Help audio noob with "small" budget!
Feb 7, 2008 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

wa77ss

New Head-Fier
Normally I don't just blow a lot of money into a new hobby, but I don't feel like poking around few months just to figure out what I want.

My budget is around 600$. I am looking for a nice headphone setup that I can play from my laptop (Toshiba Satellite). I am going to be ripping my CD's lossless hopefully to FLAC format, so I think its important to have some decent audio equipment.

Right now I have a pair of Sennheiser HD212's, and some Logitech Z5300-e's for speakers. Both are just okay, I know there has to be much better. I have heard some HD555's and I always thought they were nice.

I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to audio equipment really, so I could really use some recommendations! The type of music I listen to is Hip-Hop/Rap, some Jazz, a little bit of Rock, lots of Oldies...so kind of a wide variety. I am willing to buy whatever is required, just as long as I can play them from my laptop to headphones.

If there is anything else you guys need to know to help me out, let me know! Thanks so much!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 40
If you want to keep things simple and delicious - grab and iBasso D1 and HD650 if you are fine with an open headphone, or D2000 if you want a closed one.

If you want not simple - you got lots of reading to do =].

Throw me an aim/msn message, I'll help you keep your life simple...

Feb 8, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by wa77ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Normally I don't just blow a lot of money into a new hobby, but I don't feel like poking around few months just to figure out what I want.

Well, you see, that's just the thing. High-end headphones don't all sound alike. Hi-fi gear is as different sounding from each other as low-fi gear, it just has less flaws and better technical merits. So, when looking to spend big money on sound, you pretty much have to have some idea of what you want in sonic terms. So, poking around with various mid-priced options is going to go a very long way towards defining your sonic preferences, as you hear various good systems and reject them based on what works for you and what doesn't.

If you don't want to go through the ownership experience, I strongly suggest tracking down hi-fi stores that have what you want and listening to it firsthand. This way, you can figure out what you want from your system.

I really don't listen to the same music that you do, so I can't tell you exactly what you need to get. But, here are some headphone ideas for you to take a look at.

Sennheiser: HD600, HD650, HD595
Grado: RS-1, RS-2, SR-325i, SR-225
Audio-Technica: ATH-AD2000, ATH-W5000
Stax: SR-202 (2050 system), SR-003 (SR-005a system)

The Stax systems are electrostatic, and have a very different presentation from the typical dynamic systems you might be used to. They don't have as much bass thump but they have a lot more detail and are more airy sounding, and they can keep up with fast and complex music in ways which dynamic systems never can. Listen to them if you can for a very different sonic perspective. Also, they come with their own amps already included, so it's one less thing to worry about. They do absolutely require good sources - don't even think of running one from an integrated sound card!

Be warned though, when it comes to electrostats, $600 is not a big budget. Neither is $10,000 for that matter.

Feb 8, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you see, that's just the thing. High-end headphones don't all sound alike. Hi-fi gear is as different sounding from each other as low-fi gear, it just has less flaws and better technical merits. So, when looking to spend big money on sound, you pretty much have to have some idea of what you want in sonic terms. So, poking around with various mid-priced options is going to go a very long way towards defining your sonic preferences, as you hear various good systems and reject them based on what works for you and what doesn't.

If you don't want to go through the ownership experience, I strongly suggest tracking down hi-fi stores that have what you want and listening to it firsthand. This way, you can figure out what you want from your system.

I really don't listen to the same music that you do, so I can't tell you exactly what you need to get. But, here are some headphone ideas for you to take a look at.

Sennheiser: HD600, HD650, HD595
Grado: RS-1, RS-2, SR-325i, SR-225
Audio-Technica: ATH-AD2000, ATH-W5000
Stax: SR-202 (2050 system), SR-003 (SR-005a system)

The Stax systems are electrostatic, and have a very different presentation from the typical dynamic systems you might be used to. They don't have as much bass thump but they have a lot more detail and are more airy sounding, and they can keep up with fast and complex music in ways which dynamic systems never can. Listen to them if you can for a very different sonic perspective. Also, they come with their own amps already included, so it's one less thing to worry about. They do absolutely require good sources - don't even think of running one from an integrated sound card!

Be warned though, when it comes to electrostats, $600 is not a big budget. Neither is $10,000 for that matter.

Very good advices!!
What about throwing to the mix some headphones that have less emphasis on bass? Maybe you could try AKG K271. One important thing to know about you for us to give recommendation is how loud do you listen music?

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by wa77ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My budget is around 600$. I am looking for a nice headphone setup that I can play from my laptop (Toshiba Satellite). I am going to be ripping my CD's lossless hopefully to FLAC format, so I think its important to have some decent audio equipment.

Right now I have a pair of Sennheiser HD212's, and some Logitech Z5300-e's for speakers. Both are just okay, I know there has to be much better. I have heard some HD555's and I always thought they were nice.

I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to audio equipment really, so I could really use some recommendations! The type of music I listen to is Hip-Hop/Rap, some Jazz, a little bit of Rock, lots of Oldies...so kind of a wide variety. I am willing to buy whatever is required, just as long as I can play them from my laptop to headphones.

If there is anything else you guys need to know to help me out, let me know! Thanks so much!
smily_headphones1.gif

are you sure you don't mean $6000? instead of $600? did I read your post wrong?

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 40
Hahahah sorry didn't realize how expensive things could get. Needless to say $600 is a lot of money to me
frown.gif

I don't know how else I can get a good source from a laptop, it only has built in sound....

For now I'm content trying out the iBassoD1 setup with HD650's. If I don't like it, I'll sell it or something and try something different. The thing about me is, I'm not an audiophile. I just want something that will sound pretty good for lots of different music. Doesn't have to be tuned perfectly for what I have playing.

Also, I like my music kind of loud with speakers, but with headphones I don't like it too loud. Seems like its just too much to handle with headphones that close to my ears. Maybe that will change with some quality audio gear? I'm not sure.

What else would you suggest I do? Lastly, does the iBassoD1 support a Linux OS?

Feb 8, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 40
Does your Linux support USB Audio Device? if yes, then iBasso D1 compatible with your system.

If you happen to get addicted, don't blame us, and welcome to head-fi, sorry for your wallet.

Feb 8, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #10 of 40
a bit out of the range at the moment but something to possibly shoot for for a laptop setup. apogee minidac + balanced hd600?

Feb 8, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #12 of 40
If it were me I would blow my budget on the best headphones I could get. By that I mean the whole budget
wink.gif
. Look at the Grado RS-1 or RS-2, it will mesmerize you right out of your laptop.

Later on when you have more funds, then start thinking about amplification or source upgrades.

The RS-1 or RS-2 will get you hooked into this whole Head-Fi thing. Audition a pair if you can, if not, do a little more research on them. They have a very strong following for a reason.

Welcome to Head-Fi.

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesterqw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
welcome to the money sucking forum
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL .... forgot to mention that part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back