HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Apr 3, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #1,621 of 4,472
I've only read maybe 2 other posts similar to my experience with the HEDD.
It wouldn't hurt for Taron to chime in. I have experience with almost all TOTL headphone with my current system and have had no issues relating to others experiences with this exception. I'm currently listening to my newly acquired HD800 via WA33 single ended and they sound fantastic. I just didn't get this at all with the HEDD in any way.
That's where I'm more likely to lean towards - you simply preferring another.

However, you did note some knocking noise early on.

Whatever the case was/is, it might give you reassurance with your decision.
It might also help others overcome fears there may be some QC or product variability.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #1,622 of 4,472
That's where I'm more likely to lean towards - you simply preferring another.

However, you did note some knocking noise early on.

Whatever the case was/is, it might give you reassurance with your decision.
It might also help others overcome fears there may be some QC or product variability.
You very well could be right by saying "you simply preferring another".
Yes, I did mention the knocking noise, but unfortunately I never followed through with that because I returned them. It turned out to actually be the diaphragm making to noise, which I didn't think it was.
It got less & less after more & more use. It does give me reassurance with my decision, but I still wish I heard what other are hearing. :)

Apr 3, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,624 of 4,472
Which will arrive first: the stimulus check or my headphones?

A dark horse will win this race -- your credit card bill!

Apr 3, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #1,625 of 4,472
A dark horse will win this race -- your credit card bill!
That was my fear. Paying interest on them long before they arrive!:astonished:

Apr 3, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #1,626 of 4,472
Well, this appeared on their Facebook page about four hours ago, so good news all around!

“We are thrilled to announce that the HEDDphone® is now officially shipping worldwide. All units come with a slightly extended headband as suggested by our customers. To all you CanJam Global ’ers and the HeadFi Community from all around the world: We are grateful for all your feedback and your enthusiasm. We would also like to thank our various German partners and suppliers who have helped us develop our dream of making a #MadeinGermany headphone based on the Air Motion Transformer independently. Stay safe everyone, and all the best from Berlin.”

Apr 3, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #1,629 of 4,472
Timbre is the tonal character of an instrument or a specific note played by the headphone; there is nothing "better" or "worse".
Just subjective, liking it or not.
" ... do instruments sound big.. " excellent stereo imaging in terms of sound stage width. In terms of height stax stax lambda 700 and hifiman Arya and the HE-models sound taller.
" ... and kind of unfocused ..." unfocused = imaging? Imaging is excellent, better than audezes or focals. Hd 800 S is similar but more in front.
Definition is resolution - what has this to do with being unfocused?

Kinda hard to explain if you mix definitions up like that :slight_smile:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/describing-sound-a-glossary.220770/

Apr 3, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #1,630 of 4,472
Timbre is the tonal character of an instrument or a specific note played by the headphone; there is nothing "better" or "worse".
Just subjective, liking it or not.
" ... do instruments sound big.. " excellent stereo imaging in terms of sound stage width. In terms of height stax stax lambda 700 and hifiman Arya and the HE-models sound taller.
" ... and kind of unfocused ..." unfocused = imaging? Imaging is excellent, better than audezes or focals. Hd 800 S is similar but more in front.
Definition is resolution - what has this to do with being unfocused?

Kinda hard to explain if you mix definitions up like that :slight_smile:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/describing-sound-a-glossary.220770/
Untitled.png

Timbre does affect imaging, at least in my experience with Audeze planars (LCD-2). Instruments sound bigger/taller but also hazy in terms of image definition for individual instruments. Hi-hats also don't sound like hats. Tonally they do, especially after you fix the FR with EQ, but the texture is kinda hazy. It has detail but it's harder to tell where that detail comes from. In that regard, my IEMs have better more focused timbre and definition of images.

Edit: Your glossary is also subjective. My usage of the word timbre is correct. At least people have been known to use the word that way to describe headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #1,631 of 4,472
Why did I not hear this in any way with my pair, nor did 3 other Head-Fi members hear this?
Definitely thinking there was something wrong with the pair I received after reading almost all positive impressions.
Glad you're enjoying them so much!

EDIT: This was via my WA33, GS-X and Citadel Custom using an Audeze XLR cable.

Not sure. I don't think there was anything wrong...these are made in Germany after all. But you did have that knocking issue, so there could have been an issue after all?

I have tried them balanced and to my surprise, they come off a bit "dull", back to the stock cable and they came alive again. Not sure if these drivers respond to balanced? Could be the cable too? They sound amazing right now as I right this with Pearl Jam's latest LP and played unbalanced with my DAVE --> HPA4. Most here love them FWIW and to my ears they are in my top 5 or 6 headphones right now.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #1,632 of 4,472
Asking if the "timbre is good for resolution and sound stage characteristic" is like asking if the bass is good for sound stage and detail retrieval.
Very very far off, kinda understandable what you mean; still wrong usage of terminology.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbre "The tonal character of an instrument".
It is just an objective description how something - a tone, be it from an real instrument or equalizer or whatever - sounds.

So of course it affects imaging, as x other sound characteristics do, as it is comprised of x sound characteristics. The same with sound stage, resolution etc.

"Hi-hats also don't sound like hats. Tonally they do ..." That is more of a correct usage of terminology :relaxed:
I guess you were asking if the overall timbre of the heddphone, consisting of x aspects as tonality and sound signature, is making hi-hats really sound like hi-hats in real life? As those two are the biggest aspects that make hi-hat not sound like those in real life.
If that was the question: Yes. Very balanced sound signature and natural sound, which leads to a very realistic (like listening with own ears) sound presentation.

Apr 3, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #1,633 of 4,472
Well, this appeared on their Facebook page about four hours ago, so good news all around!

“We are thrilled to announce that the HEDDphone® is now officially shipping worldwide. All units come with a slightly extended headband as suggested by our customers. To all you CanJam Global ’ers and the HeadFi Community from all around the world: We are grateful for all your feedback and your enthusiasm. We would also like to thank our various German partners and suppliers who have helped us develop our dream of making a #MadeinGermany headphone based on the Air Motion Transformer independently. Stay safe everyone, and all the best from Berlin.”

Good news, but what about previous buyers?

Apr 3, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #1,634 of 4,472
Good news, but what about previous buyers?

Personally I find them just fine with the maximum setting on my pair. So I'm good. I find them absolutely stunning headphones that offer Utopia-like resolution and speed with likely some of the very best treble I've heard. The bass is also a tad punchier than the Focal's and the sound staging is substantially improved. Not bad for less than 1/2 the cost. :)

Apr 3, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #1,635 of 4,472
What about the previous buyers?
I don't expect the seller or manufacturer to swap all previous sold headphones for new ones, as these previous sold are not broken or defective.
The buyers had the time window to test and if not fitting, return them to the seller.
But maybe the seller is very accommodating and will swap them :wink: Still that would be a loss for seller and manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back