HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
May 8, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #2,071 of 4,472
Is an AMT a sub-type of planar driver - or a whole different category of driver? I guess you could look at it like a planar driver that has been folded up?

Whole different driver type.

May 8, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #2,072 of 4,472
I personally put about 10-12 hours on them. Used mainly with a Yggy A1 and LAu/Stratus amongst other things.

That's a pretty killer setup. I am like that with my HD800S, then I listen to them and put them back away after a session and think, why did I want to sell them. Glad I've held on to them for several years.

May 8, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #2,074 of 4,472
1st band and 2nd band. it's much better.

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_Photo_2020-05-09-12-16-44.jpeg
    KakaoTalk_Photo_2020-05-09-12-16-44.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
May 9, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #2,075 of 4,472
I'm curious what's the decision process behind the scenes, why couldn't they just double the extension length so it's fixed once and for everyone. I hope they aren't optimizing manufacturing costs to such a degree by using a little less material - this isn't a cheap mass product.

May 9, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #2,076 of 4,472
Well, how is the ART different to ribbon tweeters or are they a sub-category of ribbon tweeter? For example, Adam Audio itself refers to the tweeters of their monitors as 'ART' (same thing as AMT) tweeters as well as 'ribbon tweeters' interchangably?

I kinda think of it like the difference between a standard dynamic driver and a horn driver; the horn speaker is a more efficient version of the dynamic driver since it accelerates all the air out of a narrow opening just like the AMT driver is a more efficient version of a planar driver since it is folded and accelerates all the air out of its folds. All the same the horn driver is a sub-type of the dynamic driver just as the AMT is a sub-type of the planar driver...?

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #2,077 of 4,472
Well, how is the ART different to ribbon tweeters or are they a sub-category of ribbon tweeter? For example, Adam Audio itself refers to the tweeters of their monitors as 'ART' (same thing as AMT) tweeters as well as 'ribbon tweeters' interchangably?

I kinda think of it like the difference between a standard dynamic driver and a horn driver; the horn speaker is a more efficient version of the dynamic driver since it accelerates all the air out of a narrow opening just like the AMT driver is a more efficient version of a planar driver since it is folded and accelerates all the air out of its folds. All the same the horn driver is a sub-type of the dynamic driver just as the AMT is a sub-type of the planar driver...?

No. A planar diaphragm vibrates as a whole, but still moves air in a “pistonic” motion, similar to a dynamic driver. The AMT driver squeezes like an accordion. The Ether 2 is just a planar driver with folds. It still vibrates back and forth exactly like a planar. It doesn’t squeeze together like an accordion.

May 9, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #2,078 of 4,472
That's a pretty killer setup. I am like that with my HD800S, then I listen to them and put them back away after a session and think, why did I want to sell them. Glad I've held on to them for several years.
I often think of selling my 800S as well but I just listened to them last night with the benchmark dac3 and bryston bha1, and thought wow, they really are spectacular.

May 9, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #2,079 of 4,472

Thanks man. I don't use my HD800SDR nearly enough, but every time I do it reminds me not to sell it. Especially considering the price I paid compared to all the $2500—$5000k prevalent TOTL models today.

May 9, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #2,080 of 4,472
So I got a balanced cable...a cheap one with another set of phones....no doubt a difference

Punchier

The small notes more distinct...full bodied 3D

(All this goodness out of a $300 little piece of Schiit jot)

Now I know what synergy is with these!

Try this Wayne Shorter piece out...so much variety

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
May 9, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #2,081 of 4,472
I often think of selling my 800S as well but I just listened to them last night with the benchmark dac3 and bryston bha1, and thought wow, they really are spectacular.

Lol, so I'm not the only one. :)

In other news, listening to Casey Adams' new album "Jazz" with the HEDDphones and I just can't say enough about how real the trumpet sound with these headphones! I've played this instrument for 40+ years and this tonality and timbre is spot on!

May 9, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #2,082 of 4,472
Lol, so I'm not the only one. :)

In other news, listening to Casey Adams' new album "Jazz" with the HEDDphones and I just can't say enough about how real the trumpet sound with these headphones! I've played this instrument for 40+ years and this tonality and timbre is spot on!

It's quite hard to decide between this and the Susvara seeing all the good reviews and impressions for the HEDDphones

May 9, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #2,084 of 4,472
So I got a balanced cable...a cheap one with another set of phones....no doubt a difference

Punchier

The small notes more distinct...full bodied 3D

(All this goodness out of a $300 little piece of Schiit jot)

Now I know what synergy is with these!

Try this Wayne Shorter piece out...so much variety
Try this track, Ponta de Areia, from Esperanza Spalding. :wink:

May 9, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #2,085 of 4,472
"

The main disadvantages of the AMT driver are weight and production costs compared to conventional drivers.
"

Cost factor in high end headphone is a joke, their new type 20 is a 3 way with one of it being a AMT driver, come with 3 way total 900 W class D build in amp. Each speaker sell for less than these headphones. I can see why HEDD want to get into the headphoen market, the current price and margin of high end headphones are just insane, gross mark up % likely order of magnitude higher than studio monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back