Heed CanAmp
Nov 26, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #451 of 2,784
I received my Heed from Dan at Blackbird Audio on Thursday. Needless to say, I've been burning it in and taking some extended listening sessions ever since.

Please understand, before taking this with anything other than a grain of salt, that my tastes seem to change by the predominant gear that I listen to...

I'm currently living abroad and was not able to bring any of my "home equipment" along with me. So I tried to set up a relatively economical, relatively moveable system that would get me through until I get back to my main gear.

So, now my current setup is this:

H140 (flac)-->Microdac-->Heed-->Beyer DT990/ Ultrasone Proline 650.

The Heed has replaced a supermacro 3 that will only be used for traveling or other semi-portable applications from now on.

This Heed is really sensational. I don't know if it's the synergy of the components, the lack of anything else to compare it with, what my ears are liking at this particular hour on this particular day, etc. But, I'm very, very impressed with the sound of this amp. I've gone through a lot of amps in my time. Melos, Microzotl, Headroom Max, Headmaster just to name a few. I like this Heed....

It sounds good, it's got loads of power and it shows me aspects of the recordings that the supermacro did not. Please don't ask for comparisons to the amps listed above, I can't remember and can't A/B so it's really just useless.

A very important aspect of all of this is the PRICE. This amp is fantastic at this price point, at least in my experience. I'm gonna listen some more, enjoy this new amp and wait for things to really settle in. If the first few days are any indication, I'll be smiling the whole time
600smile.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #452 of 2,784
Should be indeed interesting to hear your impression of the CanAmp when she arrives...
I for one, will look towards your posts at the sites referanced for more information on the Heeds other offerings which you own ...

Mine arrives here tomorrow so my impressions should follow shortly.
I know others should also be plugged into systems soon which should awaken this thread once again.

Best regards~

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seeing as how there's been a bit of a lull in the thread here (three whole days, which, I've discovered, is a veritable lifetime on Head-Fi
tongue.gif
), I thought I'd take the opportunity to chime in that I am also awaiting a Heed Audio CanAmp.

I suspect that the circumstances leading to this decision, however, are quite different from any of yours. As you can see from my signature, I'm hardly a stranger to Heed Audio. In the three years since I moved to Belgium from the States, my hi-fi system has gradually evolved to include more of their components than not, and I’ve been posting regularly about my audio gear on the Pink Fish Media Forum, HiFi WigWam, Naim Audio Forum, etc.

So it's kinda funny to think about it, but I never even gave the CanAmp (which, contrary to the assembled wisdom here, is not a new product at all) a second thought. Why would I? I had been happily working on my hi-fi and home theatre systems and have gotten them to the point where they really sing! Headphones were strictly the downmarket domain of teenagers and computer geeks, and as such were not really for serious music listening. Or, so I thought...

But two things happened over this past summer to radically alter my thinking.

First, on our annual visit back home to the States, my sister gave me a 5G iPod. It totally rocked my world and opened my eyes to an entirely different set of possibilities for enjoying music with its sheer overwhelming platform convenience. No longer would I need to carry a clutch of CDs with me to play in the car when I could have everything I would care hear right at my fingertips. And, while we're at it, it would be awfully nice in some kind of desktop system, so I got myself a Sonic Impact t-amp for peanuts while we were still in the States.

The second thing to occur in this time was that I stumbled upon Pink Floyd's and then this thread while Googling all things Heed. So I've been following all the developments here as they have unfolded. At the same time, I began actually enjoying my iPod through headphones as I would wander about Brussels. And reading up on Head-Fi indicated that there was a lot more enjoyment to be had with the right gear.

So the slippery slope continued as follows: first, I was forced to modify my Sennheiser PX-200s after our kitten chewed through the cable. This led me to develop something I call The AchroMod ™. Then, I got a pair of PX-100s, 'cos everybody seemed to be raving about them. Finally I decided to take the plunge and buy a pair of Ultrasone PROline 2500 because I had never been happy with my HD590s for late-night listening and, besides, they were on sale at a local big-box retailer here for a ridiculously low price. You can catch-up with that adventure HERE.

So here I stand before you, humbled by my former headphone prejudices, while at the same time tremendously excited by the prospect of getting the CanAmp, which has been so warmly received here.

My thanks to you all! (but curses also, as I'm already contemplating a portable amp as well!
280smile.gif
)

Cheers, Dex

Nov 26, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #453 of 2,784
I recently used iRiver HP120 as source for headamp and I guess I was able to hear that sound layering guys have been raving here about. It's pretty strange, as I dont thin I was able to perceive that with my Citypulse 7.2x DAC.
It could be also because nonbitperfect optical out of Audigy2ZS ? Or maybe That was one of the rare moments when I am just laying on bed and just listening to music (rather than workng on computer)
Dunno.
But I observerd couple of facts:
-when I touch iRiver metal body, I can hear hum
-when I turn volume on CanAmp I can hear hum, hum dissapears when I touch volume pot
-I can hear cracking sounds when I close refirgerator and turn on the lights.
I wonder if that could be fixed with better cable on CanAmp, (maybe with ground in plug) or some power conditioning ?

Any suggestion on some cheap solution avaiable in Europe/Germany ?

thx

--G

Nov 26, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #454 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my sister gave me a 5G iPod

Now why don't I have a sis like this!!
plainface.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #455 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by GASTAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently used iRiver HP120 as source for headamp and I guess I was able to hear that sound layering guys have been raving here about. It's pretty strange, as I dont thin I was able to perceive that with my Citypulse 7.2x DAC.
It could be also because nonbitperfect optical out of Audigy2ZS ? Or maybe That was one of the rare moments when I am just laying on bed and just listening to music (rather than workng on computer)
Dunno.
But I observerd couple of facts:
-when I touch iRiver metal body, I can hear hum
-when I turn volume on CanAmp I can hear hum, hum dissapears when I touch volume pot
-I can hear cracking sounds when I close refirgerator and turn on the lights.
I wonder if that could be fixed with better cable on CanAmp, (maybe with ground in plug) or some power conditioning ?

Any suggestion on some cheap solution avaiable in Europe/Germany ?

thx

--G

It sounds like a ground loop in your system. Start by disconnecting everything and reassembling. As you add a component check for the hum returning, when it does you know the culprit. Then I would install a cheater plug to eliminate it.

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #456 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like a ground loop in your system. Start by disconnecting everything and reassembling. As you add a component check for the hum returning, when it does you know the culprit. Then I would install a cheater plug to eliminate it.

Well, I only have iRiver (on battery), mini - RCA, Heed CanAmp, HD650 connected. There is not too much to remove
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #457 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by GASTAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I only have iRiver (on battery), mini - RCA, Heed CanAmp, HD650 connected. There is not too much to remove
smily_headphones1.gif

Would you be able to move the system to a bedroom for a test. Or run an extention cord to a similar seperate power circuit from the one the kitchen living room is on? Here in the U.S. it is building code that bedrooms must be on their own seperate power circuit from our kitchens. However, this is time stamped as to the age of the buildings building codes and certainly I suppose, country specific also. Hovever, I do believe mrarroyos guess is correct that you are dealing with a ground loop issue.

In fact, one other Heed owner reported the same problem which was resolved as being a ground loop issue. Perhaps the Heeds topography makes it more so sensitive to these conflicts, as are tube amps and less so with a less unique contemporary S.S. design seemingly.

Best regards and good luck~

Nov 26, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #458 of 2,784
Exactly how much are these after it all, everything included?

Anybody tried 'em with low impedance headphones like a pair of Grado's, Sony's, or AT's?

I could always ask for one for Christmas I spose. If it didn't match well, I can't imagine I'd have a problem selling it...
tongue.gif

We'll see.

Nov 26, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #459 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Makial over at singlepower could put a remote into a MPX3 Slam, but the 5.1 sony just has something about it that's nearly mystically sweet to its presentation, that it to would go onto the F/S forums I fear...
cool.gif

Yeah. Maybe I should sell all my headphone amps & just get his Sony 5.1 reciever.. No more upgraditis problems for me..

Nov 26, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #460 of 2,784
khbaur330162;2517524 said:
Exactly how much are these after it all, everything included?

Anybody tried 'em with low impedance headphones like a pair of Grado's, Sony's, or AT's?

I could always ask for one for Christmas I spose. If it didn't match well, I can't imagine I'd have a problem selling it...
tongue.gif

I'll save you from reading this thread :

1. $350 incl. shipping

2. Pink says they did well with Grados; At the SoFol mini meet shootout it drove the RS1 (I believe) well...

3. Your rents would be impressed your being a smart shopper ;-}

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #462 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtevol1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you see this?

I read this thread.....

Then I ordered it from Dan @ Blackbird Audio...

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #463 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fortune /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This Heed is really sensational. I don't know if it's the synergy of the components, the lack of anything else to compare it with, what my ears are liking at this particular hour on this particular day, etc. But, I'm very, very impressed with the sound of this amp.

Oh great! My setup is almost the same (Zhaolu D2 instead of Microdac). Currently talking to Alpar directly who's quoted me a price for 220V euro version, to be used with 240V Australian system (btw any Aussies reading this ,it can go up to 250V on primary side, shouldn't be any problem here).
Originally I wanted to spend money on Darth Beyer, but I think replacing Bada PH1 hybrid with CanAmp is better option.
Can't wait now...I hope I'll be similarly impressed like you guys.

Nov 26, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #464 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fortune /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Fortune, can you comment specifically on the sound of the Heed with your Ultrasones?

I have the PROline 2500 and recently added the HFI-650 (which has the same driver as your PROline 650) to my expanding arsenal.
280smile.gif

Cheers, Dex

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #465 of 2,784
Quote:

I'll save you from reading this thread :

1. $350 incl. shipping

2. Pink says they did well with Grados; At the SoFol mini meet shootout it drove the RS1 (I believe) well...

3. Your rents would be impressed your being a smart shopper ;-}

Thanks.

1. Wow... cheaper than I thought.

2. Any reason why there's been sooo much more discussion on headphones with higher resistances? It also seems that whenever anybody ever says it matches really well with a set of cans, they always turn out to be rated with a fairly high impedance.

3. Hardly...

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back