Heed CanAmp
Apr 22, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #1,696 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guys i wonder if anyone else has the same problem as me; my CanAmp gives out buzzes whenever i shake it. Its not that i purposely shake this little gem, but sometimes when my leg accidentally kick on the table and it sends vibrations to the CanAmp, thus making it sound "zzzz...zzzz..." I wonder is this normal or perhaps there are something lose in the CanAmp?

hmm, something similar happens to mine. i just quickly switch it off and back on

i thought it had something to do with my mods and my irrepairable damage to the circuit board

if i listen to the amp, and tap with my finger firmly against the casing it starts doing something fuzzy, i just switch it off really quickly and back on and it's fixed hmm

Apr 22, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #1,697 of 2,784
what kind of damage to the board? Mine is still in stock form, and the buzz occurs when the CanAmp receives vibrations (e.g. my legs kick against the table, someone slams my room door, or even when i put my mug on my table). The buzz resides after a split second.

This is pretty annoying when i listen to classicals
frown.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #1,698 of 2,784
Quote:

... the buzz occurs when the CanAmp receives vibrations (e.g. my legs kick against the table, someone slams my room door, or even when i put my mug on my table). The buzz resides after a split second.
frown.gif

checked my Heed just now - nothing of a kind here, i knocked on the table, cable and Heed itself with fingers and even with fist - absolutely nothing.
blink.gif
sorry guys... hope nothing serious
plainface.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #1,699 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by leener /img/forum/go_quote.gif
checked my Heed just now - nothing of a kind here, i knocked on the table, cable and Heed itself with fingers and even with fist - absolutely nothing.
blink.gif
sorry guys... hope nothing serious
plainface.gif

confused.gif
did you try shaking the amp?

Apr 22, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #1,700 of 2,784
Man oh man...

I have been listening to my Heed & K701 combo for I don't know how many hours, but many. And I have to swallow almost every word I said at the 30 min mark. I just can't get the phones out from my head!

One thing I've changed is the IC from Canare to "The Musical Blue", and that was exactly the ticket. I've probably said this before, but I have to reiterate: K701's are very cable picky phones. You can break a good system with wrong interconnects and that was exactly the case here.

The other mistake I made was that I was listening to the recordings that LD2+ does exceptionally well. The problem with LD2+ is that while 10% of the music sounds heavenly, the rest is only so-so (the number was dug out from a Stetson hat). CanAmp isn't like this. This amp shines in that it can pull out every tune with respect.

What the CanAmp + new IC did to me was that I'm not listening to the system anymore rather than music, and to that I'm more than thankful...

Apr 22, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #1,701 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man oh man...

I have been listening to my Heed & K701 combo for I don't know how many hours, but many. And I have to swallow almost every word I said at the 30 min mark. I just can't get the phones out from my head!

One thing I've changed is the IC from Canare to "The Musical Blue", and that was exactly the ticket. I've probably said this before, but I have to reiterate: K701's are very cable picky phones. You can break a good system with wrong interconnects and that was exactly the case here.

The other mistake I made was that I was listening to the recordings that LD2+ does exceptionally well. The problem with LD2+ is that while 10% of the music sounds heavenly, the rest is only so-so (the number was dug out from a Stetson hat). CanAmp isn't like this. This amp shines in that it can pull out every tune with respect.

What the CanAmp + new IC did to me was that I'm not listening to the system anymore rather than music, and to that I'm more than thankful...

Interesting, which Canare cable you used? GS-6? L-4E6S?

Apr 22, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #1,706 of 2,784
Quote:

what kind of damage to the board? Mine is still in stock form, and the buzz occurs when the CanAmp receives vibrations (e.g. my legs kick against the table, someone slams my room door, or even when i put my mug on my table). The buzz resides after a split second.

This is pretty annoying when i listen to classicals
frown.gif

the main damage i've done is lifted pads off the circuit board that's mainly it. and also breaking the hearts of heed by butchering their amp.
Quote:

confused.gif
weird, i do hope burn-in will help.

i don't think burn in will help, i've had a sneaking suspicion that it's a grounding issue and i was right

tonight i opened her up again to attach a 3 prong australian cable to it and noticed that at the back of the board near the power supply on my canamp there are traces that look very deliberately cut - namely the left, right and ground signals from the RCAs.

these appear to have been replaced with the cable that runs along the bottom of the board, i'm not quite sure why heed did this, i would have thought that traces on the board would be better at carrying the signal than a cable, but meh didn't really want to re-connect the traces in case there was a circuit error or something

anyhow, my suspicion is that it's some sort of grounding issue and when you tap on the enclosure or when it vibrates it's storing energy that isn't going into ground and gets back into the signal somehow.

the reason i was looking for ground on the board to begin with is because the canamp is only a 2 prong power chord and since i am installing 3 prong that's when i noticed that the trace to ground was cut. perhaps on the boards of those that don't make noise the ground is still attached

anyway, before i installed my new power chord i decided to do a test for yrh0413 to see if my theory is correct. i reconnected ground ONLY. i then wired up the amp and tapped on it gently to begin with, and then more and more violently and voila, no more noise.

so i installed my power chord and it also removed some strange ultra low level hum that i believe is also ground related that i was getting when the canamp was hooked up to my DAC-AH (but no other source!) and maxed out the volume on the canamp. that and the little euro > australia adaptor kept coming loose and didn't look very secure.

if you have a soldering iron a little bit of wire, by little i mean like 5mm here's where you need to bridge:

if you look in the bottom right next to the nut, there are 2 square pads, they're quite close but are not linked, if you join them together it made my noise go away.

DSCF8150.JPG

as always proceed with caution and i cannot accept any liability but like i said, my amp exhibited the same symptoms and now it's free from that!

Apr 22, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #1,708 of 2,784
thanks d-cee, i was suspecting it should be the grounding issue. I consulted some of my friends (TzeYang and ijan) and they suggest me to reconnect my RCA jacks, since i'd complained that the jacks are loose.

Walla, no more buzz after i replug the RCA jacks. Lolz!

Apr 22, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #1,709 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by leener /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well done d-cee, it is great when someone can do nice thing with their hands... i can't, not enough patient or just damn stupid...
blink.gif

thanks for the kinds words, but i am actually quite dumb and i am probably my own cause of these problems
Quote:

thanks d-cee, i was suspecting it should be the grounding issue. I consulted some of my friends (TzeYang and ijan) and they suggest me to reconnect my RCA jacks, since i'd complained that the jacks are loose.

Walla, no more buzz after i replug the RCA jacks. Lolz!

lucky for you it was as simple as that! i am wondering why these traces are cut on my board

i wonder if anyone else can confirm for me whether or not their traces are cut?

mine's cut in 2 places, i cant be bothered undoing her all again, to take photos, one of my earlier photos captured it though

my main gripe is how i could possibly have missed it before?!?! (unless, and again this would be my own retardedness, i somehow cut it myself in clumsiness???)

would love for someone to confirm for me

here a picture of the cuts:

whatthe.jpg

circled in red, underneath the cable it's a straight, very deep cut in the circuit board. very deliberate, even in my own clumsiness could i make such a cut without actually wanting to

Users who are viewing this thread

Back