Help a new guy out! Sennheiser HD238 questions
Sep 2, 2010 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

KidCartaH

New Head-Fier
So I work at a law firm doing a job where I walk around at least 3 hours a day delivering things. I listen to music on my iPhone so I don't miss any calls I may get from work. I was using the crappy stock earbuds, then upgraded to some crappy Sony jobs that had the in-line remote, mic, and volume control, and now have finally settled on the Sennheiser HD228's, despite the fact they do not have all the handy controls. In fact, according to Sennheiser's website, they have no headphones with said controls.

Then I checked Apple's online store and discovered that they have a version of Sennheiser HD238's (No 228's) WITH all the handy make-my-life-totally-easier iPhone and iPod controls. So now I'm torn.

My main question is: Just how much less sound-isolating are the 238's compared to the 228's? I've checked other threads and haven't found anything concrete on this. I walk around moderately busy streets all day. I don't mind a little less sound isolation (in fact, this would probably be safer considering what I do) but if there is no sound isolation at all and I can barely hear my music with the volume cranked, then I don't want to go through the hassle of returning my 228's and ordering the 238i's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 6
I've had the hd 238 and hd 228 before, I say just go for the hd 218i. If you need a mic for your ipod real bad, the hd 228 wouldn't constitute the sound improvement over the importance of answering your calls. The hd 228 and hd 218 will sound similar to each other (the hd 228 will obviously have better sound quality, but not by much). Also, the hd 238 are very ineffecient, so they would need an amp and they would be veiled sounding without one.

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 6
Ok, great! Thanks for all the solid advice. I thought I'd have to wait days for a response, haha.

I don't absolutely need the remote and mic but it sure helps when you have to pause your music as frequently as I do or have to answer a call in the rain. I will check out the 218i's

Thanks again!
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back