HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Nov 23, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #3,917 of 4,488
My Heddphone’s right jack is loose …and now I cannot hear any sound output through the right cup.
Switching cables didn’t help. Same result.

Anyone else had this issue ?

Nov 24, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #3,918 of 4,488
Now that the hype has died down and people have owned them for awhile, how are you all liking the HEDD? Are they as difficult to power as they say and are any of you using EQ?
If you can comes to terms with the comfort issues, they're still world-class comparable to any flagship.

Dec 14, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #3,919 of 4,488
One or another will have noticed the ringing after knocking on the housings. Not a good sign in view of possible consequences. I tried to press my fingers around the inner «rings» of the housings and noticed how the sound became more accurate by doing so. That's when the idea was born to coat this part with some faux leather foil. It's thin, but the effect is enough to cause no further damping with fingers pressing against it. And the sound...

...became so much better – at least that was my perception.

However, the actual source of the ringing was and is the steel grille on the rear. It was my next victim. Some velour foil had to do it. Again: thin, but effective enough to damp the resonance by at least 66%.

HEDDphone with faux leather foil.JPG . HEDDphone with velour-damped grille.JPG

And the sound...

...improved again, at least in my perception. Better impulse control, better transparency...

I would have liked to damp the steel grille from the inside, with some foam pressing against it and at the same time preventing the rear sound waves from bouncing against the circumferential ridges. If I only knew how easy it is to remove it! The now velour foil isn't a definive solution anyway, as it isn't long-term stable enough.

The sound from my pair, still with the help from my (adapted) Neutron EQ...

HEDDphone EQ Curve.JPG

...has developed enormously – no idea which of the components EQ fine-tuning, break-in and damping modification has contributed how much. It is now on par with my HE1000se. Still not as airy and natural, but in exchange stunningly musical – not least due to the unique transient speed and impulse precision that I already knew from AMT tweeters, which finally has also become reality with the HEDDphone's full-range drivers, and this throughout the whole frequency range. The greatest surprise is the quality of the bass. It can absolutely compete with the HE1000se's. The improvements even have reached the soundstage: no more closed-in, and imaging of spatial depth (which wasn't bad at all from the start) has further improved. Moreover, much to my surprise, even the wearing comfort has increased (apart from hot ears during hot weather).

HE1000se: airier, more realistic; HEDDphone: more musical, more magical
I've been interested to try your mod for a while. Before taking the plunge I noticed I had some spare silicone rubber self fusing tape. I cut mine in about 1/3rd lengthwise and stretched it around the earcup as shown. Trying just one side, I noticed a more robust sound especially in the lows, so went ahead and applied to both sides. I heard a definite improvement! Bass / dynamics are even more coherent and punchy. Treble is still at least if not even subtly more detailed, but possibly smoother. This was the same difference I had with a makeshift test wrapping thin elastic bands around it. Note: Use caution if experimenting with anything that can slip off, which can dislodge the earpads making them hard to re-seal.

20221214_202602.jpg

This is just a temporary setup. Is faux leather foil on the sides, and velour foil on the grille still most recommended? If so, would you or anyone please share a link to a proper type / width that also has an adhesive backing?

For the velour foil - I'm surprised it didn't reduce the soundstage though I'd like to try that as well. But if I'm not mistaken, the part that faces the driver would be a flat sticky adhesive surface, so does that defeat the dampening properties of velour?

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #3,920 of 4,488
Now that the hype has died down and people have owned them for awhile, how are you all liking the HEDD? Are they as difficult to power as they say and are any of you using EQ?
It is one of those unique headphones that I will never sell. They are extremely difficult to power and will respond to amp power and quality similarly to the other planar flagships.
I started with Oratory's Harman EQ preset but gradually found myself gravitating more towards the stock sound. I'm currently running:

Preamp: -7.5 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 40 Hz Gain 5.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 2: ON LS Fc 50 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 710 Hz Gain -5.0 dB Q 3.5

For some tracks the subbass boost is too much and loses some of the magical tightness the HEDDs are known for. Maybe i'm spoiled by the DCA Stealth since the HEDDs are already much much tighter in the bass than for example the HD800.

On extremely busy passages it loses to the Stealth a bit when it comes to separation, but otherwise I think the HEDD is absolutely performing at flagship levels. It has world class timbre and a pleasing low-end warmth, combined with razor sharp treble so things are never muddy and an airy wide soundstage.
Finally I adore the look and the tech, and if I keep my posture correct I can wear them for many hours without discomfort.

I directly A/B'ed mine with Susvara at a dealer and my conclusion was that it was "close enough" to keep the HEDDs and not replace them with the Sus.

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #3,921 of 4,488
It is one of those unique headphones that I will never sell. They are extremely difficult to power and will respond to amp power and quality similarly to the other planar flagships.
I started with Oratory's Harman EQ preset but gradually found myself gravitating more towards the stock sound. I'm currently running:

Preamp: -7.5 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 40 Hz Gain 5.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 2: ON LS Fc 50 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 710 Hz Gain -5.0 dB Q 3.5

For some tracks the subbass boost is too much and loses some of the magical tightness the HEDDs are known for. Maybe i'm spoiled by the DCA Stealth since the HEDDs are already much much tighter in the bass than for example the HD800.

On extremely busy passages it loses to the Stealth a bit when it comes to separation, but otherwise I think the HEDD is absolutely performing at flagship levels. It has world class timbre and a pleasing low-end warmth, combined with razor sharp treble so things are never muddy and an airy wide soundstage.
Finally I adore the look and the tech, and if I keep my posture correct I can wear them for many hours without discomfort.

I directly A/B'ed mine with Susvara at a dealer and my conclusion was that it was "close enough" to keep the HEDDs and not replace them with the Sus.
I definitely second what he’s saying!
I listened yesterday to the hedds after some time of not listening, and it amazes me EVERY time as if I just purchased them, no exaggeration!!!

P.s. u mention a comparison to the sus.
If I may ask, What was the “close enough” differences that u experienced?
And in general, how do they differ in sound?

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #3,922 of 4,488
I definitely second what he’s saying!
I listened yesterday to the hedds after some time of not listening, and it amazes me EVERY time as if I just purchased them, no exaggeration!!!

P.s. u mention a comparison to the sus.
If I may ask, What was the “close enough” differences that u experienced?
And in general, how do they differ in sound?
It has been a while since I listened to the Sus, but that last bit of extra separation (only really noticable during very busy passages) is something the Susvara also has, it has some of the best imaging and layering in the business. The HEDD soundstage is extremely wide, but not super deep. The Susvara had a slightly less wide but slightly deeper soundstage. I would say the soundstage part is a matter of preference and not a matter of superiority.

The Susvara has a bit more lower treble energy, especially around 6khz but otherwise the frequency responses are quite similar. On some songs this caused instruments around that frequency range to shine a little more.
I do have to mention that the Sus is one of the most comfortable headphones on the planet while the HEDDs are quite the opposite.

In the end, I only listened to the Susvara for an hour or so, I think someone who owns or has owned both headphones will be able to give you a better account of the differences.

1671132812253.png

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #3,923 of 4,488
It has been a while since I listened to the Sus, but that last bit of extra separation (only really noticable during very busy passages) is something the Susvara also has, it has some of the best imaging and layering in the business. The HEDD soundstage is extremely wide, but not super deep. The Susvara had a slightly less wide but slightly deeper soundstage. I would say the soundstage part is a matter of preference and not a matter of superiority.

The Susvara has a bit more lower treble energy, especially around 6khz but otherwise the frequency responses are quite similar. On some songs this caused instruments around that frequency range to shine a little more.
I do have to mention that the Sus is one of the most comfortable headphones on the planet while the HEDDs are quite the opposite.

In the end, I only listened to the Susvara for an hour or so, I think someone who owns or has owned both headphones will be able to give you a better account of the differences.

1671132812253.png
Very cool!
I heard about this sus. stage depth many times, I’m soo intrigued to hear it 😅

Besides for that, it amazes me how a sub 2k (now u can get it for 1500 which is a steal of a deal btw!!) headphones come neck to neck to a 6k dollar headphones!
Tells u allot how good they are

Dec 24, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #3,926 of 4,488
For me they're great, I'm thoroughly enjoying them still. As far as improvements to the sound, maybe they could improve the soundstage a little, not that it really needs it. Then they need to improve on comfort, reduce the weight, widen/alter the strap design etc. But I'm still happy to stick with mine

Dec 24, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #3,927 of 4,488
For me they're great, I'm thoroughly enjoying them still. As far as improvements to the sound, maybe they could improve the soundstage a little, not that it really needs it. Then they need to improve on comfort, reduce the weight, widen/alter the strap design etc. But I'm still happy to stick with mine
I think it will be difficult to reduce the weight, they need powerful magnets to work and magnets are weight

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #3,928 of 4,488
I gotta be honest; I initally thought that these were just pure hype. Besides I hated the looks and overall didn't think much of them.
Of course all of this changed when I actually heard them. Now they're my goto open backs. If balance and musicality is what you're after, these are it.
In the next iteration I'd like to see a new headband mechanism and maybe a more universal pad design. Other than that, I think this set is just nuts for the price.

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #3,929 of 4,488
Next iteration, working on reducing weight, longer cables (balanced and unbalanced in the box), a superior build quality overall + better head strap length adjustments + better comfort for long sessions…and perhaps a wee bit more depth in soundstage would be awesome.

Sound wise, I do not know if it can get any better though…perhaps a version that can be driven by low powered sources ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back