HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Sep 14, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #4,171 of 4,489
Nah, slam isn't to do with treble. Punch can occur at any frequency, however, and actually the HEDDphone is kinda cool in that it exemplifies this. There's a tactile "pop" to transient attack, which is more common on speakers but less in headphones. Almost like you can feel it as much as hear it in your eardrums.

Slam is more like that dynamic swing you mentioned, although pertaining specifically to bass. I think it has a lot to do with bass volume, and sub bass extension as well. So yeah it would definitely be measurable, but it's also possible for a bassy measuring headphone to sound soft and spongey in the lower frequencies (Shure SRH1540, for example). Tight response is also important to slam.
Thanks for clarifying your terminology. I agree with what you're saying, and I've noticed the same things. The "pop" to the transients does sound more like what I've heard from good two-channel speakers and I think that's something that good macro-dynamics improves, at least in my experience. When I started using my Erco, I thought that all of the sounds, particularly the tiny background details, would "pop" more when they were played so they were easier to perceive. I agree it's phenomenon that's also felt in the ears and head rather than just heard.

With slam, I think that for whatever reason, the way we currently measure FR (like the Farina sweep) isn't good at measuring the sense of slam. If it's the size of the dynamic swing, then I suspect a Farina sweep will never be able to properly measure it because those sweeps use constant power, hence have no dynamics. And I agree that some headphones can measure bassy in the FR graph, but have a softness to their bass compared to other headphones that are tighter and punchier in their bass attack. I think that my Aeon 2 Noire suffers from a "rubbery" texture to its bass even though there's a lot of bass in the measurements. And that rubberiness is something that goes away if I use dynamic EQ to boost the dynamic swings in the bass or use a dynamics-heavy chain.

Sep 15, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #4,172 of 4,489
My written review of the HEDDPhone TWO just went up.
Probably the longest and most comprehensive one I've written so far at 3.5k words. There was a lot to talk about and I re-wrote this about 3 times.
I tell myself I won't write something this long again in the future but realistically if I review something like the Modhouse Tungsten I'll fall into this trap again.

tl;dr for those who don't have time but seriously, please read it because those 3.5k words are meant to answer all the questions that I myself would have had if I wasn't reviewing it. I only haven't heard the HEDDPhone 1 enough to comment for comparison. Also there's a bonus EQ in the end if you want to try.

Pros:
  • Excellent ergonomics and build. Really goes to show how much care and attention HEDD Audio puts into the feedback they've gotten. The ability to control both clamp force and height at once is genius. And they didn't skimp on the headband surface area or padding. I usually don't wear headphones for like 2-3 hours at a time but I could with these despite it still being a hefty headphone. Oh and a 5-year warranty is nothing to sneeze at.
  • The two standout features of the HEDDPhone TWO features are microdynamics and what I call "timbral resolution". Microdynamics is the subtle gradations between notes and within passages that capture the performer's emotional expression. Timbral resolution is all the little microdetails of a note that comes together to create the full character of an individual instrument you can hear. For example, when a cello is bowed, all the tiny little individual resonances in the strings that make up its timbre. It’s like suddenly realizing that there can be so many different shades of the same type of note and the HEDDPhone TWO is telling you exactly what shade it is. HEDDPhone TWO is the only headphone that I can remember where I've noticed these qualities so strongly.
  • Stringed instruments and synths perform exceptionally well thanks to the above points. Vocal layering is also top notch.
  • Despite the subbass roll-off, these AMT drivers do push air quite effectively. Notes can sometimes sound bigger and boomier than expected.
Cons:
  • The tuning is an odd combination of warm and bright. It's honestly not reallllly a con but just something to know. Its more like a shotgun scatter of mini-peaks rather than a hard peak here and there. And yes, there is sibilance in the vocals.
  • Macrodynamic impact and slam is lacking. This just isn't a Focal headphone. More like on the level of the MM-500 I'd say and better than HD800S or Arya.
  • Along those lines, there's some poofiness in the midbass for drums - kicks and toms. Of course, this is highly dependent on the recording of your track. But with my library consisting of a lot of alt-rock tracks with less-than-stellar productions, it does show up. For better recordings this isn't much of a problem. For this reason, it took me a couple of days listening across my wider library to really start to appreciate what these AMT drivers can do.
  • Staging is nothing to write home about. Just does not have the openness or size of the HD800S or Arya. It's more along the lines of the MM-500 but with less precise imaging.
I was extremely excited for the HEDDPhone TWO but ended up with some mixed thoughts. No headphone (or HEDDPHONE) is perfect. At the end of the day though I do think it's a very competitive offering. It manages to do one of the most important things in the headphone landscape: present a meaningfully different sound. While I won’t go so far as to guarantee you’ll love the HEDDPhone TWO, I’m positive it’s one you won’t easily forget.

Happy to answer any questions.
just read your excellent review. its an intriguing, er, heddphone and one that i'd really like to get my ears on. they don't appear to be available locally as yet. hopefully that will change in the not too distant future.

Sep 15, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #4,173 of 4,489
Thanks for clarifying your terminology. I agree with what you're saying, and I've noticed the same things. The "pop" to the transients does sound more like what I've heard from good two-channel speakers and I think that's something that good macro-dynamics improves, at least in my experience. When I started using my Erco, I thought that all of the sounds, particularly the tiny background details, would "pop" more when they were played so they were easier to perceive. I agree it's phenomenon that's also felt in the ears and head rather than just heard.

With slam, I think that for whatever reason, the way we currently measure FR (like the Farina sweep) isn't good at measuring the sense of slam. If it's the size of the dynamic swing, then I suspect a Farina sweep will never be able to properly measure it because those sweeps use constant power, hence have no dynamics. And I agree that some headphones can measure bassy in the FR graph, but have a softness to their bass compared to other headphones that are tighter and punchier in their bass attack. I think that my Aeon 2 Noire suffers from a "rubbery" texture to its bass even though there's a lot of bass in the measurements. And that rubberiness is something that goes away if I use dynamic EQ to boost the dynamic swings in the bass or use a dynamics-heavy chain.
Thank you all for this.
Now I understand the sound signature described in a better way.

For me, it'll be a heads up between Meze Elite and Headphone 2 in which will have the "better" punch.
The Elite, for now and to me, was outstanding in this regard from what I've heard by now. :)

Curious to have a listen to the H2 in the near future.

Sep 19, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #4,174 of 4,489
For those interested in tuning in, Resolve will be live streaming with some of the crew from HEDD Audio from our Vancouver office on Thursday, September 21st at 10am PST (1pm EST) where they'll chat about the background of HEDD, the making of the HEDDphone TWO and answer your questions. On our end, Headphones.com will also be giving away a HEDDphone TWO during the livestream (limited to Canada and US residents only)

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Sep 19, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #4,175 of 4,489
How do these compare to the new set from RAAL? Too many good options happening at the moment :joy:

Sep 21, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #4,178 of 4,489
Anybody know if the Heddphone V1 will be discontinued once the V2 comes out of preorder status?

Sep 21, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #4,179 of 4,489
Anybody know if the Heddphone V1 will be discontinued once the V2 comes out of preorder status?

According to the livestream Q&A they did with The Headphone Show earlier today, they said it will sell alongside V2 for a while, in lower quantities.

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #4,181 of 4,489
Is there anyway for people living outside US, Canada and EU to buy Heddphone 2?

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #4,183 of 4,489
Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #4,184 of 4,489
Anyone had a chance to compare Hedd2 with Hedd1? Is the SQ any different? Sensitivity?
Just had a chance to compare them at CanJam this weekend! HEDD V1 has superior soundstage, bass punch/slam, and has a better timbre. HEDD V2 is more neutral, sounds "cleaner", and won't give you a headache from wearing it. V1 seems maybe slightly harder to drive than V2

Oct 2, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #4,185 of 4,489
Just had a chance to compare them at CanJam this weekend! HEDD V1 has superior soundstage, bass punch/slam, and has a better timbre. HEDD V2 is more neutral, sounds "cleaner", and won't give you a headache from wearing it. V1 seems maybe slightly harder to drive than V2
Thanks a lot. I shall keep v1 then!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back