HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jul 19, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #2,551 of 4,478
Oh gosh!

The bass on the Hedds is spectacular!! Some want these to be more in line with the Harmon Curve and be a bit fuller on the low end...nada. Not needed here at all.

Listen to Aaron Copelands Fanfare for the Comman Man, Telarc DDD, Loius Lane and the Atlanta Philharmonic Orchestra. EXCELLENt explosive Kettle drums. Low frequency organ notes below 30 Hz, will rumble with fullness and body to die for and no distortion....shockingly so.

Joe Satrianis : Electric Anthology, Rubina and others on the CD have bass that will shock the heck out of you....With a good amp as well....

SMV, Thunder and Brian Brombergs "Wood" have real bass thats re-produced extremely well and as loud as your ears can stand.

Hate to see you pass up on the Hedds for this "non-issue" IMO.

Alex

Note Hedds can be had for $1400 +/-
Not saying the HE 6's are not good, they are. But the Hedds IMO compete and have attributes as good if not better.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #2,552 of 4,478
Oh gosh!

The bass on the Hedds is spectacular!! Some want these to be more in line with the Harmon Curve and be a bit fuller on the low end...nada. Not needed here at all.

Listen to Aaron Copelands Fanfare for the Comman Man, Telarc DDD, Loius Lane and the Atlanta Philharmonic Orchestra. EXCELLENt explosive Kettle drums. Low frequency organ notes below 30 Hz, will rumble with fullness and body to die for and no distortion....shockingly so.

Joe Satrianis : Electric Anthology, Rubina and others on the CD have bass that will shock the heck out of you....With a good amp as well....

SMV, Thunder and Brian Brombergs "Wood" have real bass thats re-produced extremely well and as loud as your ears can stand.

Hate to see you pass up on the Hedds for this "non-issue" IMO.

Alex

Note Hedds can be had for $1400 +/-
Not saying the HE 6's are not good, they are. But the Hedds IMO compete and have attributes as good if not better.
Agree. The texture of bass and sub-bass is really spectacular!

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #2,553 of 4,478
I guess I just discovered my dream balcony system...

Dream Balcony System.JPG

Jul 19, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #2,555 of 4,478
This in contrast to a good software equalizer, which can even enhance it (by eliminating masking effects due to dominating frequency bands)
agreed - frequency masking is perhaps the biggest culprit to robbing resolution. the slight phase skew you get with EQ is less destructive to resolving ability than the inherent uneven frequency response in a transducer. A treble spike or dip can really rob the surrounding frequencies of realistic timbre. Equal loudness at 1/1 octave intervals up to 2 khz (and 1/3 octave intervals above that) improves resolving ability quite noticeably on even TOTL offerings IMO. Use a 64 bit EQ and you shouldn't have any DSP induced crud in your bitstream.

Jul 19, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #2,556 of 4,478
HEDDphones bass is exemplary, fuller [more rounded], more natural-sounding and better textured than, for example, HE-1000se when I a/b-ed them.

Reiterating: for my ears, the true "Achilles' Heel" of the original HE-6 was their unnatural [metallic/mechanical-sounding] upper treble response.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #2,558 of 4,478
Jul 21, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #2,559 of 4,478
HEDDphones bass is exemplary, fuller [more rounded], more natural-sounding and better textured than, for example, HE-1000se when I a/b-ed them.

Reiterating: for my ears, the true "Achilles' Heel" of the original HE-6 was their unnatural [metallic/mechanical-sounding] upper treble response.

With comments like this it makes me want to try a HEDDPHONE.................since having two HE-6's in the past and the HE-6SE now, all fed from speaker taps of a Pioneer Spec system (250 wpc), and the bass was unreal and visceral. If a HEDDPHONE can do that...............even if it's heavier than an HE-6 it might be worth a try.

Unfortunately, most folks have not experienced a true nirvana moment with the HE-6 like I have - it was and still is the best headphone I've heard. The reason I moved away from it was the lack of support for the drivers in the future if one blew (and I had one blow a few years back, not because of running it from speaker taps, it just crapped out when plugged into a headphone jack).

How much do the HEDDPHONES weigh?

Jul 26, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #2,561 of 4,478
With comments like this it makes me want to try a HEDDPHONE.................since having two HE-6's in the past and the HE-6SE now, all fed from speaker taps of a Pioneer Spec system (250 wpc), and the bass was unreal and visceral. If a HEDDPHONE can do that...............even if it's heavier than an HE-6 it might be worth a try.

Unfortunately, most folks have not experienced a true nirvana moment with the HE-6 like I have - it was and still is the best headphone I've heard. The reason I moved away from it was the lack of support for the drivers in the future if one blew (and I had one blow a few years back, not because of running it from speaker taps, it just crapped out when plugged into a headphone jack).

How much do the HEDDPHONES weigh?
They are actually a lot less likely to fail than later models, say, HE560 or Sundara. Their QC back then is surprisingly decent.

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #2,563 of 4,478
Not sure, given the driver design, how much lighter a new design could go without raising the price [and obviating the "nice price" the originals come with]. Best thing to do would be to ask HEDD directly. They are very pleasant folks to communicate with.

Am [much] enjoying the HEDDphone, listening to Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances, Opus 45 (Charles Dutoit, The Philadelphia Orchestra; Decca/London).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back