Heed CanAmp
Oct 29, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #2,555 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Dan, based on the latest pictures I have seen posted it seems that Heed improved/updated the CanAmp. Is there any web place I can go and read on the improvements? Thanks.

I'll look into this, Miguel. I'm under the impression that the individual components used are simply moved around on a new board layout to accommodate the IEC receptacle invasion of the interior of the cabinet.

Inso doing, there appears to have occurred a rolling design change in the heat sinks that the output devices are attached to, as seen in an earlier post. These heat sinks are quite good and though visually appear smaller than the U shaped sheet metal used in previous models, these actually are more efficient at moving heat off the outputs what with the "fingers" at the ends of each, giving more surface area and its different metal makeup.

Once i do get my supply of IEC fitted CanAmps in, I'll crack mine open and will try to take some nice reference photos.

This should happen pretty soon.

Dan

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #2,557 of 2,784
I plan to buy this amp but don't have a DAC for my laptop. Can I plug this straight into my headphone input on my laptop until I get my DAC or is that not a good idea?

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #2,558 of 2,784
That's more or less what I did when I got mine (well, it was from a very cheap DAC, only a bit better than the headphone out), of course you won't realise lots of the potential that the amp can give, but it will be an improvement, more or less depending on what cans you're driving with it, I was happy with the improvement, but I have some very hard to drive cans. It'll be worth saving up for a DAC though.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #2,559 of 2,784
Dan, when should we expect for you to receive the IEC fitted CanAmps?

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #2,561 of 2,784
OK fellas, it's looking like another 8 - 10 days before the new batch ships from Hungary. They will need to clear customs after that.

Bob is looking into ways to get them here sooner but all that does is cost him more money. If we can all be a little patient, give him a little breathing room and all will be right with the Heed supply in short order.

Again, I'll stay on top of any news and will report back.

Best,

Dan

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #2,562 of 2,784
I'm not in any hurry. I'm anxious and excited, but I don't see a reason to be rude to our Hungarian friends.

Thanks for the update, Dan.

Dec 10, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #2,563 of 2,784
Hey folks,

I'm looking at the Heed Canamp to complement my K701's. I'm currently using the onboard headphone amplifier on my Asus Xonar Essence STX card but I'm not exactly thrilled with the sound which I often find thin, sibilant and harsh.

I know the specs are definitely not everything when it comes to audio equipment, but looking at the Canamp's specs worries me. It has 85db SNR compared to the Xonar's 110db, +-0.5db frequency response against the Xonar's +-0.1db and 0.05% THD against the Xonar's <0.01%. I'm not exactly pro about these things though so feel free to educate me.

I'm under the impression the Heed Canamp is THE headphone amp to pair with the K701's, I'm just worried I buy an expensive amp and there's no difference to my STX's amp, or it ends up being even worse. I guess I'm looking for some assurance.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Dec 10, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #2,564 of 2,784
I auditioned a Canamp and a Stello HP100 with the K601 - neither had many hours on it, but I far preferred the refinement of the Stello. The Heed has plenty of power, no question, but I wasn't impressed with any other aspect of it. Burn in may make a difference, but it just seemed too expensive to take a chance, while the Stello is way overpriced here compared to their RRP elsewhere, unfortunately.

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #2,565 of 2,784
The Canamp was an improvement over the STX. I found the STX to have sloppy bass and the highs to be in your face. The Canamp's sound is a bit more laid back compared to the STX.

If you do get an amp, don't expect a night and day difference. Maybe you just don't like the K701. Yes, that can requires adequate amping but I'd look to audition first. Or you could be like me and just buy stuff.

The Canamp is a lot less than the Stello [if I'm not mistake].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back