Heed CanAmp
Jan 31, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #841 of 2,784
OK, four hours into my new life AC (After CanAmp) and I'm pleased to report that it merely gets pleasantly warm (operating temperature-wise), but certainly nothing more extreme.
smily_headphones1.gif

My largest concern in ordering this without having heard it beforehand was that it had been voiced with the Sennheiser HD600/HD650 in mind and might consequently prove to be an impedance mismatch with my Ultrasones (PROline 2500 and PROline 750), which are rated at 40 Ohm.

I was thinking I might need one of those 120 Ohm adapters just to get any decent kind of volume-pot travel with such low-impedance cans.

Turns out I needn't have worried. This CanAmp provides spades of current for the power-sucking Ultrasones and I have the full range of the volume-pot at my disposal, with a listening comfort zone from anywhere between 9 o'clock and 2 o'clock (and beyond even, for low-level mastered recordings).

So far, I'm a very happy bunny!
750prolinebx3.png

Jan 31, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #842 of 2,784
Dear Dexdeter, I'm very glad to see you happy with your new Canamp, please post additionnal feedback after some time.

The first reports available in this long thread convinced me this amp would be worth the wait ! As I was looking for an amp to pair with my new HD650, I came to this thread at the right time, thanks to the people who pioneered into this new amp last summer ! This pair of gear should probably be a nice first choice - hope my noob ear will hear the difference (as I'm still listening my HD650 unamped).

My 220v voltage Canamp is expected to be delivered in mid february. Demand is strong, a least two weeks delay in the production schedule, but hey ! that's the reward of success !
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll try too to post first impressions as soon as possible.

Wizardry

Jan 31, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #843 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My largest concern in ordering this without having heard it beforehand was that it had been voiced with the Sennheiser HD600/HD650 in mind and might consequently prove to be an impedance mismatch with my Ultrasones (PROline 2500 and PROline 750), which are rated at 40 Ohm.

I was thinking I might need one of those 120 Ohm adapters just to get any decent kind of volume-pot travel with such low-impedance cans.

Turns out I needn't have worried.

I have tried the CanAmp with basically all my phones. It handled low and high impedance, low and high efficiency very well in all cases. Senn 650 and 280, AKG 271S and 701, Grado GS-1000, etc.

Odd thing is, this sounds REALLY good with the Senn 280's. I have been playing with this combo since my A-T W-5000's leak a little too much for the wife's taste in my bedroom system. And dang if it doesn't mate well, pumping out some pretty serious bass!

I still would love to keep the W-5000 with the Heed, it's one of the best sounding cans I have, but not sure it'll last with the wife complaining
frown.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #844 of 2,784
Just past the 12-hour mark and the sheer ease and flow of delivery from this amplifier is simply staggering. Working the volume knob with my little fingers brings both an assurance and command to the listening experience that I could hardly have expected. It is as if the PROlines suddenly have infinite reserves of power supporting their drivers, but I'll spare you any motor-car analogies.

This past hour has consisted of Neil Young Living With War-Raw Version, The Stooges S/T, and Karen Dalton In My Own Time. Overall, the segues between albums are surprisingly seamless, whether the recording hails from 2006 or 1969-70, an absolute and satisfying quality is maintained. The bass is really beginning to rear-up and reveal itself, plumbing depths from the Ultrasones that I had sensed were there all along, but only now accorded proper context and balance.

Feb 1, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #845 of 2,784
hour 12 is still a new born! The bass you hear now (if you could store that sonic memory somehow) and what you will hear in 188 hours will justify all the hype I, MrArroyo and others have heaped on it all these long months. I was giving the soundtrack from Les Miserables a spin (having just seen it on Broadway for the 4th time this weekend) and it is remarkable how much better the 650/Heed combo
is than the live performance!

Feb 1, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #847 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hour 12 is still a new born! The bass you hear now (if you could store that sonic memory somehow) and what you will hear in 188 hours will justify all the hype I, MrArroyo and others have heaped on it all these long months. I was giving the soundtrack from Les Miserables a spin (having just seen it on Broadway for the 4th time this weekend) and it is remarkable how much better the 650/Heed combo
is than the live performance!

You (all of you talking about your Heed amps) are making life hard, without a setup!
icon10.gif

dw6928: Have you found a "primary" can, between the 650s and 701s? Which one do you "rock out" to (if you listen to that genre of music)? Do you find either limiting in any way, depending on what type of music you are listening to, or is it just a matter of which cans you feel like listening to, on that particular day? Must be nice to have both on tap, but if I ever get a setup again, one set of headphones will probably be it...

SL

Feb 1, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #848 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes at about the 200 hour mark it gets really good. I feel the K701 with the Heed is as good as it gets and for very little money (relatively speaking).

Well, as I roll into hour 23 this morning, the thing that strikes me most is how much more confident the Ultrasones are now sounding at low listening-levels.

Of course, when demoing new equipment, we all try to find the magic, and more often than not this involves driving the gear to near-party levels. But sometimes it is even more telling to back-off the throttle and see what remains. With lesser amplification, certain aspects can easily collapse: soundstage, low-level extension, detail and transparency. Not so with the CanAmp at the helm; color me impressed!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #850 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLCanhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You (all of you talking about your Heed amps) are making life hard, without a setup!
icon10.gif

dw6928: Have you found a "primary" can, between the 650s and 701s? Which one do you "rock out" to (if you listen to that genre of music)? Do you find either limiting in any way, depending on what type of music you are listening to, or is it just a matter of which cans you feel like listening to, on that particular day? Must be nice to have both on tap, but if I ever get a setup again, one set of headphones will probably be it...

SL

Which day of the week is it? What genre of music am I listening to? You get the drift. I am so fond of both headphones I cannot pick one as superior to the other across all genres. As MrArroyo says, nothing is better than the Heed/701 combo. Until I listen to the 650s with music
that might be more orchestral and less rock. The Heed punches the "veil" out the window so that is never an issue. I know I cannot be of much help because I really am a fence sitter on this issue. I have said often that I am very fortunate to have both sets to dabble with.

Feb 1, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #851 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone in the US has to wait till March yet people living in other countries get them easily it seems.

Easily? I waited patiently for better than 2 months for mine, during which decent numbers were delivered to the States and the UK, from what I heard.

So, like many things worthwhile, you gets in line and waits yer turn!
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #852 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which day of the week is it? What genre of music am I listening to? You get the drift. I am so fond of both headphones I cannot pick one as superior to the other across all genres. As MrArroyo says, nothing is better than the Heed/701 combo. Until I listen to the 650s with music
that might be more orchestral and less rock. The Heed punches the "veil" out the window so that is never an issue. I know I cannot be of much help because I really am a fence sitter on this issue. I have said often that I am very fortunate to have both sets to dabble with.

That is a good enough answer, for me (it makes complete sense). I appreciate the feedback/update! I am surprised that the K701s excel toward the rock genre, in general (I think that it depends on the listener too, though...I found them a bit "dry", at times, without some of the body/texture needed for electric/distorted guitar and drum attack - sounds like the Heed takes care of that...)

decisions, decisions...

Feb 1, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #855 of 2,784
major change landmarks: 100 hours - soundstage and sparkle
200 hours - bottom registers, bass and 3 dimensional layering. Dex, check me out on this because I remember this happening very clearly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back