Heed CanAmp
Apr 19, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #1,651 of 2,784
Ahaha, my birthday falls on 13th April; this birthday present was late for one week. Anyway still enjoying my CanAmp... all my FLACs came back to life finally.

Some short review on a 40 minutes burn-in CanAmp:
+ instrument separation is excellent. Listening to classical orchestras has never been better.
+ bass on the K701 is good, but i hope it will be stronger after burning-in
- My unit came in with stains all over the volume knob. No biggie though
- RCA jacks are smaller? My Canare F-10s are loosely attached
- Does the CanAmp emphasize on the higher frequencies? KennyG is piercing my ears
frown.gif

So does it worth the wait? Yeah, it is so much better than my 0404's analogue out. But i kindda miss the warmth of my ex LD2+... Now i'm seriously thinking of upgrading my source: 1212m or DAC-AH?

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #1,652 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahaha, my birthday falls on 13th April; this birthday present was late for one week. Anyway still enjoying my CanAmp... all my FLACs came back to life finally.

Some short review on a 40 minutes burn-in CanAmp:
+ instrument separation is excellent. Listening to classical orchestras has never been better.
+ bass on the K701 is good, but i hope it will be stronger after burning-in
- My unit came in with stains all over the volume knob. No biggie though
- RCA jacks are smaller? My Canare F-10s are loosely attached
- Does the CanAmp emphasize on the higher frequencies? KennyG is piercing my ears
frown.gif

So does it worth the wait? Yeah, it is so much better than my 0404's analogue out. But i kindda miss the warmth of my ex LD2+... Now i'm seriously thinking of upgrading my source: 1212m or DAC-AH?

First of all STOP LISTENING TO KENNY G!!!
cool.gif
Second it probably has to burn in, which is why it's harsh right now and the bass is light, give it some hours.

What kinda stains??

Wanna hear some good soprano sax, put on Coltrane!

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #1,653 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kinda stains??

Not sure, its around the sides of the knob. Never mind that, they are not there anymore.
cool.gif

p/s: anyone tried swapping the volume knob? I never fancy chrome ones.

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #1,654 of 2,784
Hi, just got mine as well, had the same stains on the volume knob, I think it's residue left from polishing the metal knob, but like you said no problem, rubbed it off very easily. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet though since I'm at work...
frown.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #1,655 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

Aside from the KennyG issue
wink.gif
, I have observed in the past that yes, to my ears the CanAmp make something strange to the K701 high frequencies. The amp gives them a certain "bite" that I do not like very much. But wait until you have everything with enough hours to form your opinion.

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #1,656 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by leener /img/forum/go_quote.gif
by the way it is because of U, Mrarroyo and PinkFloyd i have chosen canamp and it happen to be all you said about it and much more, thnx a lot!
tongue.gif

and of course Dexdexter! thank you very much Dex!
cool.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #1,657 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by pludder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, just got mine as well, had the same stains on the volume knob, I think it's residue left from polishing the metal knob, but like you said no problem, rubbed it off very easily. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet though since I'm at work...
frown.gif

funny, we're from different countries yet we receive our CanAmp at the same day and almost the same time too.
icon10.gif

Anyway i would like to take this opportunity to share my experience in dealing with Heed Audio. Alpar is a friendly chap to chat with, and i'm sorry for "ranting" in this thread due to his shipment delays. There's a week's long holiday in Germany so that explains everything. My parcel did not get taxed by our customs, thank God :p

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #1,658 of 2,784
those that are finding the upper registers too harsh on their
AKG 701s: first you are hearing what was in the source recording that was not revealed due to lack of current in your previous amp and second, please give the Heed 200 hours to
settle in. It is well worth the wait.

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #1,659 of 2,784
Brief review after 12 hours:

One word describes it all: "Wow!" I won't say its a day and night difference, but the improvements are definitely noticeable. I listened to the CanAmp for a mere 1 hour then after that i was not at home, leaving my CanAmp burning-in for the next 11 hours. After 12 hours i picked up my K701 and listen to some familiar tracks again.

First major improvements is the details the CanAmp manage to bring out. It raises a lot of "hey this is not there before!" in my head. Imho the CanAmp seems to be picking up subtle details and make them obvious to my ears. Its like my CanAmp is telling me "nah, i'll let you hear this... then hear that... this one also... now that one..." :p

Another major improvement is the soundstage. Paired with K701 and i can hear borderless headstage. However i do notice a stranger phenomenon: in some tracks the CanAmp actually pushes certain instruments to the back of my ears. Originally (from the 0404 analogue out) what i heard was everything is at my left and right, certainly not behind my ears. In simple words, the CanAmp expands the front/back soundstage to quite an extend.

Oh ya, the piercing highs are gone for good. KennyG's saxophone never sounds better! I do notice the bass extends a little lower also. Although its only 12 hours of experience with the CanAmp, i would say this ends my hunt for the perfect amp for my K701. Definitely worth the wait!

Added: My first headamp was the Little Dot 2+. It sounds damn good with my previous Grado SR80 but not on the K701. Pairing the LD2+ with the K701: compressed soundstage and severe loss of details. My 0404 analogue out sounds much better. However the analogue output lacks dynamics and it cannot drive the K701 to my listening volume. The CanAmp beats both of them.

p/s: sorry for the crappy review.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #1,662 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good news!!

NOW FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY PLEEEEASE STOP LISTENING TO KENNY G! That man is the anti-christ!
very_evil_smiley.gif

For true Jazz lovers, he is …

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #1,663 of 2,784
I got my CanAmp today as well. Quick out-of-the-box impressions:

- The build quality is exceptionally good. No thrills, clean looks, everything tidy, no extra bling added, just how I like it!

- Mine had the same stains as some others have reported, so I had to go and polish my knob
biggrin.gif

The sound, also no burn-in, first impressions, compared to well burnt in LD2+
- K701 has bass (!)
- Soundstage: so expansive, but loses accuracy. The vocals come out of void in some recordings instead of stage
- A wee bit sibilant and harsh perhaps
- Turns volume up (there's plenty of that here) -> The sound becomes congested very fast, well before 12 o'clock position
- I can't yet hear the liquidity and sparkle of acoustic instruments

These are the impressions of just 30 minutes of listening. As it might sound, I'm not bashing the amp or anything, the impressions are very hasty and the amp has to burn in first. I remember the LD2+ was a mess too when I powered it first time so I'm eagerly waiting the burn in to take effect (and I'm planning to mod the hell out of the amp).

In fact I don't believe in first impressions, especially just after 30 minutes of listening, but there you go....

Apr 20, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #1,664 of 2,784
Hi! This is my first post on this forum. I have a RSA Tomahawk, an imod, jumbo cryo mini to mini, Grado SR225 and Beyerdynamic DT831. Will the Heed CanAmp be a lot more better than the Tomahawk? I am also thinking of buying Beyerdynamic DT990(newest edition).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back