Heed CanAmp
Apr 18, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #1,636 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maschuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going at oqvist again? That's not very nice, Mister.

But thats what peer groups usually do: ridicule the "strange outsider" with a different opinion.

And he even tries to like it, never dissed it. that tells you something...

I'll repeat:
Just may well be it is in fact, stiff compition from top flight soundcards or exceedingly well put together Pimentas matched with highly efficent headphones that do have nice synergy coupled.

That is not going at, rather reaching out for understanding.

Could be a combination of I/Cs and low bit recordings as well as the phones (synergy with the other combos) as well as the experience of the listener, leveling out there being very little difference between the amplification choosen.

Yes, I've learned how much source and its material(format) as well as the headphone driven and its synergy with each amp type will effect a more or less pleasing presentation as well as the listener and our mindset listening.

You know, you can go up the price point ladder and still hear these debates; Only BIG difference then would be rock solid sources and well matched carefully choosen headphones & I/Cs matching synergistically the amplifiers in question. Yet still they each will question what each other hears and have differing opinions.

I simply take exception that three amps pretty much sound the same without questioning the many other prerequisites for hearing their nuanced differences and advantages.

I've read elsewhere, where the Heed was prefered by some when compared to the E.C. S.S. Why? Better box? I keed, I keed ;-}

Apr 18, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #1,637 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On this note, I'll say I'm not impressed with the Heed driving my RS-2s as its synergy with the Mapletree is georgous, of course the HEEDs power (its strength) isn't at all needed or utilized. For instance, there is greater freq extention at both ends and midrange liquidity the MAD brings to the presentation driving the RS-2s. that the HEED simply doesn't do. So, yes I know and have heard its limitations also. But I have also stated this before for readers to digest.

I agree to this wholeheartedly. The Grados simply do not need any more power
smily_headphones1.gif
. Since my RS-1 burnt in, it's being tested on and off on the Heed. Verdict? The Heed doesn't hurt the Grado sound - the Heed amplified RS1 was still better than RS1 straight out of a DAP. The compressed soundstage isn't as noticeable, there's better separation, and the bass improves.

Hi-Finthen - the Mapletree/Grado combo must be magical. So many people have suggested this pairing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am somewhat amazed at the recent posts in the Heed thread. If you read the early posts, when the amp was first released, they were positive and fun. The recent posts, by
new owners and those contemplating the Heed, have an almost provocative tone to them. People are looking to dismiss the amp or flame it. I really don't get where their intentions are. No amp is perfect, a be all to all people. This assault on the Heed is very reminiscent as to the Ultrasone thread which was temporarily wrecked by this kind of posting.

I think comments comparing the Heed to other amps - either cheaper (ala Pimetas) or more expensive (GSXs, Dynalos) should be welcomed. The Heed certainly has earned its fair share of compliments, and I think it would be great for people to share its inherent faults as well. In saying that - it's still the best value amp I have ever had the chance of auditioning
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #1,638 of 2,784
I have always felt that true comparisons should be of similar
items. Car reviewers do not compare $100,000 cars to $50,000 cars, so I do not see what purpose is served comparing apples to oranges. For any analysis to be meaningful, the comparison must be an even playing field.

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #1,639 of 2,784
Quote:

I have always felt that true comparisons should be of similar
items. Car reviewers do not compare $100,000 cars to $50,000 cars, so I do not see what purpose is served comparing apples to oranges. For any analysis to be meaningful, the comparison must be an even playing field.

i agree with "...that true comparisons should be of similar" but on the other hand why not?
if for example canamp is behind some more expensive amp in some aspect but not miles behind - i think it is interesting point which by the way would be for its benefit...any way, i think it could be fun and in no case this kind of conparison would diminish heed's value (just opinion...)
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #1,640 of 2,784
you make a fair point; I am overly protective of the Heed, it
is the first piece of audio equipment I ever bought sight/sound unknown, just on the recommendation of my friend Mrarroyo last summer. It was a tiny little group of Heed people back then and I anguish if someone (who may never have spent more than 10 minutes with it) drags it through the mud just to be controversial.

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #1,641 of 2,784
Quote:

you make a fair point; I am overly protective of the Heed, it
is the first piece of audio equipment I ever bought sight/sound unknown, just on the recommendation of my friend Mrarroyo last summer. It was a tiny little group of Heed people back then and I anguish if someone (who may never have spent more than 10 minutes with it) drags it through the mud just to be controversial.

yes, it is easy to understand your reaction... all those meaningless, absurd, senseless, inexplicable assualts...
very_evil_smiley.gif
well, it does not matter much on the long run but sometimes somehow it sort of kill the fun...
by the way it is because of U, Mrarroyo and PinkFloyd i have chosen canamp and it happen to be all you said about it and much more, thnx a lot!
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #1,642 of 2,784
I am used to uneducated Creative bashers. It should tell you something that the people that uses the Elite PRO at least don´t see it as a bad source at all whereas everyone who should on anything consumer level says it´s crap without ever hearing it
wink.gif

If I would say Headroom MICRO DAC or EMU0404 or such would I get more credibility then as source lol. Elite PRO is in that league for sure. If it wasn´t Creative producing it it would be more popular I am sure...

I myself totally expected that I would at least after 100 of hours be able to hear a difference that couldn´t be disputed at all! Prior to burn in there was a difference for sure but two days in a row I can´t hear it. Hope my ears haven´t got numb by the greater low extension I felt before... But then that was what I felt with the Proline 750 as well... I don´t feel them to be as bass heavy even now when fully burned in as when brand new...

I can hear a difference between the Pimeta and the Heed for sure but not the Heed and the Elite PRO. Now I don´t really know exactly how my hearing is but noone has mentioned I have bad hearing lol.

As for synergy yes the elite PRO/PROline 750 as you can see by the bridge is like a dream coming true. I have tested my Proline 750s with Audigy 2, Xfi xtrememusic, Xmeridian, denon stereo non had the perfect synergy with these headphones as the Elite PRO. Denon or X-fi came closest. The Heed doesn´t make that any worse but on a blind test I could never guess if I run straight out of the soundcard or the Heed currently...

Now I know I have good source, amps and headphone but my ears haven´t tested them for years so hard to know for sure
wink.gif
. However noone has complained about me having bad hearing. I do have slight tinnitus but only audible when at sleep and thinking about it. Last time I checked when 18 I had perfect hearing. Now 27 so not that old...

But seriously I have tried FLAC recordings and the CDs I have. Especially the Dire Straits brother in arms cd. Would that do? Proline 750s even without amp is quite picky about recordings
wink.gif

And no I am not going to give up on the Heed yet. Working hard to get to 200hs burn in and waiting for the next perfect ear day.

DW I haven´t seen any big change here. We have maybe two that mentioned they don´t like it enough to keep it anyway. We have me who haven´t well got what I expected yet.

The weird thing before was that there was only praises. Now we have mostly positive and a few mixed and even less telling it´s crap. I don´t think anyone have mentioned it being total junk yet. It´s quite normal I think that no amp is for everyone as no headphone is. Makes this thread more human I believe lol.

Anyway going to be off practising for a 6h endurance so you won´t see me for a good while
biggrin.gif
. When I am coming back should have at least 300h I hope
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #1,644 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by leener /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, it is easy to understand your reaction... all those meaningless, absurd, senseless, inexplicable assualts...
very_evil_smiley.gif
well, it does not matter much on the long run but sometimes somehow it sort of kill the fun...
by the way it is because of U, Mrarroyo and PinkFloyd i have chosen canamp and it happen to be all you said about it and much more, thnx a lot!
tongue.gif

Leener, I sent the same kind of thank you to Mrarroyo and PinkFloyd when I got mine. I wish you many years with your Heed.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #1,647 of 2,784
Yay! Just received my CanAmp today, 5 minutes ago! For the first time in my life i'm hearing bass notes from my K701! Still burning-in... 200 hours is quite a long time.

p/s: Alpar even sent me a local CD and a small note with "Happy Birthday, Yee!" written on it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #1,649 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay! Just received my CanAmp today, 5 minutes ago! For the first time in my life i'm hearing bass notes from my K701! Still burning-in... 200 hours is quite a long time.

p/s: Alpar even sent me a local CD and a small note with "Happy Birthday, Yee!" written on it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Way to go! Happy b'day!
cool.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #1,650 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...For the first time in my life i'm hearing bass notes...

Congrats! Exactly my sentiments when I first heard the combo
smily_headphones1.gif

So.... was it worth the wait?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back