Help confused girl!
Aug 6, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #16 of 44
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your purse
evil_smiley.gif

+1 vote for the SR60. It was my first "audiophile" headphone, and it made me understand what all the Grado fanboyism (or fangirlism?) was about
smily_headphones1.gif

And since it uses comfy pads, its actually quite a bit easier on the ears than their top-tier models like the RS-1, as sad as that is. The SR60 is also quite forgiving of poor sources/amplification, so it makes a good entry point.

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATH-AD700

Seconded. They are extremely comfortable, do everything either great or well, and have a huge soundstage for immersion. Think you can find them for about $120 which may be a bit high but is worth every penny.

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #18 of 44
I've owned the SR60, and I found them uncomfortable. Actually any headphone that sits on the ear itself is uncomfortable for me after an hour or two even if I stretch the band to reduce the pressure.

My favorite headphone for casual listening (laptop etc), is the Denon D1001 which is only $80 or less. It has earcups which surround the ears and I've gone hours without discomfort.

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seconded. They are extremely comfortable, do everything either great or well, and have a huge soundstage for immersion. Think you can find them for about $120 which may be a bit high but is worth every penny.

Thirded. Amazing entry level headphones, the soundstage will blow your mind.

Aug 6, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #20 of 44
I really don't get ATs Philosophy if the ad700s soundstage is better than that of the $600 AD2000. To me the ad2000s soundstage wasn't even as good as hd555s

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't get ATs Philosophy if the ad700s soundstage is better than that of the $600 AD2000. To me the ad2000s soundstage wasn't even as good as hd555s

I've never heard the AD2000's before but could it be a fit issue or do they need to be amped properly? I find that the W5000 has a bigger stage than the AD700's and it's a closed phone.

Aug 6, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #28 of 44
Ive heard that doing the phatpad mod improves the soundstage but as they are, the soundstage is definitely less than even the lower end audiophile model senns (5x5s). And yes ive also heard the w5ks supposedly having a bigger soundstage than ad2ks no arguments there. The confusion is whether the ad700s really have a huge soundstage or are we just talking in relation to grados
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #29 of 44
I'd say go with the Koss KSC75. They're cheap and sound great even compared to much pricier cans. High end headphones aren't going to sound very good straight out of the laptop's integrated sound card either way. I bought a pair for my sister and she's very happy with them.

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait... did somebody say "girl"?

biggrin.gif

Anyway, sorry about your wallet!

Yep -- the buzz-word that's guaranteed to have gallant knights galloping to the rescue of yet another "damsel in distress"!

A sure post-magnet....
wink.gif

Ooops -- I just posted, too...err, the ES7 looks good, if they sound decent, too (I never tried them, myself).
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back