Help, closed cans to compliment AD700's
Jul 29, 2011 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kmanmx

100+ Head-Fier
 About 6 months ago i got some ATH-AD700's, and for the first time, a nice little headphone amp to go with them, the iBasso D2+ Boa. I love them for using on my PC, i use the D2+ as a DAC/AMP for listening to music and games when on my PC, and the sound is excellent. However they are not perfect, i have quite a wide varied taste of music, which occasionally means i'm listening to Dance, trance, dubstep etc. In this respect the AD700's sound nice to me, but lack the bass presence and impact that would be desirable.

I also travel occasionally, and the open AD700's are no good for this, little to no sound isolation and leak like, well, they may as well be speakers.

So i am looking for some closed cans, which have a better bass response. I don't want ugly bass which sounds like a cheep subwoofer, but i'm just looking for some fairly deep bass with good impact - relative to my modest ~£100 budget of course.

I've been looking at the M50's, which seem decent, but would appreciate any other recomendations. Closed isn't an absolute 100% must, just a preference, but if there are some open cans which are also great for what i've described, please let me know. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
I tried getting the M50s for the same reason-- to compliment the AD700s for music, but it basically turned into the M50s being used all the time for music and AD700s were relegated to gaming only.

Are you trying to say  the M50's are that much better for music ? If so, that's definitely interesting.

Quote:
Heya,

Ultrasone HFI 580's.

This will cover your dance, trance and dub for your price range very nicely. Comes with a nice carry case and stuff too.

Very best,

Thanks for that, i'll be sure to have a look at them.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 8
The AD700s definitely have some more spacious sound at their disposal compared to the M50s (and supremely comfortable to boot) but the lack of sub-bass on AD700 meant it only shined for songs few and far between.  M50 also had just as good quality detail and timbre as well.  Overall I'd say AD700 just isn't too good for music.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 8
Too me they are fine for music, but then i am not as 'hardcore' as most of the people on here. I do agree though on the comfort, i use my PC quite a lot and leaving them on for over 6 hours at a time is a non-issue, they're superb. I know the M50's or HFI 580's arn't so comfy, but i can deal with that.

Looking at a comparison of the M50 and 580 seems to suggest the 580's bass is a little less muddy, it's the only comparison i've read so far, but if thats the case it might be the one for me. My only concern with the 580 is i'm quite senstive towards any kind of harsh treble and sibilance, and these phones might cause that.

I'll have to do a bit more research before i choose between these two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back