Heed CanAmp
Sep 29, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #2,326 of 2,784
As I just received the Heed I bought from Minivan, and someone in another thread on HeadFi asked for a short comparison with the Lehmann black cube linear, which is the amp I do usually use, I thought I might just as well post my findings here as well:

So, after a first listening session with the Heed against the Lehmann bcl (source was my Primare CDP D20, headphones were AKG K701 and Grado PS1, music was instrumental and vocal jazz) it's quite obvious that the Lehmann is the superior amp (and it better should be, considering the difference in price...): It's less euphonious - or colored, if you will - more matter to fact and shows more details, has better control and really tidies things up compared to the Heed that tends to 'muddle' things together when the music gets a little more complex. Furthermore when you switch to the Lehmann, it's as if a thin, foggy curtain is removed from the music: everything seems clearer and closer to the real thing (especially acoustic piano!). So, sonically it's really another league, as it is built-wise, btw, and the switchable gain feature of the Lehmann (0/10/20 dB, switchable unerneath the unit) makes it extremely versatile imo. The second headphone out isn't bad either... (bottom line: if you ever get the chance to listen to the Lehmann you may be quite delighted).

Interesting also that the Heed runs far more hot than the Lehmann (maybe that's why it sounds 'warmer' in general???
wink.gif
) and that while listening to the Heed I got a noise from switching on the Lehmann but not vice versa.

Btw - I didn't think the soundstage was considerable wider on the Heed (something it got praised for especially) than it was on the Lehmann.

Next step will be the comparison to the Meier Corda HeadFive and the Aria... and then, once it's here, with the Green Solo, which I then of course will also compare to the Lehmann!

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #2,330 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^^ I just checked and the Lehman has a price of 550 British Pounds or about $1,050. It should be better at 2.4 times the price of a Heed CanAmp.

I don't think it works like this with audio gear. And then again: the Heed is about 380 Euros vs. the Headfive for about 200 Euros. Shouldn't the Heed be better then as well?
Of course it is better (as far as I can tell after one day of direct comparison) - but not in the same way that the Lehmann betters the Heed...

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #2,331 of 2,784
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but someone just recommended this amp to me and I'm wondering how well you all think it synergizes with Grados. I have the HF-1's with flat pads and I like my current meta42-based portable amp but an upgrade is on order seeing as how it is the holiday season. I got through about 10 pages of this thread and then said "heck, I have work to do. I'll just post"

Thanks for any comments.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #2,332 of 2,784
Although not having heard the combo myself, people, who's ears I trust, report Grado & Heed are not are match made in heaven. I think you may be better going elsewhere. Good luck.

Nov 9, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #2,333 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although not having heard the combo myself, people, who's ears I trust, report Grado & Heed are not are match made in heaven. I think you may be better going elsewhere. Good luck.

I have heard the combo, and i'd rate the heed as 'ok' for Grados, but not the best option out there. The most major issue i have is that mine has a minor hiss with the low impedance Grados, not sure if it's my unit, my electrical supply of a common problem. General listening it's not really an issue, but noticeable during quiet passages.

Compared to the MAD HD2, the canamp lacks the last bit of bass control and definition, but still enjoyable enough. I havn't done a proper a/b for a while, but those are the major impressions i got going from one to the other.

Nov 9, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #2,334 of 2,784
the issues you describe may be unique to the Grado as they do not exist with AKG, Ultrasone, Denon or Sennheiser headphones I use with my Heed. The Heed/Grado was never considered a good marriage.

Nov 10, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #2,335 of 2,784
MD1032, although I love the Heed CanAmp for Grado I suggest you look at:

1. Used Musical Fidelity X-Can V2: $140 to $190 including S&H
2. Used Musical Fidelity X-Can V3: $325 including S&H
3. Used Mapletree Ear + Purist HD: $525 to $550 including S&H

My favorite is the Mapletree, however I listed the other two in case you were looking for somthing less expensive. Good luck.

Nov 28, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #2,336 of 2,784
Sorry to bring up the old thread (again),
I just receive my Heed Canamp, and I was wondering,
Do I need to de-solder the opamp (NE5532) for opamp rolling, or I just plug it out and change to other opamp?

Nov 28, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #2,337 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I need to de-solder the opamp (NE5532) for opamp rolling, or I just plug it out and change to other opamp?

to remove the NE5532 that's in there will require de-soldering

for ease of future rolling, install an 8 pin DIP socket that way you can easily plug and unplug opamps

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #2,338 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How's the D2000 when paired with the Canamp?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #2,339 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the D2000 when paired with the Canamp?
smily_headphones1.gif

One word - BASS
Heed cranked up fresh out of box, my D2K almost explode - massive bass, but very deep, different than normal bass that I found on standard amp. I don't have vast experience on desktop amps (apart from brief green solo impression and DV 336i along with Millet Hybrid Max), but that's what I found from the first impression.

50 hours later.
The bass still bloated, but I can feel something different, the bass much refined, high mid still crisp but not bright at all, but still carry the same solid-state sound signature. Detailed, Crisp, and sometimes cold.

100 hours - burn in finish.
So I plug back my D2K, listening the same songs that I used for the test (a Jazz song made by my drum & percussion teacher) - Somehow the bass is not bloated as before, I'm quite shock I thought the amp is exhausted or burned out - after non stop burning in along with my imod (200 hours now). So I proceed to test different songs, and finally I understand, the bass completely tamed - there is depth within the soundstage, the music instruments filling in around your head, high & mid is great but somehow this kind atmosphere not suited for a can like Denon D2000, which is a bit cold.
It's alright but not really give me 'WoW' factor as Graham Slee Green Solo (pre 2008 edition), which is I confirmed by myself, a perfect match with Denon D2000.

So in future I would like to try out AKG K701 with my Heed Canamp, which people said the perfect synergies on budget. But at time being, I will learn to love my new amp
wink.gif

PS: When I'm comparing Heed Canamp against Green Solo, somehow it has a similar feeling when I'm comparing Xin Supermacro III v6 against Corda Headsix. lol

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #2,340 of 2,784
So, after deciding to order the K701s and enter the world hi-end phones, I started looking for an amp to do them justice. Being from Finland, I found it surprisingly hard to find many quality cans, atleast for a reasonable price. Luckily I found this little store just round the corner that had them in stock.

My first impressions with my DT770 80s: the beyers sound even more massive than before. There is also a great improvement in detail, especially with acoustic instruments such as drums, acoustic guitars etc. It really gives the "first row" feeling I was looking for. Can't wait to introduce the K701s to this baby. For once the hype was more than justified!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back