Heed CanAmp
May 8, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #1,951 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's strange Asr. If you remember, mine was on all day long at the NY meet, saw a lot of use and just got warm. If I remember correctly, PinkFloyd posted early in the thread about how he discovered that caps were installed backwards in one that over heated like yours seems to be doing.

You might want to alert Dan about this. Maybe the newer ones run hotter than the older ones for some reason we don't know about yet?

USG

Alert Dan, this is a manufacturing issue. This amp is not designed to run as hot as you are describing, not even close

May 8, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #1,952 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@d-see,

I'm still populating my parts list for my CanAmp upgrade, and i notice there's a strange thing in your mod. You replaced all your film caps with 0.47uF 250V polyprops, but these few days i'd been checking my CanAmp (yup i manage to pop open the hood but i don't have the proper tools to flip the board over) and i notice the film caps are as follow: 1J63(3), .47J63(2), 10nJ100(2). That means the largest capacitance is from the 1J63 which is 1uF. If i were to substitute all film caps with same value polyprops, shouldn't i be getting the 1uF 100V instead of 0.47uF?

hi yrh0413

the 3 x 1J63 film caps are actually 0.1uF. All of mine have a big . in front of the 1. if it was a 1uF film cap, believe me it would be much larger than that.

dc

May 8, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #1,953 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FURTHER IMPRESSIONS - 36 HOURS
As long as the psychoacoustic effect towards upgraditis is in play, there will never be a perfect amp for anyone. At some point you just have to sit back and enjoy the music, and the sooner you do that, the better it is for your wallet.

How MANY times has THIS been said!? I'm sure I've said it on a couple of different occasions myself! A lot times I say stuff in jest, regarding headphones or amps, about one being BETTER than another... but truth be told, each device is just different (well some, more than others).. Please, can we stop being N00bz and asking that d*mn question is the toma better than the smiv type questions? Who gives a f#ck!? (pardon my language,but..).. Buy it, try it, and if you don't like it, sell the d*mn thing! Rinse REPEAT!
Sheesh! Very well written ASR... I wish more people (reviewers) would take your approach!

May 8, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #1,954 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi yrh0413

the 3 x 1J63 film caps are actually 0.1uF. All of mine have a big . in front of the 1. if it was a 1uF film cap, believe me it would be much larger than that.

dc

Ha! that explains everything! thanks a lot d-cee
wink.gif

May 8, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #1,955 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How MANY times has THIS been said!? I'm sure I've said it on a couple of different occasions myself! A lot times I say stuff in jest, regarding headphones or amps, about one being BETTER than another... but truth be told, each device is just different (well some, more than others).. Please, can we stop being N00bz and asking that d*mn question is the toma better than the smiv type questions? Who gives a f#ck!? (pardon my language,but..).. Buy it, try it, and if you don't like it, sell the d*mn thing! Rinse REPEAT!
Sheesh! Very well written ASR... I wish more people (reviewers) would take your approach!

Well said Morph, and better yet to put into use.

May 8, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #1,957 of 2,784
Quote:

Hey Morph

My mileage varies a little on this one. I think that in many cases you can tell if one amp is better than another. Among my portables, I have a Hornet and a Portaphile V2 maxxed. They each do things differently but qualify as equals. My M^3 is different, but it is also better than either of them, as well it should be. Between my Woo3 and my M^3, the differences narrow even further because they have similar sound signatures. So, although the WA3 is not very different from the M^2, it is better at doing a similar thing. Now, after listening to the GS-1 for a few weeks, and the newness has worn off, I can hear some significant differences between it and the WA3. I can say one is better than the other, but it must be qualified by which headphone I'm using and the sonic taste I have at the time I'm listening.
580smile.gif

YMMMV and all opinions expressed are subject to change.
3000smile.gif

USG

May 8, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #1,959 of 2,784
Quote:

Hey Morph

My mileage varies a little on this one. I think that in many cases you can tell if one amp is better than another. Among my portables, I have a Hornet and a Portaphile V2 maxxed. They each do things differently but qualify as equals. My M^3 is different, but it is also better than either of them, as well it should be. Between my Woo3 and my M^3, the differences narrow even further because they have similar sound signatures. So, although the WA3 is not very different from the M^2, it is better at doing a similar thing. Now, after listening to the GS-1 for a few weeks, and the newness has worn off, I can hear some significant differences between it and the WA3. I can say one is better than the other, but it must be qualified by which headphone I'm using and the sonic taste I have at the time I'm listening.
580smile.gif

3000smile.gif

USG

Hey USG!

I'm not trying to deny that there are sonic differences amongst amps and that we all hear and respond to them differently, but it's getting very irritating to see posts comparing amps as to which is "better"... this hobby is waaaay too subjective to quantify such differences as better.. One man's garbage is another man's treasure. I just think lately too many threads have been caught up in direct comparisons and then developing general conclusions, which cause more harm than good. I'm sure you are convinced of what you hear, but based upon another person's perspective, maturity, or amount of sleep they may perceive that configuration totally different, so now, who's right or wrong? Let's not get caught up in the black and white... this hobby is filled with grey (or is it gray... gah! I need sleep!
biggrin.gif
) Look at my home rig sig, you'd be surprised how that sounds!
biggrin.gif
Well, YMMV! Hehe!
eggosmile.gif

May 8, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #1,961 of 2,784
Quote:

Hey Morph

580smile.gif

3000smile.gif

USG

Curious though, how does the CanAmp compare with your M^3? Iianm a maxed out M^3 is around the price of the CanAmp right? In terms of sound signature only please
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!
wink.gif

May 9, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #1,965 of 2,784
Quote:

Hey USG!

I'm not trying to deny that there are sonic differences amongst amps and that we all hear and respond to them differently, but it's getting very irritating to see posts comparing amps as to which is "better"... this hobby is waaaay too subjective to quantify such differences as better.. One man's garbage is another man's treasure. I just think lately too many threads have been caught up in direct comparisons and then developing general conclusions, which cause more harm than good. I'm sure you are convinced of what you hear, but based upon another person's perspective, maturity, or amount of sleep they may perceive that configuration totally different, so now, who's right or wrong? Let's not get caught up in the black and white... this hobby is filled with grey (or is it gray... gah! I need sleep!
biggrin.gif
) Look at my home rig sig, you'd be surprised how that sounds!
biggrin.gif
Well, YMMV! Hehe!
eggosmile.gif

It's astounding how unconvinced I am, of what I hear these days, Morph.......
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back