Help a newb? (Thanks!)
Jul 28, 2011 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pytag

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I've been struggling to make the jump into the semi-serious audio world for awhile now and, as seems pretty common, have gotten lost along the way. While googling, I was very impressed by the feedback and quality of this forum though, so hi and thanks for any and all help!

$150-$175 price point. I listen to a wide variety of instrumental/light (movie soundtracks, post-rock stuff, or indie/folk) while the other large chunk is electronic (more of the trip hop type of stuff, not much dubstep). Source is alright (I think) Zonar DG with a supposedly alright built in amp and most everything is 320kbps. I think I favor accuracy over bass or headphones too "tuned" to any specific genre due to the wide range of music. I'm not a basshead by any means. Open are fine with maybe a slight favoring for closed due to noise isolation. I can listen for extremely long periods 4 hours + so comfort is very important as well. Currently looking at the ATH-AD700, ATH-M50, Shure SRH840, AKG K 272 HD (splurging...), and Beyer DT 990 Pro 250 ohm. I will take any and every suggestion outside of this. The one thing I'm currently really interested in looking for is something a step up from the AD700s in accuracy and soundstage since they are at the lower end of the price range. The AKGs seem the choice but they're on the expensive side. Would the Sennheiser HD595s work there? (Love the look of the 598s but it's pushing budget as well...) The Beyer's are much more base oriented correct? But they seem to be a really good deal ($170 on amazon) so do they still deliver in the other ranges? Can they be driven by an iPhone or no?

I do a respectable amount of mobile listening on an iPhone as well but do not have an amp for it. Is it even worth considering in-ear monitors like the Etymotic HF5s in this price range or is the sound significantly inferior?

Thank you very much for your time!

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 4
See if you can afford $200

Get some Sony MDR-7509HD's

Simply amazing headphones for anything you wish.

I love my MDR-V6, which are the little brother to them.

But the 7509HD are better over all aspects, cover any music/game/movie you wish and can be driven by anything

They can be used for travel, they fold to a point and are comfy around the neck. The build is strong, despite the plastic, they are built like a tank

Only problem is a coiled cord. But that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back