Heed CanAmp
Dec 3, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #556 of 2,784
Mr PinkFloyd

I have the utmost respect for your audio opinions as well as the work you have done with the V2 and the V3. I picked up a few PX100s for myself and friends of mine, on your recommendation (good call, btw) and now have ordered a CanAmp.

So what I would like to know is what you feel the cost would be for the "PinkFloyd CanAmp mod", done on a stock amp? It doesn't have to be a balls to the wall mod, but just the essentials you feel would be necessary to take the amp up one click.

Thanks

USG

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #557 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the designer is indeed given the oportunity to "evolve" the Heed CanAmp I would love the opportunity (I am sure PinkFloyd would as well) to get an unit in my grubby hands and give it a spin!
wink.gif

I have little doubt, Miguel, given yours and Mike's substantial contributions in raising awareness of the CanAmp, that you each will be Heed's first ports of call once Zsolt is ready to unleash his "reference" edition. (How's that for an optimistic leap above "SE"?)

Still waitin' on mine though and just ordered the Go-Vibe V5S for portable action! It will be interesting to see which arrives first...but I'm guessing I can't lose either way!
280smile.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #558 of 2,784
I can possibly do the cap mods if there is interest. Have to consider shipping to-from Australia, apart from that rest is easy.
I can source capacitors and get mod done by qualified mil spec Micro Miniature Repair for Airborne Equipment guy on PACE Solder/Desolder workstation.
I'm awaiting arrival of my CanAmp, I'll do PS cap mod on it, se how much volume is available for high capacitance capacitors (lots of models available in 85 Cdeg less in 105C spec)

Anyway, there's few logistic issues to be sorted out, but it can be done.

Cheers

Lad

Dec 3, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #559 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmanden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are a few pics of my babies

Wow. Your pic of the DT990 looks 10 times better than the ones on Beyer's own site!

Dec 3, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #560 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. Your pic of the DT990 looks 10 times better than the ones on Beyer's own site!

Thanks! Funny thing though, I was just testing out a light I bought. I didn't even think to dust off my Beyers or position them in a better way. But then I figured I would post them here anyway, mainly so people could see another CanAmp in action. But I'm glad you liked them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #561 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have little doubt, Miguel, given yours and Mike's substantial contributions in raising awareness of the CanAmp, that you each will be Heed's first ports of call once Zsolt is ready to unleash his "reference" edition. (How's that for an optimistic leap above "SE"?)

Still waitin' on mine though and just ordered the Go-Vibe V5S for portable action! It will be interesting to see which arrives first...but I'm guessing I can't lose either way!
280smile.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

You will enjoy the Go-Vibe 5, I have two and they are a bargain. Now with OP-Amp rolling capability you just can not go wrong. Good luck.

Dec 4, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #564 of 2,784
Ultrafast diodes. CanAmp comes with 1N4002 fitted (100V) UF4002 are only marginally more expensive and are ultrafast types with a 50ns reverse recovery time. I didn't have any UF4002 but did have some UF4007 (1000V) which are in circuit as I type this. Do the ultrafasts make an improvement? Yes, a definite improvement in bass being tighter, less rounded and better seperated from the rest of the frequencies (easier to pick out and follow) this word is getting tired but I can't think of another......... "clarity" there's, yet again, an improvement here with another layer of fine mesh having been removed, more detail and nuance creeping out of the mix for sure
600smile.gif

Not night and day improvements but definitely an improvement allowing more through, an area maybe worth considering should the "reference" ever hit the drawing board. Obviously there are even better types of diode which may give even better results over the UF4007 / UF4002.

Hook up wire to the headphone socket could be better, in fact it could be dispensed with altogether in favour of a high quality board mounted headphone socket, I've replaced the stock hook up wire with some thick OFC copper stuff (nothing fancy just good old fashioned OFC copper) and, even though it sounds exactly the same, it just "feels" better knowing the connection is a lot more mechanically sound (thick wire soldered to the board then flooded with epoxy resin topside to ensure integrity, hardwired to the headphone socket, through hole, and then double wrapped with heat sleeve) I was frightened to sneeze on the stock hook up wires incase they blew away
wink.gif
Nah, not that bad but an area that can be improved on for sure.

I've covered the PSU capacitors in my last post.... more capacitance there most certainly improves things quite dramatically, night and day if you like, I'll be trying the dubilier DPG series 10,000uF 35V tomorrow (they fit perfectly, no other reason) and will report back. Capacitance is one thing, voltage rating is another.... sometimes it's better going with a higher voltage rated cap (I agree with Paul Stamler on this one) from experience a 35V 10,000uF can sound better than a 16V 10,000. Obviously we can fit a 16V 22,000uF into this position (dimensions are the same as the 35V 10,000uF 45mmL x 25mmD) another one I'll try after the 10,000uF dubilier. By the way, there's only 11.4V across the PSU caps so 16V rated caps are well within spec.

10uF coupling caps, I mentioned them in my last post I think? If not, well worth replacing them with non polar varieties..... there's no DC (to speak of) across them so no reason to implement polar 'lytics here. I think I measured around 21mV across them. Vast improvements to be gained using non polars here, obviously even better improvements to be had fitting film caps but a polyprop in a 10uF package would be bigger than the amp itself
biggrin.gif
(well, almost!)

DC offset. Anything under 50mV is, IMO, good to go. Ideally +/- "0" would be optimum but hard to achieve without DC blocking output caps. I measured 16.7mV LC and 12.8mV RC from cold and after one hour very little change 15.1mV LC and 13.1mV RC. If this is representative of all the CanAmps then pretty good going.... if you can get it closer to zero, all the better
600smile.gif

Somebody mentioned fitting an IEC socket.... Good to go if mains polarity is correct but a bugger if it isn't. One of the main reasons I favour the two pin figure of eight socket, it's a simple case of turning the connector upside down to change polarity, with an IEC this simple "turn it around" procedure becomes a laborious task of swapping over the wires in your mains plug and, by the time you've done that you can't remember what it sounded like in the first place! For those of you who haven't got a scooby what I'm on about Have a read With the figure of eight lead you can slot her in, turn her upside down and reverse polarity in seconds.....your ears as the judge. With IEC you enter the realms of unnecessary hassle, inflated prices, weirdos selling polarity checkers.............. stick with the captive lead guys as long as "you" get polarity right at the factory
wink.gif

Oooooh, I think I've said enough for one night. Happy Easter (or whatever season it is) to you all
blink.gif

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #567 of 2,784
the 595 (at least in my experience) mated better with the Headroom Microamp
than the Heed. The Heed needs something very detail oriented like the 701
to really strut its stuff.

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #568 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by apple_tree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

want to know if this amp suit for my HD595? I searched this thread but I can't found someone using it with 595.. just want to know before I buy it.
eggosmile.gif

The 595 is a great balanced phone made to offer fine proformance driven directly from meager amplification even headphone outs.

The Heed offers a wonderfully fast, detailed ever so slightly roll off of the HFs with a slightly warm presentation with POWER to drive inefficient cans, such as the 701s close to their potential IMO

I don't think you need the Heed with the 595s, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work great for you, especially if you ever try out other phones in the future, then with its price and 3 year warranty it is a bargain!

Staying tuned~

Dec 4, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #570 of 2,784
A few pics of the caps and diodes I've used in the PSU section.

Total cost:

Dubilier 10,000uF 35V 105C snap ins x 2 = £5.20
ELNA Cerafine 100uF 35V x 2 = £1.00
Ultrafast UF4007 diodes x 4 = 24 pence

Total: £6.44 ($12.75 US)

I won't waffle on but will sum these simple and cheap little tweaks up in two words "Major Improvement".

If you can use a soldering iron then this is the place to start:

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

I'll be back with more cheap, uber effective tweaks for those of you who can wield a soldering iron shortly and, for those of you who don't know one end of a soldering iron from another, it's time to start learning the art, it's easy
wink.gif
No black magic involved or requirement to pay "boutique prices" for these tweaks just a case of soldering them in
600smile.gif

EDIT: The caps don't have to be Dubilier or ELNA Cerafine, just what I had to hand. Dubilier are, IMO, one of the best cap manufacturers out there and don't get the press they deserve, they've been in the business for almost 100 years and know a thing or two about making caps
wink.gif
In this particular application they deliver, big time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back