the 3's are my best bet without an amp? (or are the UM3X?)

I read a lot of reviews on the IE8 and it seems like they have thumping bass out of the box but various reviewers referred to them as having a "burn-out" feature as opposed to the supposed burn-in. I really want thumping bass and am wondering what would give me the the deepest and lowest frequency bass when using an amp (I'm under the assumption now that the Westone 3's or Hippo VB will have the best bass without an amp). Will it be the IE8's or the bigger driver VB's or the Shure SE530 or even the TBP gold. Both the Shure and Monster's should be capable of overcoming thier mid-bass hump with an amp and EQing I would hope.

Any suggestions on a good preferably affordable amp? One that would fit very well with my iPhone 3G-S? Do portable amps have EQ setting to play around with, because the iPhone has weak set equalizer settings. Unless someone knows a way around that since there is no EQ app.....stupid Apple.

vrananswer, what was that MP3Gain program that apparently made the SE530 would sound like a sub in my ear. Is it compatible with iTunes? I have tried changing each individual song's EQ setting in my library but can't get it to transfer over to my phone. My iPhone even syncs the songs I messed around with but every song ALWAYS returns to whatever EQ setting my iPhone is on. I have called Apple and iTunes I'd capable of making custom EQ settings but it doesn't transfer over so it's just ridiculous! The Apple tech recommended I change each individual song then burn it to a disc and put it back on my library. Like I have time for that bs, does anyone know a way around this or will I have to purchase a portable amp?

So do I have the full list of supposed bass-monsters, preferably with iPhone capabilities? Or does anyone have any other suggestions. When I spoke with Sean Sullivan from Grado he claimed that Balanced Armature Drivers are flat and be didn't suggest them for my specific music tastes. That's why I am a little suspicious of the 3's but I have heard great things.

Again thx for your input guys, and if anyone knows of any deals (I just missed Dell dumping the TBP golds for $180!!!!!!!) or wants to sell any of these pairs I would be extremely grateful.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #15 of 56
Do not get the Tour. They do not sound anything like the Studios and have anemic deep bass.

The Metro.Fi 170 and 220 are great choices, have the same bass impact as the Studios in a little, affordable package.

If you want to get fancier get the Monster Turbines, which sound almost the same as the Studio Beats.

Shre SE530 doesn't have as much power in the low end, don't recommend especially for the price. If you want something like the SE530 get the Klipsch X10 instead, which has a smoother sound and same nice meaty low end similar to the Metro.Fi's, but smoother and somewhat less impactful.

Have not yet heard the SF5 EB or Turbine Gold, or Westy 3 and UM2 or the Hippo.

Senn IE8 has nice impact as well. Highs and mids are more smoothened compared to the Studios, but the emphasis goes a lot to the bass. Not a bad choice at all.

I still want to try out the Diddy Beats and the Monster Jamz, I honestly think Jamz would be a better choice consider the Beats IEM line forerunner disappointed me (Tours).

From what I understand the Turbine vanilla will be better for you than the Turbine Pro Gold, you mentioned you're not an "audiophile" which means from my experience you will probably like the "low end" thump of bassy "low end IEMs" more than the high end ones. (I'm like that myself)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back