Help - Beyer CustomOne Pros OR Something Else?
Mar 14, 2013 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rankone

New Head-Fier
Hey Everyone, 

I started a similar thread a few days ago as I was contemplating on either getting the AKG 550 or the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros & I was definitely edging towards the Custom One Pros. I've been looking at other BeyerDynamic products such as the DT770/DT880 & they definitely seem impressive hence I just wanted to know if I am making a good decision or if I should keep looking at other products as this is going to be my first pair of nice headphones in a while, I'm coming from a Sony MDR V-700 which broke but it definitely served it's purpose although it did get hot after prolonged use. I listen to music for long hours (mostly HipHop & RnB and sometimes Lounge/Chillout) so definitely comfort is a big factor and in my search apart from the AKG & BeyerDynamic cans mentioned above I came across the V-Moda m100s which seem awesome but I have no clue what their sound is like. Now I don't consider myself an audiophile and I don't even know what most of the jargon even means but I pay close attention to beats as well as vocals and how they sound especially on headphones/speakers. With that being said I was at a store and gave the Beats by Dre PRO a try. Now granted the store didn't have any HipHop on their music collection but I gave whatever they had a listen (which was alternative and electronic music), I wouldn't say it was bad but I think I was just expecting more sound wise or something different if that makes any sense, now I am not sure if it was the bitrate quality or actually the headphones but the Bass & sounds of the instruments kind of took away the focus from the vocals at high volumes almost overpowering the vocals, but what really disappointed me was the noise isolation it just didn't seem that great although it did kick in at higher volumes. From what I've seen I love the portability factor of the Custom One Pros & the m100s but would you guys recommend any other products that you think I may be interested in or should I just pull the trigger on the COPs. Is there any store in the US that sells them or any other Beyerdynamic products so that I can test them before making a purchase?

Appreciate any feedback I can get (sorry for the long post 
smily_headphones1.gif
 just seriously confused)
Thanks

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Hey Everyone, 

I started a similar thread a few days ago as I was contemplating on either getting the AKG 550 or the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros & I was definitely edging towards the Custom One Pros. I've been looking at other BeyerDynamic products such as the DT770/DT880 & they definitely seem impressive hence I just wanted to know if I am making a good decision or if I should keep looking at other products as this is going to be my first pair of nice headphones in a while, I'm coming from a Sony MDR V-700 which broke but it definitely served it's purpose although it did get hot after prolonged use. I listen to music for long hours (mostly HipHop & RnB and sometimes Lounge/Chillout) so definitely comfort is a big factor and in my search apart from the AKG & BeyerDynamic cans mentioned above I came across the V-Moda m100s which seem awesome but I have no clue what their sound is like. Now I don't consider myself an audiophile and I don't even know what most of the jargon even means but I pay close attention to beats as well as vocals and how they sound especially on headphones/speakers. With that being said I was at a store and gave the Beats by Dre PRO a try. Now granted the store didn't have any HipHop on their music collection but I gave whatever they had a listen (which was alternative and electronic music), I wouldn't say it was bad but I think I was just expecting more sound wise or something different if that makes any sense, now I am not sure if it was the bitrate quality or actually the headphones but the Bass & sounds of the instruments kind of took away the focus from the vocals at high volumes almost overpowering the vocals, but what really disappointed me was the noise isolation it just didn't seem that great although it did kick in at higher volumes. From what I've seen I love the portability factor of the Custom One Pros & the m100s but would you guys recommend any other products that you think I may be interested in or should I just pull the trigger on the COPs. Is there any store in the US that sells them or any other Beyerdynamic products so that I can test them before making a purchase?

Appreciate any feedback I can get (sorry for the long post 
smily_headphones1.gif
 just seriously confused)
Thanks

I would focus on:

Beyer DT770 LE 32ohm
AKG K167
Vmoda M100
Ultrasone HFI 580

Very best,

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 8
I know the COPs are 16 ohm but if I were to go the 770 route would the 80 / 250 ohm be relatively easy to drive from a Macbook or a Desktop, and how would they fare with portable players. Also any clue on how they are with noise isolation? I'll take a look at the other suggested cans as well (thanks for the suggestions) but can these headphones be found at a retail store in the US where I can test them? 

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

I'm pretty sure you can hear a few variants of the Beyerdynamic headphones at Guitar Center. Not sure if any other retail stores have them, might want to check local Hi-FI shops to see if they have any demo units.

Also to answer your question, you will have some difficulty with the 250 ohm version of the DT770. They will need an amplifier to reach decent listening levels. The 80ohm version is questionable. If you listen to your music very loud, you might need an amp, but a iPod, laptop, etc will power them sufficiently enough to listen to them at healthy listening levels. If you were considering the Mad Dogs, you definitely will need an amp, so keep that in mind.

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks Greed, I'll definitely make a visit to Guitar Center in that case. From my research it looks like the DT-770 80ohm version would have a nicer bass in response to the music genres that I enjoy. Hopefully they have a pair of COPs for me to compare with. My only gripe with the DT-770 is that the headphone cable isn't detachable, although I have seen mods solving this issue, anyone know how easy/hard this is to do? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back