Heir Audio 3.ai vs. Westone 3 vs. Westone 4 vs. Sennheiser IE80
Dec 11, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #16 of 37
Thanks for all the input guys. These are going to be my first IEMs where I wear around my ear since I've been used to wearing them straight down but what kinds of tips work well with these headphones without distorting the sound signature and provide the best comfort. 

RIght now I'm using the Miles Davis Tributes with sony hybrids for the past year and just wondering what other options are out there. I've read that Comply and the Shure Olives are good but would maybe prefer a silicon tip if possible.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #17 of 37
Im trying to decide between the W3 and 3.Ai as well. Ive read the reviews, and my understanding is that both earphones sound similar. But i have a few questions if its not too much trouble.

which has more bass quantity? extension?
which has more detail and soundstage,
and what about the mids. i dont want a mid centric earphone, i prefer a shallow v curve. i believe both models are similar in this regard, but i need speed, not smoothness.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #18 of 37
So i just tried some Shure SE215 today and comfort wise they felt great it just took some while to get them in my ear and get them in the right position. Would the 3.ai or the W3 be easier to put on and more comfortable to wear for long hours? Thanksss

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:
Also has anyone heard of the W3 Gold Edition and if there is any differences between the original W3 and the gold W3?

No difference, just marketing. 

Or...if there IS a difference they should find a new driver supplier that can supply product within specification.  That's the way I look at it.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Spyro. Have you had the regular version of the W3 or is this your first time owning any type of the W3 and if you did do remember any differences sonically?

Had regular W3 three other times.  This gold version sounds fantastic to me.  Perhaps a bit more cohesive sounding but without having them side by side I'd be afraid to speculate a true difference between the two.

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #23 of 37
Thanks for the info Spyro, reason I am asking is because I was planning on buying the W3 to try out from earphonesolutions when they have another 25-30% off deal but now they offer the Gold Limited Edition W3 for cheaper than the regular W3 so just seeing why they would price them differently than the originals. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #24 of 37
I would recommend the W4 and IE80 over the W3 (I have all 3). The W3 mids are recessed which might translate into it not being clear enough for your tastes.

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #26 of 37
I think the W4 has enough bass but it requires more power to drive them as compared to the W3. It has less midbass emphasis than the W3 but has great impact. The IE80 on the other hand has more impact but I listen to them with the bass dial turned all the way down. The W4 sounds more intimate and the IE80 sounds more expansive. Detail and clarity are about on par with one another. The mids are slightly more forward with the W4. Treble is presented differently but doesn't have any sibilance to my ears. However, the IE80 is more dependent on tips and seal which can alter the sound signature. I tried the new UE silicone tips with the IE80 which gave me a deeper insertion and a suction like seal, and it had way too much bass for my tastes. With the original Sennheiser single flange tips, the bass is way too anemic, but with Meelectronic single flange tips everything sounds right to my ears. Somewhat analogous to the goldilocks fairy tale. They don't isolate as well as the W4 either. IN my books either one is a good choice.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:
So i just tried some Shure SE215 today and comfort wise they felt great it just took some while to get them in my ear and get them in the right position. Would the 3.ai or the W3 be easier to put on and more comfortable to wear for long hours? Thanksss

How was the sound of the SE215 ? They are supposed to be bassy, so if you liked it , that could help you with your choice.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #28 of 37
The SE215 were good but the bass wasn't as strong as I liked it to be and the chord was a bit thick to be carrying around so often. It fit pretty comfortably but after an hour or so it became somewhat uncomfortable. Would the Westone housing be more comfortable than the Shure? Or the same since both of the housings seem to be similarly shaped. Also the IE80 housings seem to be a bit larger than either the Westone or the Shure so thats a worry also. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:
Hey guys so I am going to be making a pretty good investment pretty soon on one of these IEMs and have been viewing all the different reviews and forums on these IEMs but I am still torn on which would be best for me. So I'm choosing between

Heir Audio 3.ai
Westone 3
Westone 4
Sennheiser IE80

Each of them has their pros and cons but would like one that would last be for a while since this is my first time purchasing a $300+ IEM. I would be listening to Hip-Hop/R&B, Trance, Techno, Rock, Metal, Alternative, and some acoustic. They would need to have great isolation and comfort since I will be using these on the go and around people the majority of the time. So something with a deep extended bass with clear mids and highs are important to me. I am coming from a Monster MD Tributes and those were great but sometimes the bass sounded bloated and the mids and highs weren't as clear as I would like them. I would greatly appreciate some help on which would be best for me. Thanks!

if you can take the 4.ai instead of the 3.ai.Its more improved then 3.ai. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:
if you can take the 4.ai instead of the 3.ai.Its more improved then 3.ai. 

For hip-hop, trance, techno, some rock, and some metal, I would recommend the 3.Ai over the 4.Ai.  The 3.Ai will do better for probably well over half of the OP's musical tastes.  

_________

My honest suggestion would be to go either towards the Westone W4 (although it may not have the sub-bass you're looking for).  I don't know what the max you're willing to spend is, but the PFE232 may also be of interest if you can afford it :p).  Even the Denon AH-C400 may be good for what you are looking for.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back