HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Feb 20, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #1,186 of 4,472
I'm not into that technical stuff: so what exactly - and how exactly - is a $ 3000 amplifier better doing (stage, layering, blackness of background, resolution, dynamics, attack/decay) than a $ 100?
I simply understood the amplifier gets the signal from the dac and simply amplifies it.
It is just current, information, moving electrons at the end? If a $ 100 amplifier one got enough "reserves" too power a headphone (this heddphone for example) , without distortion, noise etc. what exactly is another one doing better?
If you tested such inexpensive and expensive ones: You listened to it while normalizing the sound, 60, 70, 70 etc. dB for example?
Thanks!

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #1,187 of 4,472
I'm not into that technical stuff: so what exactly - and how exactly - is a $ 3000 amplifier better doing (stage, layering, blackness of background, resolution, dynamics, attack/decay) than a $ 100?
I simply understood the amplifier gets the signal from the dac and simply amplifies it.
It is just current, information, moving electrons at the end? If a $ 100 amplifier one got enough "reserves" too power a headphone (this heddphone for example) , without distortion, noise etc. what exactly is another one doing better?
If you tested such inexpensive and expensive ones: You listened to it while normalizing the sound, 60, 70, 70 etc. dB for example?
Thanks!

Look, this isn't the proper thread for this sort of question. Take it to an amp thread.

To put it simply though, you are missing a step, a crucial one: the amplifier gets the signal from the DAC, adds noise, and then amplifies it (well, then it also attenuates it). That addition of THD+N is where you get a lot of the differences between one amp and another. A cheap amp might measure well enough that you think it shouldn't sound any different than an expensive amp, but that makes one big assumption: that the THD+N output for a single sample tone, say 1kz, will effectively measure the output THD+N for all frequencies in real music. There is a section on how these measurements are taken here.

Moreover, while many such tests are objective, that doesn't mean that they actually reflect what sounds good. Here's something analogous: Let's say you are trying to determine the most attractive person and you use the objective measurement of BMI to find people within a range that is deemed ideal. While the measurements of BMI are objective and accurate, they don't necessarily correlate with beauty. Maybe you throw in age, height, physical symmetry, etc., but you still have the same problem. Worse, which measurements do you privilege over others? By establishing a hierarchy of traits, subjectivity sneaks in. Ultimately, beauty is not something that can be reduced down to an impressive set of measured specs, with people or with amps. People like what they like. If you don't share that opinion, cool. But, don't be a dick about it. I absolutely love my very expensive amp and never had to do an A/B test to determine that. The difference between it and my previous gear was obvious, immediate, and breathtaking, and I couldn't care less whether other people agree.

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #1,189 of 4,472
Thanks!

I have several headphone amps and they all sound different. Different designs will yield different results: class A vs A/B, tubes, hybrids, discrete output stages vs opamps, etc.
The presentation in terms of tonal balance, smoothness, soundstage, lean vs rich, etc all differ. Power supply design has a big impact.

Do many headphone amps sound alike? Sure.
Are all headphone amps created equal? No. Not by a long shot.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #1,190 of 4,472
I am not interested in all this talk about amplifiers. I just want to know how long I have to wait to get my HEDD headphones.
I spoke to The guys at HEDD during CJNYC and they told me the issue is that the yokes which are sourced from China didn't meet their criteria due to their finish. While China was revising their yokes the coronavirus broke out and they weren't able to continue the revision for obvious reasons.

HEDD has also reached out to a German company to make their yokes and they're not available as of yet.
So now both, the Chinese & German companies are making yokes for HEDD and whichever company delivers first and meets HEDD's criteria will get the account (at least for now). With this, I was also told that if you ordered from headphones.com you should be receiving your HEDDphones by the end of February.

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,195 of 4,472
This was directed at Joseph 69 since he has talked with HEDD and posted the yoke issue. This quality control issue with the yokes will definitely delay delivery of the headphones to us on the waiting list
I don't understand you questioning "Will this yoke problem hold up delivery time for the headphones?"
Of course it is, this was the whole point of my post. :beerchug:

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #1,197 of 4,472
I just got a word from Taron (Headphones.com). Another 8 pairs of HEDD are on the way from Germany. So, congrats for #1-#8 waiting list. Mine is #23 -> #15 so hopefully to get mine on the next batch.
Except, to be clear, HEDD told Taron this exact line January 29. Shrugs.

Feb 21, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #1,200 of 4,472
I am #24 on the waiting list. There appears to be 8 released every 2 weeks now (but before this new quality control issue). They are at #15 now, right? I will ask Frederick at HEDD or e-mail Headphones .com and ask them.
Hello,
Sorry had to jump in here as I usually just read posts. I was #17 on the original listing. Got mine just 2 weeks ago and like others the head band doesn't fit over my ears. So here comes the crazy part. I first pushed the head band further back from the top of my head. It was better then I swap the cables to the cups left to right side and right to left side then flipped the head phones around and tried to listen that way. The cups just fit over my ears, can listen for awhile with out adjusting. I'm in love with these. Headphones.com did included an Asona wooden HP stand in the box. So with the crazy part over with, I'm going back to lurking.
73's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back