Help choosing a new mp3 player!?
Sep 22, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #18 of 28
Thanks! It's interesting, to say the least, that Sony fails to impress in those tests. Then again, these tests don't include the X-series. Strange thing is, I've compared a lot of DAPs with an open mind, no preference for any brand at all, and in blind tests I always ended up liking the sound of the X1050 the most. I think I own pretty much every brand out there (no iRiver though) and, if available, a LOD for that brand as well. So in the end, the one that has a less than perfect RMAA graph still gives me the most enjoyable listening experience. I wonder if I would, unintentionally, change my mind if I saw conclusive evidence about the X's line-out as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #19 of 28
I love the sound of Sony generally. Warm and thick - if not wonderfully detailed for strings, I love the signature. Because of that, I've owned about 7 Sony players (3 of which were MD players) and a couple of CD walkman's. The Line Out in the A828 is a lot better than the A845, but still not as good. Simply having a line out does not a good line out make. For line out, I want pretty much neutral sound as colouration -- an artefact of the headphone amp -- should have as little affect as possible. Again, I think the whole lot of portable headphone audio isn't aimed as straight as its home counterpart - the market as a whole doesn't really know anything but portable audio.

What I don't about Sony is the hiss, but otherwise, they are fine.

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #20 of 28
@Shigzeo
u'll be very surprized if you listen to Sony e434\444. They are the coldest player i've heard
with A726 i felt clip & touch to be cold but the e434 makes clip & touch sound warmer.
& it shares the same amp from A726
It's really strange to find same amp pumping almost opposite sound sig.

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #21 of 28
I'd have to say go with the Cowon player, more specifically the J3. I started off with an 8gb S9, quickly ran out of space and got the i9 for bigger capacity. Now, I have the J3 and it's wonderful, I loved my S9 and got along fine with it. I got the J3 for one thing only, expandability.
What I didn't know I was getting was a streamline UI compared to the S9's and maybe its just me, but it seems to handle the sound a tad bit better, or maybe I've just gotten better with the EQ settings lol.

Anyways, not sure about the other Sony players, but, I have no qualms with the J3 specially with a nice little amp to seal the package.

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #23 of 28
What about the S:flo2?
I like it well enough.
It has some bugs and the UI is slightly sketchy, but it sounds good, to me anyways.
Also, Batch 4 is coming out soon, you can pre-order now, and you (hopefully) won't have to wait forever.

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #26 of 28
I think the durability of flash may be better than hard drives, however the hard drives are higher capacity for lower cost.
I'd still go flash everytime.
Thats just my opinion.

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #28 of 28

Quote:
Can someone that's heard the S:Flo2 and the Cowon S9 compare the sound signature briefly plz.  

I haven't personally herd both, but from what I've read, people generally prefer the S:flo, though the Cowon S9 has more EQ options?
ClieOS and a few others have made reviews/impression threads.
This One ->  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/461156/s-flo2-impressions-thread  I quite like.
Apparently the sound out of an S:flo is classified as 'transparent' dynamic, clean and clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back