[Help and recommendations] Complimentary pair of headphones
May 21, 2023 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

exhale

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I usually do my own research and draw my own conclusions and make my own decisions when it comes to headphones. But for a while now, i'm at a loss and my issue is this: i am searching for a complimentary pair of headphones, something that goes well against my current daily driver, the He1000se and i can't seem to find anything that fits the bill. I used to search for the same for my previous pair, the Arya SE but i traded those for these and since i loved the Arya's sound signature, i also am enamored with these, too.

I listen to basically every genre of music out there (with the exception of jazz and to a lesser extent, acoustic/live music). The hekse's revealing nature makes those badly recorded / mastered tracks sound like crap. While i usually try and find a better recording of a song that i love, in some cases, there is none to be found. Still, i want to listen to said song without putting myself through brain surgery (without anesthesia). In general, both of my amps do manage to tame the brightness by a big margin but when real trash goes in, real trash comes out and not amp on this planet can help with that.

What are some of your recommendations? I prefer open back to closed ones (due to inherent resonance on closed backs, my tinnitus goes mad). My chain is PC(source) -> SMSL D400ex DAC -> Woo Audio WA6 2nd gen / Violectriv V202 amplifiers. As you can tell, i've gone for what you'd call a rather warm audio chain and this is, in part, due to the fact that most of the headphones that i really like seem to have a slight brightness to them and since i don't use EQ (nor will i ever use it), i drifted towards warm amps.

Budget should not be bigger than 2000$/1700EURO since they will be a complimentary pair and i will only listen to them occasionally. Headphones i have tried, so far and what i thought of them:

1. HD800S - when i had the Arya, i decided to give these another chance. Unlike my first time hearing them, this time i actually liked them quite a lot. Less harshness and more presence in the low registers than what i remembered. Alas, it was more of the same, when compared to the Arya (even more so now, compared to the hekse) and i found no real reason to keep them, since their specialty wasn't a weakness of either of the two Hifimans. Still, i keep thinking about them and about their distinct sound but i have a hard time seeing them as a complimentary pair of headphones.

2. Beyerdynamic T1.3 - my initial 30 minute impressions were amazing, when i first got them. They seemed to be the perfect pair for my electronica / rock needs and i didn't mind their sound one bit but sadly, the bass bleeding into the mid range made my tinnitus cry murder and, for the first time in my life, i ended up in physical ear pain after listening to a pair of headphones. Back they went.

3. LCD 2 (Bamboo fazors) - My initial pair of headphones for my EDM needs has turned out to be less than ideal. Somehow, i could not find that Audeze bass that everyone seemed to praise so much. Yes, they were a great listen for certain genres and their intimate sound made them a very good choice for EDM but just as with the T1.3, their mid range emphasis made them less than ideal for me.

4. Amiron Home - one of the more balanced headphones (for my tastes) from Beyerdynamic. I still have them but i rarely find a use for them as even with EDM, the HeKse are better thanks to their fantastic low end and with everything else, there's not even a contest between the two. I do love their warm(ish) sound signature, though and from time to time, i use them when i'm in the mood for some laid back listening but the Beyer treble peak is still there and they also show some (slight) emphasis on the mid range.

I do have 2 pairs of IEMs which have given me peace, in that category. The IE 900 and FiiO FDx are perfect, for my needs but i rarely use them when i'm at home (i prefer the comfort of my chair and the warmth of a good pair of headphones instead of having something stick inside my ear).

Thank you in advance!

May 22, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 16
To avoid a side grade, what sound signature do you want? Like one that nails vocals, or bass for EDM or Hip-hop? At this point I'd have a specific goal in mind. I've had a chance to own over 185 headphones for the business and with the stuff you've got, I'd get specific because you've already got some great stuff.

May 22, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 16
Basically, i’d be happy with an over-ear version of the IE 900. Mid range emphasis (including excess mid bass a la T1.3) is hurtful to my ears. Or even a FiiO FDx open-back version. I’d prefer it to be dynamic, since the HeKse is used with the Violectric amp (sounds better to my ears) and the WA6 isn’t getting any play time.

Also, i’d prefer open-back for the same reason (to avoid resonances as much as possible). What i forgot to mention in my OP is that i also tried a lot of the mid range offerings from Sennheiser, AT, Hifiman and many others and neither has impressed me. I have yet to listen to the 660S2 and the LCD-X rev.2021.

Edit: for mainly EDM (all genres of trance, psy, goa, progressive, house, etc.).

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 16
Hey OP, if you want to hear next level EDM headphones that are still a reference studio tuning, check out the VZR Model One. Prior to finding these, I was an Audeze guy but really only used them with the Reveal DSP to fix the tuning. No need for DSP with the VZR.

Generally, the imaging is very competitive with the $700-$1500 range but they’re $350. The boost in imaging they get is from the Crosswave acoustic lens which is like the Ultrasone system but where ultrasone does 3 things to reshape the sound these do like 10. Never before have I heard headphones sound so much like speakers.

May 24, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 16
An OG LCD-4 200 ohms. Luxurious deep leather chair in a Den with original oils on the wall sort of sound. Its got bass your HEK SE can only dream about. When the detail of the SE is too much, here is the antidote.

That LCD-4 is to the LCD-2 what the HEK SE is to the HE-400.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 16
An OG LCD-4 200 ohms. Luxurious deep leather chair in a Den with original oils on the wall sort of sound. Its got bass your HEK SE can only dream about. When the detail of the SE is too much, here is the antidote.

That LCD-4 is to the LCD-2 what the HEK SE is to the HE-400.
Are those even available anymore? Would the LCD-4z stand up to the challenge? Hell, i'm even considering a normal LCD-3 although i'm not sure it's better in the bass department than the HeKse. I'm really at a loss here, i admit. The used market is scarce, in my country and i really don't want to invest in a secondary pair of headphones more than i did in my primary ones (if possible).

Hey OP, if you want to hear next level EDM headphones that are still a reference studio tuning, check out the VZR Model One. Prior to finding these, I was an Audeze guy but really only used them with the Reveal DSP to fix the tuning. No need for DSP with the VZR.

Generally, the imaging is very competitive with the $700-$1500 range but they’re $350. The boost in imaging they get is from the Crosswave acoustic lens which is like the Ultrasone system but where ultrasone does 3 things to reshape the sound these do like 10. Never before have I heard headphones sound so much like speakers.
Thank you for the suggestion! I looked for them and ordering is only available via Amazon, in my country but even then, i think i might have a slight comfort issue with them, since i'm a big headed guy. Still, i've noted them down and will keep an eye out, in the future!

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 16
How complementary do you want to go? If you’re looking for something very different from your current pair I’d look for some different driver types, soundstaging, tone, etc.

For example, a used focal utopia or OG clear are going to have a more intimate soundstage and different sounding driver. A used atrium or auteur as well with their bio drivers.

If you’re looking for a pair to use that will be noticeably different from the hek but still make you want to listen I’d skip the lower end planars.

May 24, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 16
Are those even available anymore? Would the LCD-4z stand up to the challenge? Hell, i'm even considering a normal LCD-3 although i'm not sure it's better in the bass department than the HeKse. I'm really at a loss here, i admit. The used market is scarce, in my country and i really don't want to invest in a secondary pair of headphones more than i did in my primary ones (if possible).
Thats why I specify OG. The z is not of the same quality IMO, and the fans of the OG tend to agree. LCD-3 needs lots of EQ, not sure that could compete.
Thank you for the suggestion! I looked for them and ordering is only available via Amazon, in my country but even then, i think i might have a slight comfort issue with them, since i'm a big headed guy. Still, i've noted them down and will keep an eye out, in the future!
Well the HE-6 SE v2 when driven properly is quite good and not much like the HEK SE, better bass impact, good price.

After that a Senn 800S for the soundstage or the venerable 600 for the accurate timbre.

May 24, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 16
How complementary do you want to go? If you’re looking for something very different from your current pair I’d look for some different driver types, soundstaging, tone, etc.

For example, a used focal utopia or OG clear are going to have a more intimate soundstage and different sounding driver. A used atrium or auteur as well with their bio drivers.

If you’re looking for a pair to use that will be noticeably different from the hek but still make you want to listen I’d skip the lower end planars.
My local Focal distributor stopped ordering them due to too many customers complaining about build quality and returns were one too many. I was in talks with someone who had a Clear Mg on the used market but they weren't a person of their word since they kept saying they'll get back to me and never did. Utopias are not something i'd want to have mostly because i have listened to a few revisions (but not the Newtopis) and while great sounding, not exactly what i'd want (that and the QC issues really scare me).

Thats why I specify OG. The z is not of the same quality IMO, and the fans of the OG tend to agree. LCD-3 needs lots of EQ, not sure that could compete.

Well the HE-6 SE v2 when driven properly is quite good and not much like the HEK SE, better bass impact, good price.

After that a Senn 800S for the soundstage or the venerable 600 for the accurate timbre.
I have actually been eyeing the HE-6 SE v2 for a while and Hifiman has those for 600$ as we speak but i've read that they require modding to sound their best? I really am not the tinkerer type so modding / eq-ing is out of discussion (although i have used EQ for the LCD-2 and still have Peace installed). I can get 3.2W in 50Ohm, maximum, with my current setup so i think i might be able to drive those to decent levels. Does the He-6 retain the brightness of the HeKse? Can't tell from reviews, since they are kinda mixed but most important, do they have any sort of emphasis on the mid-bass? That's the only thing i'm avoiding right now..

Edit: Hifiman has this HE-6se and this HE-6se v2. The headband on the v2 is a bit concerning. Are there any known comfort issues?

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #10 of 16
My local Focal distributor stopped ordering them due to too many customers complaining about build quality and returns were one too many. I was in talks with someone who had a Clear Mg on the used market but they weren't a person of their word since they kept saying they'll get back to me and never did. Utopias are not something i'd want to have mostly because i have listened to a few revisions (but not the Newtopis) and while great sounding, not exactly what i'd want (that and the QC issues really scare me).

I have actually been eyeing the HE-6 SE v2 for a while and Hifiman has those for 600$ as we speak but i've read that they require modding to sound their best?
I'm the source of a lot of that mod stuff. It does appreciate a parametric EQ, new pads, replaced rear screens ($19.90). That's enough.
I really am not the tinkerer type so modding / eq-ing is out of discussion (although i have used EQ for the LCD-2 and still have Peace installed). I can get 3.2W in 50Ohm, maximum, with my current setup so i think i might be able to drive those to decent levels. Does the He-6 retain the brightness of the HeKse?
It's a bit darker then the SE.
Can't tell from reviews, since they are kinda mixed but most important, do they have any sort of emphasis on the mid-bass? That's the only thing i'm avoiding right now..

Edit: Hifiman has this HE-6se and this HE-6se v2. The headband on the v2 is a bit concerning. Are there any known comfort issues?
I don't think so, and I'm very much against mid bass fatness. But under 70 Hz, its impact is superior to the HEK SE. Headband of the v2 is not classic by any means. v1 better for sure.

Plug and play..... Your problem is that the HEK above v1 is a great can, the only shortfall is the bass impact (not timbre or quantity, it just doesn't snap). So if it were me and I was looking under 1.2k or so, it would be bass impact and maybe a bit more mellow lower treble.

May 24, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 16
I'm the source of a lot of that mod stuff. It does appreciate a parametric EQ, new pads, replaced rear screens ($19.90). That's enough.

It's a bit darker then the SE.

I don't think so, and I'm very much against mid bass fatness. But under 70 Hz, its impact is superior to the HEK SE. Headband of the v2 is not classic by any means. v1 better for sure.

Plug and play..... Your problem is that the HEK above v1 is a great can, the only shortfall is the bass impact (not timbre or quantity, it just doesn't snap). So if it were me and I was looking under 1.2k or so, it would be bass impact and maybe a bit more mellow lower treble.
I think i'll pull the plug on a pair of HE-6se v2 since they're 600$, open-box on Hifiman's website as i'm writing this. Worst case scenario, i get to return them but my only fear is the QC and not sound quality. From what i could garner, they are quite the complimentary pair to the HeKse. I was looking for a pair of dynamic driver headphones, just so i wouldn't keep my WA6 turned off all the time but i guess that's the least of my worries, right now.

Thank you for your time and advices! Yes, you were right, what i am looking for is a bit more punch in the low end and just a tad more finesse in the upper registries.

May 24, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 16
I think i'll pull the plug on a pair of HE-6se v2 since they're 600$, open-box on Hifiman's website as i'm writing this. Worst case scenario, i get to return them but my only fear is the QC and not sound quality. From what i could garner, they are quite the complimentary pair to the HeKse. I was looking for a pair of dynamic driver headphones, just so i wouldn't keep my WA6 turned off all the time but i guess that's the least of my worries, right now.

Thank you for your time and advices! Yes, you were right, what i am looking for is a bit more punch in the low end and just a tad more finesse in the upper registries.
The WA-6 is thankfully not an OTL. The bass could be a bit less punchy than on a big SS amp like my Rag 1.

I'd inspect those carefully including checking that the output is equal both sides.

Still, very viable, hopefully its what you want. The bass tends to need 30 hrs to solidify, and about 90 to settle. I would only listen to them every 10 hrs of break-in for an hour right before or after your HEK SE's to keep your ears tuned to what you are used to, not the new toy only.

May 24, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #13 of 16
The WA-6 is thankfully not an OTL. The bass could be a bit less punchy than on a big SS amp like my Rag 1.

I'd inspect those carefully including checking that the output is equal both sides.

Still, very viable, hopefully its what you want. The bass tends to need 30 hrs to solidify, and about 90 to settle. I would only listen to them every 10 hrs of break-in for an hour right before or after your HEK SE's to keep your ears tuned to what you are used to, not the new toy only.
Ah, that's the exact opposite to how i listen to new toys. I tend to give them a 2 weeks of exclusive listening and only after, i go back to my previous ones and if i spot any improvements, then they're keepers (regardless if the improvements are in 1-2 categories or simply all around). If not, back they go. I tend to not believe in burn-in but i do forget (like really, honestly forget) them on the side with music playing. Generally, during a normal day (when i'm not at work) of listening, out of 10-12 hours of music playback, i have the cans on my head for anywhere between 6 to 10 hours. I'm really curious about the bass differences since this is the category where i seem to be different from most of the people (i found the Arya SE's bass way better than the LCD-2 Fazor, for example or have found the HD800S to sound really warm in comparison to what people have stated, with really tamed highs and quite a good, although lacking in quantity, bass).

May 24, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #14 of 16
I wanted something different and ended up with a Stax system. Much different than anything else.

May 24, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #15 of 16
I wanted something different and ended up with a Stax system. Much different than anything else.
There is not enough space for a Stax / estat system at my desk, sadly. Even so, i am so happy with how the HeKse sounds that come to think about it, i wouldn’t need, per se, a second pair. It’s just that i got used with having 2 and the one big issue i have (with the HeKse) is that on many EDM tracks, the treble is also over done. That’s why i used to own the LCD 2 until i realized i really hated their sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back