Heed CanAmp
Nov 9, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #2,356 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see. So what cans would be good with the Heed for rock and metal? Or it isn't very well suited for this genre?

as mentioned before the k701 appears to be the best suited can for the heed. the hd650 and heed is not a bad combo either. they both do rock pretty well. i dont know about metal though...i prefer some good blues, jazz, or female vocals through them.
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #2,357 of 2,784
I recently bought one of these on eBay for a bargain.
It pops and crackles when I turn it on or off, there's noise when the volume is below 25%, and when it's cold it also crackles between songs.
I noticed that more ppl have this (or very similar) problem, and I thought that the CanAmp could benifit from a ground (3pin mains connector instead of the 2pin), or a different power supply?
Btw I'm on 240V..

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #2,359 of 2,784
my setup for producing/mixing music is mac -> duet -> k702

i just got my k702s (so i know i have some burning process to go) and i like the accurate way they sound but the producing gets little numb when lack of bass.

SO i was thinking would heed's canamp make that magic and provide me some more bass and enjoyment in producing process? is there any use of canamp after duet?

Dec 21, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #2,361 of 2,784
Hi There,

I recently got this amp second for a nice price, about 200euros, in an almost new condition.
The idea is to pair it with my K701. So far I am using a Meier Corda Aria, but the low part of the spectrum is clearly too weak on this setup.

I took the amp out of the box, and was somehow disappointed with the build quality. a simple black metal box, level knob is looking like the one I used on my student projects (long time back ...
biggrin.gif
), and after all this is about the impression that the amp gives me : well finished student/DYI work. The face is OK though, thanks to a black plexiglass front side and the small blue led (not too bright like the Meier, I ended up putting some tape on it !) and does not look too bad next to my HiFi setup.
Back side connection is fair, nothing exceptional here again. Note the presence of a loop back connection be to able to insert the amp between the amp and the CD player, a nice and useful feature.

I tried the amp, connected it to my CD player Atoll CD100, an interesting CD player with very nice DACs and a generous 2.5V output swing, making it sounds very detailed thanks to its powerful preamp. All source used are true CDs. (everybody sells his CDs at the moment, so I get a lot of good stuff for fairly low prices
wink.gif
)
When I connected my K701, my first impression was OMG, as the folks said on H-Fi, this two guys really sound good together.
k701smile.gif

I wanted to check the return of some bass on my headset, and started with a track with some bass, Enya Pax Deorum. The bass was here, deep, very tight, sure not overwhelming the rest of the spectrum, but here, nicely. Good point !

The second reaction was, as this track also has a lot of mids, that nothing was lost here as well. But I felt like I've listened a bit too much of Enya over the last 10-15 yrs so I switched to something else, and took the Yael Naim CD, that I value quite much. The recording/mastering of this album is really nice, and precise. The girl happens to have also a very nice voice, so I assessed this was a good CD to check the mids of my new setup.
preview here : Deezer : Yael Naim
Her voice was crisp, clear, and rich of details, on "new soul" track, I could hear and really enjoy her voice very nicely. Same for the "Paris" track.

I decided to switch to something more dynamic, and picked the full of energy album from "the grates". In some way RHCP's with a -loud- women.
preview here Deezer : The Grates
On the track "rock boys", I was impressed by the punch, but also the soundstage produced. My K701 where really alive and I did not expect them so dynamic and present on that kind of music. Check for instance the track "howl".
On the down side, One point I noticed also is a bit too strong hi's, high hats are very present.

So sound wise, my rating of the amp is very good, despite the hi's aspect, and pairing with the K701 is again fully valid.

On the downside, build quality is not on top, and I ended up finding out that the loop back connector has a contact problem, need to tilt it a bit to get the left channel sent to my amp. This is something I did not see for a long time, and gives an idea of the build quality in general. Even if this problem is minor is can be fixed very easily, this is clearly disappointing.
So I'd say this amp has a clear interest since it is real good value for the money and amps capable of driving the K701 within a reasonable budget are not so common.

Time for a beer now
beerchug.gif
biggrin.gif

And, hum, Meier Corda Aria for sale ...

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #2,363 of 2,784
Hi, i read this thread for about 20 pages, and i need some advice.

I first considered the C2C and the slee novo to drive my HD650 (i will use a zero dac with the franken mod). This little beauty got me interested, especially regarding the 'spatialization' of the sound described by the reviewer. So how would you compare it with the C2C and the slee NOVO (which is said to be really 'fun' to listen to), especially for electronica music? Did anyone try it with high sensitivity loudspeakers? How does it sound? Did some of you have heat problems with it?

thanks
ps: what about mods for this amp?

Dec 21, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #2,364 of 2,784
There are mods available for the Heed CanAmp which of course will void your warrany. Send me a PM for the link (another forum).

Personally I prefer the Novo which you can get directly from Graham for about 205 pounds plus S&H.

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #2,365 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are mods available for the Heed CanAmp which of course will void your warrany. Send me a PM for the link (another forum).

Personally I prefer the Novo which you can get directly from Graham for about 205 pounds plus S&H.

Do you prefere the NOVO to the SOLO when using the Sennheiser HD650?

Thanks!

Dec 24, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #2,367 of 2,784
hi,

Just did another listening session, comparing the Heed CanAmp with my Meier Audio Corda, same conditions as the post above.
listened to the nice cuban piano player, Ruben Gonzales :YouTube - Ruben Gonzales

I found the soundstage to be significantly better on the CanAmp, also a slight plus on the mids. High with a slightly better definition on the Meier's side.
And the bass for sure more present on the CanAmp, give the whole thing more punch.

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #2,368 of 2,784
i am amazed that this thread has come so far. indeed a wonderful amplifier. i sold mine when my life started to move from country to country but would not have otherwise. it is also very good with dt880 and even hd600 but dt880 were an obvious favourite in my collection.

Dec 24, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #2,369 of 2,784
I sold my Heed last year, but it really is one of the few genuine bargains out there. The K701s didn't sound as clear and liquidly musical as they could with some tube amps or the LISA III, but for the money, you could hardly ask for more...

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #2,370 of 2,784
I am looking to pick up one of these up (just got my new K701s!). I have not been able to get through to Profundo (they are not returning phone calls or emails). Who retails these? Is there an East Coast retailer that anyone knows of? (wash DC area).
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back