Help decide by tomorrow Sennheiser HD598 or Denon AHD2000?
Jul 23, 2011 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

redbird

New Head-Fier
I need to end my search! I have been reading the forums and researching the following two phones and I want to pull the trigger, but I need help!! I prefer closed phones, but if the sound is sooo good from the Sennheiser I am willing to make the purchase. I want a detailed fast pace rhythmic sound (Nothing Laid back) I heard the HD598 is actually a little faster/forward sound compared to the HD650? Which would you guys recommend? the HD598/HD650 or Denon AHD2000? I will be using a Schiit Headphone amp.

Thanks,
Matt

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 5
Hello Redbird, 

Which kind of music you listen to? 

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 5
I've listened to both, here's my short cross:

The Hd598 and Denon ahd2000 are cans that would allow anyone to listen to any genre of music

But there are some faults:

HD598: Not so portable as you would wish. Needs to be tethered to a amp for best sound quality. Plastic body turns people off.

AHD2000: Not as comfitable as you would wish, heavier, not enough bass impact. More expensive and not worth as value as much as the HD598

That's the negatives

The positives:

HD598: $180 if you call up J&R, rival 325i in SQ, extremely comfy, light, lots of bass impact, good looks. Tank-like construction

AHD2000: Nice bass, shaved highs (good way), metal construction, softer feel, doesn't need an amp.

Go for the HD598 is you have an amp. Go for the AHD2000 if you want more portable. You can't really go wrong with both.

Also, if your running from a good source, Cowon, Sansa, you won't need an amp with the HD598.

I would, as I did, with the HD598

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 5
I currently own both. The HD598 can sound a bit thin compared to the D2000, as the Denon has wonderfully deep, powerful bass. However, what bass the HD598 does have is detailed, tight, and textured. The D2000 can, at times, be just a tad too boomy and muddy. I wouldn't call either particularly laid-back headphones. The HD598s have a better, bigger soundstage than the D2000, though the D2000 is really quite good for a closed headphone. It doesn't sound claustrophobic like many closed headphones do. The HD598 also excels in the midrange compared to the D2000, which is slightly recessed in some midrange areas.

Both are comfortable. The HD598 has more clamping force, but is lighter on the head.

Really, they're both great do-it-all headphones. I think the HD598 offers a more balanced, smooth/natural sound than the D2000, but I've also come to love the midrange on the HD598. Prior to owning the HD598, I didn't think the D2000 had recessed mids. Still, I'd use my D2000 for bass-heavy music any day over the HD598. In other words, the D2000 has more of a U shaped frequency response curve, while the HD598 is closer to an upside down U shape.

You can't go wrong with either. If you have any other specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back