Help Convincing Friend that ATH-M50's Are Superior to Beats
Aug 3, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #31 of 46

Quote:
...I'm pretty sure there's a picture floating around of Dre wearing M50's to track some music.

As a fellow whippersnapper, it's nigh on impossible to convince a girl that they're not really right without stepping on their toes a bit. But it seems like the marketing thing is out of the way, and explained beautifully.

Do you have a bit of extra cash? Like $15? If you guys like rock or indie, getting a pair of Koss KSC75 is a good control headphone (cheap, unassuming, but pretty great for what they are, and I like them more than Beats for genres the Beats aren't good at--duh) to compare the two.

And then you can try the a-b-a approach with both. Make her listen to a song with her Beats, then M50, then Beats again. If she says she can't hear a difference, tell her that upgrading to the Pros is nonsensical in comparison to the cost of the M50's, although all things considered, I think the Pros sound like an upgraded M50....I'm pretty sure there's a picture floating around of Dre wearing M50's to track some music.

Hey! Nice to meet another whippersnapper, haha. And yeah, those girls, what are you going to do? But I actually don't have any extra cash on me, sadly. But I'll tell her to get the Koss since she probably does. Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Because she's thinking about buying another pair of Beats. (Pro or Gaga. Hilariously, the Gagas have the best frequency response of the IEM's, and I think the whole line.) 

Haha, really? They do? And yeah, I was really hoping to get her to purchase a good pair. But if the Gagas have the best frequency and she wants them later on, I'll try to get her to buy something else, but hey, it's the "best" so it'd be fine-ish, haha. She's willing to spend $40-$50 though. Any suggestions?

Aug 3, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #32 of 46
why bother? if she wants to be stubborn then let her be. all you can do is make a suggestion to try your headphones and see if she likes it. from my take she doesn't really care about audio quality and need something more as a fashion statement. just leave her be. let her believe what she wants. there is no need to force anyone into liking something even if yourself consider it ''better''. it's her money.

Aug 3, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #33 of 46
...where is she getting Gaga's for $50? And technically (apparently) they aren't terrible, but they were very...unlike something I'd think Gaga would promote. They sounded boring imo--my Gaga loving galpal got a pair and wasn't exactly impressed either.

You know what music she likes right? MEElectronics stuff goes for stupidly cheap on Amazon in she wants IEM's. The SP51 is the safest choice because of the ability to tune the sound with different ports (from bassier-than-Beats to about equal, maybe less than the M50's). If she wants something that looks nice, the CC51 looks great. 

There's also the Portapro, but the look is an acquired taste.

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #34 of 46
My friend got herself a pair of Beats by Dre Studios and insists that they have higher definition than my ATH-M50 just because they have the word "Studio" and the name "Dr. Dre" pasted on them while completely ignoring the fact that the ATH-M50's are the flagship of Audio-Technica's "Studio Headphones" line.
How should I try to enlighten her about ACTUAL headphones and get her to drop the belief that Beats by Dre contain 1337 hax that make them better in every way to other headphones?

The most you could do is offer a A/B comparison.

But if she likes her headphones why would you care?
Because she's thinking about buying another pair of Beats. (Pro or Gaga. Hilariously, the Gagas have the best frequency response of the IEM's, and I think the whole line.) 

I was posting those questions to the OP.

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #35 of 46
Actually, I'm pretty sure Dr. Dre uses his Beats Pro in his studio, that explains the delays in the release of Detox, he can never get the right mix.

/joke

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #36 of 46
You can't fight broken logic with more broken logic. If you really want to impose your views that badly, just have her listen to the M-50. Maybe trade headphones for a day or something. Or maybe if she's too engorged with the marketing, do a blind-ish AB test. If my sister can tell that the Beats Studio sound like tinny computer speakers compared to her $12 MEElec M6, your friend can too with the M-50. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #38 of 46
Trying to convince people that the beats are not good/over priced rarely result in success IMO, the best case senario for me is that when tried I convinced a friend of mine that the beats are not good/over priced, he just ignored me opinons, but since then when ever a pair of headphones are involved, he would ask me about it. 
atsmile.gif

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #39 of 46
Alright, it seems like the general consensus is to either let her enjoy them or to have her do an A/B test. I'm going to have her do an A/B test once we get our headphones together and if she likes mine better, I'll just help her buy one to go alongside her Beats.
Thanks to everyone who posted!

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #41 of 46
http://ishareevents.us/what-gear-does-legendary-rap-beatmaker-dr-dre-use-in-his-studio/

"Of course Dr Dre endorses Beats By Dre headphones. The Studio models are quite expensive however there are some cheaper ones. Real rap producers don’t use headphones; they use monitor speakers. But the headphones look nice."

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #42 of 46

Quote:
http://ishareevents.us/what-gear-does-legendary-rap-beatmaker-dr-dre-use-in-his-studio/

"Of course Dr Dre endorses Beats By Dre headphones. The Studio models are quite expensive however there are some cheaper ones. Real rap producers don’t use headphones; they use monitor speakers. But the headphones look nice."

I'm not sure that site looks trustworthy. From the same article:

Quote:
Toothpaste

No discussion of music production equipment would be complete without a note on toothpaste. Dre has been a long time proponent of dental hygiene. He likes to use AquaFresh Fluoride Toothpaste to prevent cavities and leave his breath fresh. Of course he also gets his teeth professionally whitened to keep him looking his best for music videos and red carpet events.

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #43 of 46

Users who are viewing this thread

Back