Heed CanAmp
Nov 14, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #361 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928
does this mean you are going to cancel the Heed and keep the EC/SS in its
place?

Is the post of mine above not clear in its purpose?

In summary:

1. recstar24 equates the EC/SS with the HR-2, GS-1, and Headroom maxxed desktop.

2. At the SoFlo minimeet shootout the opinions given were that the Heed CanAmp and the EC/SS were equals (read tied) other than some slight preferance given as to presentation.

3. To my mind, this means the Heed compares favorabley to the EC/SS , ergo also to the HR-2, GS-1 and Headroom maxxed desktop.

4. Precise comparison? NO! Simply deductive reasoning spelled out between referances given.

Wayne, I don't understand your question.
I stated in the above post this is how I came to decide to purchace the HEED CanAmp. Which is what I was sharring with seacard.

I am waiting for my Heed CanAmp to be shipped!

Nov 14, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #363 of 2,784
As i did reread my initial post it was desearving of edit for clarity. Twice in fact ;-}

Write and rewrite-

Glad to see you back posting and that the surgery went well.

You'll be up and dancing in no time ;-}

Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928
Bill: Sorry if I missed the crux of your post; I completely missed the quote and read it as your's. Must be the painkillers from the surgery today.

Nov 14, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #365 of 2,784
Just realize this amp has such an simple interior, that i have to make a question:

Soundwise, what does influence more:
-The circuit design;
-The quality of the material;

If its only the first case, an amp like this is easily cloned, however if this involves 20$ caps and stuff like that its another story!

Nov 14, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #366 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by satanicoo
Just realize this amp has such an simple interior, that i have to make a question:

Soundwise, what does influence more:
-The circuit design;
-The quality of the material;

If its only the first case, an amp like this is easily cloned, however if this involves 20$ caps and stuff like that its another story!

An excellent implementation of a class A se design! Simple. Just like a Nelson Pass design which you can clone his plans freely offered! But costlier than first thought.First stage voltage transformer appropriate for the job, is the big costly part and heart of any class A design; And you need the PCB! Balanced choice of other parts that have synergy when coupled. Alps pot etc... Still cost ya $200 to build I bet!

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #367 of 2,784
Well said Hi-Finthen,

When I first saw a picture of the inside of a CanAmp, I was thinking that it probably wouldn't cost too much to build one myself. Then I thought about it - building one would might cost in the neighborhood of $200, but throwing a bunch of parts together in the same topology will not necessarily yield the same results. The specific parts and layout of the CanAmp have a synergy that just work. Then to make it look as nice as the CanAmp may cost another $50-$100+.

I have had a CanAmp since last Thursday, my initial impressions are that it sounds very good and asthetically it is a fine looking piece of gear.

Simplicity is elegant.

Nov 14, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #368 of 2,784
Hi, first post
wink.gif

I've gone to order a CanAmp from a local store, they told me there are three different versions. Moving coil, moving magnet and one with both (also twice the price), could someone please advise on which to get?

Nov 14, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #370 of 2,784
Ok, well looking around I can't find any mention of MM/MC versions of the CanAmp. On Heed's website though, there is another product which comes in MM, MC, MM/MC variants, perhaps my store is confusing the two?

Nov 14, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #373 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sytner
Hi, first post
wink.gif

I've gone to order a CanAmp from a local store, they told me there are three different versions. Moving coil, moving magnet and one with both (also twice the price), could someone please advise on which to get?

LOL. Heed also make phono pre-amps and very obviously there is some confusion along the way between the phono pre-amps and the headphone amp. If your local store can't, in the course of simple conversation, straighten this out, maybe you should consider going to another store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back