Help confused girl!
Aug 6, 2008 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

totsie

New Head-Fier
I've just bought a HP Laptop with standard soundcard and
since I´m a girl who enjoys listening to music I would like
a pair of headphones to match my new friend.

I´ve done some research by myself, wich only gave me headache and a long list of possible buys.

Koss UR18
KOSS UR40

Philips SHP895
Philips SHP8900

Sennheiser HD 437
Sennheiser HD 212 Pro
Sennheiser HD 201
Sennheiser HD 205
Sennheiser HD 515
Sennheiser HD 202
Sennheiser HD 477

AKG 518 DJ
AKG K 514
AKG K 512
AKG K 530

Grado SR60

As you can see my budget Is pretty wide, simply because
I don't know how much money I´m supposed to spend considering
the soundcard and the fact that my history of headphones only contains standard **** earphones.

High quality and comfort beat good looks!

Well that´s about it, I look forward hearing your expert opinions
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 44
Laptop onboard sound cards tend to produce a lot of system noise - an audible hiss and noise that you can hear. So I would start by upgrading your source, maybe a small portable DAC/amp?

But if you are unwilling to dig that deep in and plan on sticking with your sound card, I would go for headphones with low impedance (easier to drive). If you tell us some of your musical preferences that would make it easier for us to make some recommendations. What do you listen to?

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 44
totsie,
I recommend getting either the Alessandro ms1s or Sennheiser HD555s. They are the two best cans that don't need an amp that I can think of for under $100.

To get the best sound out of them make sure all sound effects, dsp, and whatever processing like dolby, etc... and eq are turned off on your computer. Also, let your cans burn in for at least 50 to 100 hours before judging the sound quality. The 555s are especially notorious for sounding thin out of the box. All of this is based on my experience and not just from reading other posts on headfi.

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Laptop onboard sound cards tend to produce a lot of system noise - an audible hiss and noise that you can hear. So I would start by upgrading your source, maybe a small portable DAC/amp?

But if you are unwilling to dig that deep in and plan on sticking with your sound card, I would go for headphones with low impedance (easier to drive). If you tell us some of your musical preferences that would make it easier for us to make some recommendations. What do you listen to?

Definitely not the case. For example, my laptop output has no audible noise to bother anyone using variety of headphones (save very sensitive IEMs). A headphone will do fine without getting any extra equipment...

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 44
You'd probably want to avoid anything Grado or Alessandro. While the sound, they're not very comfortable at all. Any of Sennheiser's curcumaural (around-ear) headphones are very comfortable, especially the HD555, which I can heartily recommend to you.

However, you might not want to spend $100 on headphones. If not, go for the HD201.

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd probably want to avoid anything Grado or Alessandro. While the sound quality is great, they're not comfortable at all. Any of Sennheiser's curcumaural (around-ear) headphones are very comfortable, especially the HD555, which I can heartily recommend to you.

However, you might not want to spend $100 on headphones. If not, go for the HD201.

The stock comfy pads on the alessandro have decent comfort. It is the models that come with bowls that are a toss up in comfort that depends on the size of your ears. To me for example, I have no comfort issues with bowl pads since my ears can get inside without touching the edges of the bowls. In other words they are circumaural to my ears.

And yes... If you want to spend less than ms1s and the 555s, I recommend the sr60s(also come with comfy pads) from your list.

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 44
Hello totsie and welcome to head-fi.

While I can't comment on the list of headphones in your OP, I can however recomend the Denon AH-D1001 for straight out of the laptop. Although not my ideal listening situation, I still feel that using these phones, HP laptop and foobar2000 sound pretty good.

I hope this helps.

Scott

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock comfy pads on the alessandro have decent comfort. It is the models that come with bowls that are a toss up in comfort that depends on the size of your ears. To me for example, I have no comfort issues with bowl pads since my ears can get inside without touching the edges of the bowls. In other words they are circumaural to my ears.

Okay, that's fair. I just got my SR60 and a pair of bowls (hence the SR60/80 in my sig), and I haven't tried the bowls yet. With only a few hours of head time using the comfies, I may just need to get used to it. In fact, the ear aching that I get is very similar to what I had with my eH-150, and that disappeared with time. You, sir, have Proven Me Wrong*.

[size=xx-small]*Proving espire Wrong is not actually very difficult to do[/size]

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, that's fair. I just got my SR60 and a pair of bowls (hence the SR60/80 in my sig), and I haven't tried the bowls yet. With only a few hours of head time using the comfies, I may just need to get used to it. In fact, the ear aching that I get is very similar to what I had with my eH-150, and that disappeared with time. You, sir, have Proven Me Wrong*.

[size=xx-small]*Proving espire Wrong is not actually very difficult to do[/size]

hehehe it all depends on the user really. Personally, a clamp on my head used to be more offensive than abrasive pads on my ears until i got used to my ad2000s which made my hd600s tame in gripping my skull in comparison
biggrin.gif

Looking at most users comments, you cant ignore the general consensus of grados being uncomfortable despite their lack of a vise grip clamp.

Bottom line in comfort... Its a toss up whether the 555s or the ms1s are more comfortable. If you have small ears that lay flat on your head... chances are you wont mind the grado pads discomforts.

Aug 6, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #15 of 44
I'm sorry that I have no experience with any of OP's mentioned headphones.

Though I'd like to suggest Grado SR-80. At that price range, it seems to garner a lot of love from head-fi users. The only Grado I have personally heard at 'length' is the GS-1000. Also it'd be nice if you can include your budget in concrete numbers.

Just my 2cents. Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back