HEDD Audio HEDDphone TWO - Now Available for Pre-Order with Special Pre-Order Bonus
Sep 17, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #18 of 63
It's finally here! This one has been hard to keep under wraps (outside of some CanJam London spoilers :beyersmile:). The HEDD Audio HEDDphone TWO is now available for pre-order through Headphones.com.

Pre-Order Now

Headphones.com will only ship to US / Canada, correct?

Sep 18, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #20 of 63
Headphones.com will only ship to US / Canada, correct?
Yes due to our vendor agreements most items we carry can only be shipped within the US and Canada. That may change down the line but for now they are our only shipping locations.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Oct 5, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #21 of 63
This gives me an idea for the next greatest audiophile product: Headphone shoulder cushions. It's basically an airplane neck pillow to rest the cups on but has adjustable heights and audiophile rocks sewn into the lining.
We once had a customer suggesting to build the OG HEDDphone into a helmet :wink:

Oct 5, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #23 of 63
Oct 29, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #25 of 63
I received my Heddphone Two this week and have already listened for several hours. I’m surprised there aren’t more impressions here, so I’ll share my impressions of this unique headphone (abbreviated HP2 below because I’m too lazy to type of the full name).

As far as first impressions go, the HP2 made a great one. The first track I chose is one of the three I had time for during my HE-1 audition at CanJam, Here With You from Diana Krall’s Live in Paris (yes, an audiophile cliché ) My first thought was that the HP2 reminds me a lot of the HE-1 because it did not grab my attention in any way, but just sounded natural. All instruments and Diana’s voice sounded very realistic, instruments were well-separated into their own spaces on the soundstage, and transient speed was excellent. I did find the sound lacking in impact, slam, or whatever you call the sound of lots of air hitting my ears.

Fast forward a few days and I’ve formed more complete impressions of the HP2. I used it in my system including a Gungnir Multibit, Lyr+, and a recently received Midgard.

I agree with other reviewers that have said the HP2 is able to convey details and variations in tone (microdynamics) extremely well. On Luli Lee’s “I feel your love”, I noticed an echo effect of the singer’s voice. Switching to my ZMF, I could hear this effect, but I had never noticed it because the ZMF doesn’t present fine details as well. Similarly, with the HP2 I noticed gradations in the bass notes of Daft Punk’s Get Lucky that I never noticed before. The HP2 also has a great sense of speed and never got tripped up no matter what music I threw at it. On drum solos or fast bluegrass music like Jim Vancleve’s album No Apologies, every note was clearly delineated.

Sound staging and instrument separation are also high points of the HP2. I can’t say the sound stage is massive in the sense of a Stax Omega-series or Sennheiser HD-800, but within the boundaries of its stage, sounds were localized with pinpoint accuracy. For example, on Anderson East’s Alive in Tennessee album, I could hear the relative location of each person in the crowd who was clapping or yelling, which is quite a neat trick. When listening to rock tracks that mash together guitar, bass, and drums such as Yellowcard’s Always Summer and Ocean Avenue, I found the HP2 did an admirable job of separating these instruments – not perfect, but perhaps the best we might get short of a much more expensive Susvara or X-9000.

Another word that comes to mind when listening to the HP2 is “natural”. The timbre of instruments sounds normal, and frequency response is balanced with what I perceive as a very slight emphasis on the midrange. This is one of the headphones that’s underwhelming in a good way. It doesn’t grab your attention with massive soundstage or heart-stopping bass, but it just sounds correct.

I believe the HP2 is suitable for all genres. I typically use jazz as my benchmark for evaluating the realism of headphones and found the HP2 to have among the most realistic timbre I have encountered. Listening to jazz is really a pleasure with the HP2 and I can’t think of a headphone which would do better. Rock tracks sound great as well – I listened to my favorites from Joy Formidable, Yellowcard, and Mammoth WVH and they sounded good, if lacking that extra bit of crunch or grunge a Grado or 109 pro gives electric guitars. Electronic music such as Daft Punk and the Naked and Famous sounded clean, but lacking in bass quantity (not quality). I appreciated that the HP2 was able to make some songs I love with poor recording quality sound as good as possible. It gave a more relaxed and natural tone to super dry early 90s recordings and brought out as much detail as possible, even if there wasn’t much detail there in the first place. I appreciate that the HP2 has never sounded harsh, strident, etched, or dry with any recording I've listened to. Some reviewers have mentioned that it's "warm" and in general I agree, but I wouldn't say it's overly warm to the point of being colored like some ZMFs can be.

So, is this the new Best Headphone Ever, even better than last month’s Best Headphone Ever? Does it Change the Game in a way that the game has never been changed before? I think that really depends on what you want in a headphone. Two things I want are lacking from the HP2: bass quantity and macrodynamics. The former has been covered in reviews and it’s not a big deal to me, but I do wish the HP2 had better sub-bass extension and a slightly higher bass level overall, maybe not to Harman levels, but just a bit higher. The latter is a little more difficult to describe, but the word which keeps coming to my mind is “soft”. The HP2, while having high technical performance, just lacks the impact and slam something like a Focal or Audeze planar has. This results in a curious feeling of being precise and soft at the same time. It also results in continually turning up the volume looking for that crack or snap which just isn’t there. If impact is what you crave, the HP2 is probably not your cup of tea.

I think the most similar headphone is the MM500, which I used to own and am very fond of. According to my understanding, they are both designed for use in studios and they have a similar neutral or “studio monitor” sound, which can sound boring to some. The MM500 has better bass and sense of impact, but it also has a very dry sound that can move into the harsh territory depending on the track. The HP2 never sounds harsh and probably has slightly better technical performance than the MM500, but lacks its impact. One crucial difference is that the MM-500 needs just a few milliwatts to get to deafening levels, while the HP2 demands a more powerful amplifier. I'm not as familiar with other competitors like the Arya Organic, but I've either owned or auditioned every headphone in this price range and I believe the MM500 and HP2 are the best under $2000.

Lastly, I want to note some impressions of the item itself which are not related to sonic performance. First, it crackles a lot –after reading some reviews I learned this is normal behavior. I believe that if HEDD included some information about this in the packaging, they would have fewer returns and complaints. I am still not sure if the driver could ever be damaged from excess crackling
 Second, I am a little worried about the durability of the carbon headband over time because this is a part which flexes every time you put the headphone on. Unlike metal, carbon does not gently deform but shatters when it’s flexed past its limits. I am curious what kind of flexion testing was done on this part. Third, I’m pleasantly surprised that you get every possible cable included in the packaging. This should be a point of shame for other OEMs who sell $5000 headphones but won’t include a $10 XLR cable with them. Fourth, the industrial design of the HP2 is awesome. Every part is purposeful and that makes it beautiful. If you’ve ever seen a really cool piece of construction equipment, that’s the same feeling I get when I look at the HP2.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #26 of 63
Short show impressions with Mojo 2:
vs HEDDv1: more balanced/natural sounding, less bloated while still retaining a full sound, treble timbre more natural, easily an improvement
vs Austrian Audio Composer: more bass when asked for, fuller/more body to mids, more engaging
Will post more impressions in a quieter environment in the future.

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #27 of 63
I received my Heddphone Two this week and have already listened for several hours. I’m surprised there aren’t more impressions here, so I’ll share my impressions of this unique headphone (abbreviated HP2 below because I’m too lazy to type of the full name).

As far as first impressions go, the HP2 made a great one. The first track I chose is one of the three I had time for during my HE-1 audition at CanJam, Here With You from Diana Krall’s Live in Paris (yes, an audiophile cliché ) My first thought was that the HP2 reminds me a lot of the HE-1 because it did not grab my attention in any way, but just sounded natural. All instruments and Diana’s voice sounded very realistic, instruments were well-separated into their own spaces on the soundstage, and transient speed was excellent. I did find the sound lacking in impact, slam, or whatever you call the sound of lots of air hitting my ears.

Fast forward a few days and I’ve formed more complete impressions of the HP2. I used it in my system including a Gungnir Multibit, Lyr+, and a recently received Midgard.

I agree with other reviewers that have said the HP2 is able to convey details and variations in tone (microdynamics) extremely well. On Luli Lee’s “I feel your love”, I noticed an echo effect of the singer’s voice. Switching to my ZMF, I could hear this effect, but I had never noticed it because the ZMF doesn’t present fine details as well. Similarly, with the HP2 I noticed gradations in the bass notes of Daft Punk’s Get Lucky that I never noticed before. The HP2 also has a great sense of speed and never got tripped up no matter what music I threw at it. On drum solos or fast bluegrass music like Jim Vancleve’s album No Apologies, every note was clearly delineated.

Sound staging and instrument separation are also high points of the HP2. I can’t say the sound stage is massive in the sense of a Stax Omega-series or Sennheiser HD-800, but within the boundaries of its stage, sounds were localized with pinpoint accuracy. For example, on Anderson East’s Alive in Tennessee album, I could hear the relative location of each person in the crowd who was clapping or yelling, which is quite a neat trick. When listening to rock tracks that mash together guitar, bass, and drums such as Yellowcard’s Always Summer and Ocean Avenue, I found the HP2 did an admirable job of separating these instruments – not perfect, but perhaps the best we might get short of a much more expensive Susvara or X-9000.

Another word that comes to mind when listening to the HP2 is “natural”. The timbre of instruments sounds normal, and frequency response is balanced with what I perceive as a very slight emphasis on the midrange. This is one of the headphones that’s underwhelming in a good way. It doesn’t grab your attention with massive soundstage or heart-stopping bass, but it just sounds correct.

I believe the HP2 is suitable for all genres. I typically use jazz as my benchmark for evaluating the realism of headphones and found the HP2 to have among the most realistic timbre I have encountered. Listening to jazz is really a pleasure with the HP2 and I can’t think of a headphone which would do better. Rock tracks sound great as well – I listened to my favorites from Joy Formidable, Yellowcard, and Mammoth WVH and they sounded good, if lacking that extra bit of crunch or grunge a Grado or 109 pro gives electric guitars. Electronic music such as Daft Punk and the Naked and Famous sounded clean, but lacking in bass quantity (not quality). I appreciated that the HP2 was able to make some songs I love with poor recording quality sound as good as possible. It gave a more relaxed and natural tone to super dry early 90s recordings and brought out as much detail as possible, even if there wasn’t much detail there in the first place. I appreciate that the HP2 has never sounded harsh, strident, etched, or dry with any recording I've listened to. Some reviewers have mentioned that it's "warm" and in general I agree, but I wouldn't say it's overly warm to the point of being colored like some ZMFs can be.

So, is this the new Best Headphone Ever, even better than last month’s Best Headphone Ever? Does it Change the Game in a way that the game has never been changed before? I think that really depends on what you want in a headphone. Two things I want are lacking from the HP2: bass quantity and macrodynamics. The former has been covered in reviews and it’s not a big deal to me, but I do wish the HP2 had better sub-bass extension and a slightly higher bass level overall, maybe not to Harman levels, but just a bit higher. The latter is a little more difficult to describe, but the word which keeps coming to my mind is “soft”. The HP2, while having high technical performance, just lacks the impact and slam something like a Focal or Audeze planar has. This results in a curious feeling of being precise and soft at the same time. It also results in continually turning up the volume looking for that crack or snap which just isn’t there. If impact is what you crave, the HP2 is probably not your cup of tea.

I think the most similar headphone is the MM500, which I used to own and am very fond of. According to my understanding, they are both designed for use in studios and they have a similar neutral or “studio monitor” sound, which can sound boring to some. The MM500 has better bass and sense of impact, but it also has a very dry sound that can move into the harsh territory depending on the track. The HP2 never sounds harsh and probably has slightly better technical performance than the MM500, but lacks its impact. One crucial difference is that the MM-500 needs just a few milliwatts to get to deafening levels, while the HP2 demands a more powerful amplifier. I'm not as familiar with other competitors like the Arya Organic, but I've either owned or auditioned every headphone in this price range and I believe the MM500 and HP2 are the best under $2000.

Lastly, I want to note some impressions of the item itself which are not related to sonic performance. First, it crackles a lot –after reading some reviews I learned this is normal behavior. I believe that if HEDD included some information about this in the packaging, they would have fewer returns and complaints. I am still not sure if the driver could ever be damaged from excess crackling
 Second, I am a little worried about the durability of the carbon headband over time because this is a part which flexes every time you put the headphone on. Unlike metal, carbon does not gently deform but shatters when it’s flexed past its limits. I am curious what kind of flexion testing was done on this part. Third, I’m pleasantly surprised that you get every possible cable included in the packaging. This should be a point of shame for other OEMs who sell $5000 headphones but won’t include a $10 XLR cable with them. Fourth, the industrial design of the HP2 is awesome. Every part is purposeful and that makes it beautiful. If you’ve ever seen a really cool piece of construction equipment, that’s the same feeling I get when I look at the HP2.
Wow, I'm not in the market for new hearphones, since I got me the Focal Clear from headphones.com recently, but this detailed type of review is what I like to read before commiting to a pricey purchase based on a total Internet stranger's experience, ha-ha. It just paints a proper picture that makes taking a deaf decision feel less risky. Thanks for sharing in such a thorough way! 😁

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #28 of 63
Short show impressions with Mojo 2:
vs HEDDv1: more balanced/natural sounding, less bloated while still retaining a full sound, treble timbre more natural, easily an improvement
vs Austrian Audio Composer: more bass when asked for, fuller/more body to mids, more engaging
Will post more impressions in a quieter environment in the future.
How did you do comparing The Composer and the HEDDPHONE 2?

Dec 17, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #29 of 63
How did you do comparing The Composer and the HEDDPHONE 2?
Both stands were next to each other and I was able to listen to the HEDD for an extended period of time. Speaking of, I also tried the Composer this week in a quieter environment when I had my Aurorus Borealis with me, and Bori sounded warm in comparison, which confirmed my first impression. I think that (at least parts of) the treble is a bit too boosted on the Composer compared to the bass (as with everything, with an ibasso DAP it got a lot smoother, but I'm not a huge fan of those)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #30 of 63
It's finally here! This one has been hard to keep under wraps (outside of some CanJam London spoilers :beyersmile:). The HEDD Audio HEDDphone TWO is now available for pre-order through Headphones.com.

Pre-Order the HEDDphone TWO

Screen Shot 2023-09-04 at 5.07.53 PM.png

A bonus that's exclusive to Headphones.com is the limited edition art poster in the image above. Designed by our in-house design team, this limited edition piece will go to our first 150 pre-order customers and will be signed by our in-house designer and Klaus Heinz, founder of HEDD Audio.

DSC01861.jpg

Highlights

• 25% Lighter than the original HEDDphone
  • Patent-pending HEDDband that allows for adjustment of height, clamp and curvature
  • Variable Velocity Transformation (VTT) technology
  • High-Definition HEDD Air Motion Transformer (AMT) drivers
  • High-Quality, Vegan friendly materials
  • Crafted in Germany
Technical Specifications
DesignOpen-back over ear headphone
DriverAMT with full-range VVTÂź technology
Frequency Response10 Hz - 40 kHz
Efficiency89 dB SPL at 1mW
Impedance41 Ω flat
Power requirementsmin. 200mW, recommended ≄ 1000 mW
Connectionsymmetric 3.5mm
CableKevlar-infused, graded.
PadsFaux leather ear pads and heat cushion.
Weight550g

Pre-Orders will ship in September and pre-orders through Headphones.com will ship immediately on launch day.

As always, if you have questions or concerns feel free to send us an e-mail at info@headphones.com or hop in our live chat and we'll be happy to take care of you.

I hope you all enjoyed the long weekend and welcome to HEDDtember!

Pre-Order Now

We don't have a full review yet but @Resolve 's first impressions are up!

faux leather?

how does Monolith compare to this
almost got one

how do you expect the market to be on this in a few years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back