HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Feb 8, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #1,096 of 4,472
Oh please. Just because HEDD have plans for a future flagship 3 years down the line doesn’t make the here and now obsolete. Stax are officially working on an Omega 3, does that make the 009S yesteryear’s headphone? Or what about the rumored Utopia 2? Guess all Utopia owners are obsolete now. I’ll do you one better - RAAL have a circumaural headphone planned. Whoops, guess the SR1A isn’t endgame anymore huh?

This kind of mindless speculation and endless hypetrain chasing is a waste of brain energy. Live in the here and now and not in the clouds for once.
Wow , you put a lot of energy.

Feb 8, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #1,097 of 4,472
Oh please. Just because HEDD have plans for a future flagship 3 years down the line doesn’t make the here and now obsolete. Stax are officially working on an Omega 3, does that make the 009S yesteryear’s headphone? Or what about the rumored Utopia 2? Guess all Utopia owners are obsolete now. I’ll do you one better - RAAL have a circumaural headphone planned. Whoops, guess the SR1A isn’t endgame anymore huh?

This kind of mindless speculation and endless hypetrain chasing is a waste of brain energy. Live in the here and now and not in the clouds for once.

That's not my full message. The Head-Fi website glitched for me minutes ago.
Anycase, and quoting my half-written message:
"The only thing that keep these from being true endhame is the rumor Hedd is planning a flagship for the near future.
That it exists proves there is something beyond the Hedd in its own field. Nothing related to price.

But furthermore, that the sound of those is not your preference is not correlative to them being true endgame within their own sectors. The Raal is not able to do head-splitting bass, though you seem to have demoed it from a single Vidar. Though I have not had the luck to try it out, the Direct Drive Amps such as the JohtinheimR and RAAL's own direct drive supposedly make this issue nigh-negligible. Susvara and Orpheus are both overpriced and overtly polite, although for a good amount of people they have the perfect tonality. Abyss on the other hand is a unnatural sounding, though it is popular due to its Low End and Detail Retrieval.
Price is not correlated to perfection in this subjective market. That many headphones are priced with such high-markups show what people are willing to pay to reach their subjective tonal perfection. So what? If for many they are true-endgame, would they be categorized as audio-foolic snobs?
If it's about price, why has not everybody stopped at KSC-75s driven through an Apple Dongle?"

I am genuinely interested with the HEDD, though I admit, not only am I preparing my savings account for the tremendous hit a $6K equipment upgrade will entail. But of course, when the time comes I will book a demo at the closest audio shop: 300 miles away.

"True Endgame" was my slip. That I admit, since many have found it with a Verum One ran off Fiio equipment. Though that begs to question, why have Head-Fiers kept upgrading well into diminishing returns? True Endgame in this hobby is an illusion for the time being. Everyone will find themselves lusting for the next Utopia after 5 years.

And $100,000 headphones exists. They are called "Diamond Covered Beats" and owned by Rapper Who-Knows. Will their price automatically make them the greatest thing in audio since the Sony R10s?

The Hedd is today's Hype, I am here with popcorn for the rise of those that hate it. Why, I feel amused. But i am further amused of the mindless hate of the popcorn-munching 5-6 headfiers that stare at their screen expecting at my "stupid" (which I admit I am) response at this more ethos-swinging Head-Fier. Ah well, hopefully Garuspik arises with his Verum Flagship soon.

Feb 8, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #1,098 of 4,472
The only thing that keep these from being true endgame is the rumor Hedd is planning a flagship for the near future.
Besides the obvious flaw of using the cups as a stop and scratching them.
Q7pYvoL.jpg

Or the low quality pads compared to Audeze, ZMF or Meze
Nw3ylhL.jpg

0wPxV42.jpg

Or the low quality craftsmanship
MnnWbp9.jpg

Or the horrible foil creak when adjusting position due to the non existing air pressure relief that Audeze and Hifiman figured out a long time ago.
Or the fact dealers have been promised stock for a while now and still haven't received it and other dealers getting theirs in March:
1581185272575.png

Or the fact the prototype was fine yet the fist production sample has a short headband only a few find comfortable while others have to wait for longer ones while not knowing what they'll actually get since HEDD won't communicate the facts about the second batch.
If I get the short headband when the prototype was fine I'll lose my crap.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #1,099 of 4,472
The only thing that keep these from being true endhame is the rumor Hedd is planning a flagship for the near future.
That it exists proves there is something beyond the Hedd in its own field. Nothing related to price.

It is mostly like this unfortunately, first headphone and second one for double, probably only CustomwArt keeps their flagship always around 1100euros.
Honestly it is pretty fun read here that HEDDphone is half price of the highend models becouse it is still so high. These highend models over $2K have many weakness and everybody knows it is overpriced as hell :D.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #1,100 of 4,472
I was in the 2nd batch. No. 23 from headphones.com

I think it's improvement Sonics wise over the hekv1 I used to have. As great as those were, it didn't have the slam I was getting from even the he500, micro detail was there but there was a soft silkyness in the transients that made the top end detail slightly diffuse.

Contrast that with the hedd, not sure if it's the speed or driver tech, but woodwind instruments have a palatable vibrato and inner detail, that gives it a bit of natural spaciousness, that I wasn't hearing on the hek with the same setup.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #1,101 of 4,472
Can we get clarification on where xtreme4099 sourced his HEDD? As part of the second "batch" from Headphones.com, I've not received further updates as of yet.
Good point on where @xtreme4099 sourced his HEDD. I assumed (which I never should've) he got them from headphones.com, but he has confirmed that he did. I also haven't received further updates, but as I mentioned, I really don't mind when they show up.

Feb 8, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #1,102 of 4,472
Good point on where @xtreme4099 sourced his HEDD. I assumed (which I never should've) he got them from headphones.com, but he has confirmed that he did. I also haven't received further updates, but as I mentioned, I really don't mind when they show up.

It is only slightly annoying they've chosen not to address the yoke length -- most likely in favor of not falling behind current demand.

I'm #28. Not hatin'. In any case, I also don't mind when they show up.

I might also be the slightest bit annoyed of having to purchase an optional, longer "headband."

Feb 8, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #1,103 of 4,472
There is so much bullshitting going on in this threat. Heddphones can be endgame. An LCD-4Z is not overpriced, worth every cent and an incredible endgame experience that leaves almost everything in the dust that exists in audio including all speakers in existence. I had 17 stereo setups in my life up to 100k in value. I've been doing high-end audio and sound engineering for 30 years. If you want soundstage or width then buy speakers. Headphones are for detail retrieval, transients, plankton, bass slam without room modes, dry precise sound and an in your face engaging experience. This is their purpose. Every sound engineer will tell you so. All this bla bla on headfi and trying to put something in headphones that they will never be. The heddphone is so bulky because they wanted to create a wide sound stage. What a useless idea. This is not why you should buy headphones. If I want to fly, I won't buy a bike.

Feb 8, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #1,104 of 4,472
There is so much bullshitting going on in this threat. Heddphones can be endgame. An LCD-4Z is not overpriced, worth every cent and an incredible endgame experience that leaves almost everything in the dust that exists in audio including all speakers in existence. I had 17 stereo setups in my life up to 100k in value. I've been doing high-end audio and sound engineering for 30 years. If you want soundstage or width then buy speakers. Headphones are for detail retrieval, transients, plankton, bass slam without room modes, dry precise sound and an in your face engaging experience. This is their purpose. Every sound engineer will tell you so. All this bla bla on headfi and trying to put something in headphones that they will never be. The heddphone is so bulky because they wanted to create a wide sound stage. What a useless idea. This is not why you should buy headphones. If I want to fly, I won't buy a bike.

That’s your opinion. Many people do like and prefer a wide/large soundstage with headphones. I applaud Hedd for doing just that.

And as a former owner of the 4Z, that headphone is riddled with issues from stupid adhered/glued on earpads that have to be sent back to Audeze if you want to change them without voiding your warranty, to the claustrophobic soundstage with the stock earpads, and to the simultaneously darker sound plus weird, piercing treble peak.

The HEDDphone sounds way better to me than the 4Z and for less than half its cost. And it’s just a bonus that the earpads are easy to remove and put back on.

Feb 8, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #1,105 of 4,472
It is only slightly annoying they've chosen not to address the yoke length -- most likely in favor of not falling behind current demand.

I'm #28. Not hatin'. In any case, I also don't mind when they show up.

I might also be the slightest bit annoyed of having to purchase an optional, longer "headband."
I'd agree about not addressing the headband issue die to demand.
As far as a revised headband for those who might have an issue, I'd hope they wouldn't have to pay for it.

EDIT: I'm right behind you with #29.

Feb 8, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #1,106 of 4,472
I had the same experience. Enough power Auralic Taurus MK II, 10-11 hours. Average sound stage, soft sound. Generally similar to Ether Flow. They didn't impress me.
I got one of the first fifteen from Headphones.com. I would not call them soft sounding at all. Very similar to my Utopia. With deeper bass and more of it. Also wider sound stage than the Utopia. I actually prefer them to my Utopia. Not as wide as Abyss or HD800s, which I also own. But more natural staging compared to the 800. They will remain in my headphone stable for the foreseeable future.

Feb 8, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #1,107 of 4,472
A salient factoid of note, or 2 or 3…
At these levels of SotA (State of the Art), EVERYTHING matters, such as the amp to HP pairing, the SQ characteristics of the dac, the cabling etc.
As these transducers become more and more precise and revealing this will be reflected in the SQ you hear, which IS BASED upon the signal delivered to them.

IOW if your existing setup was fine for your previous HP's that doesn't mean it will be fine for these HEDD's.
Case in point is using a high output impedance amp to drive low impedance HP's (HEDD's), let alone an under powered amp or a signal source that limits the resolution or inner detail etc.

Welcome to the SotA club where getting the most out of the entire system is the goal and finding the synchronistic setup that suits you, is part of the deal.
Well, that is if you desire to hear SotA levels of SQ.

Think of putting passenger tires on a sports car, yeah it rolls and goes around corners and stops just like 'any car', but to blame the car because the performance is lack luster misses the point that the entire system needs to be well 'matched' in order to experience the 'full meal deal'…

Just say'n is all.

JJ

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #1,108 of 4,472
But furthermore, that the sound of those is not your preference is not correlative to them being true endgame within their own sectors.
Or maybe the point is that "true endgame" is a meaningless term, and trying to categorize what people should/can like is ridiculous.

The Raal is not able to do head-splitting bass, though you seem to have demoed it from a single Vidar. Though I have not had the luck to try it out, the Direct Drive Amps such as the JohtinheimR and RAAL's own direct drive supposedly make this issue nigh-negligible.
You know, that's funny. The resonant frequency of the ribbon tweeter on RAAL is 30hz. I didn't know magic amps were capable of surpassing the basic physics inherent to the driver.

Or, to put it another way, as much as I hate to ruin people's fun with measurements or objectivism or anything of the sort, proper bass extension on the RAAL is impossible. Not to mention there are plenty of other problems with the RAAL. Of course, liking it is fine and dandy, but pretending like they don't have plenty of flaws (as everything else does) is silly.

Price is not correlated to perfection in this subjective market.
Then why is everything you listed over $4k USD? Pure coincidence?

And if you still don't get it, let me restate it one more time for you: Trying to categorize what can be an endgame transducer for other people is shallow and foolish. Trying to backtrack when you get called out for it is cowardly. So just call it quits while you're still ahead.

Besides the obvious flaw of using the cups as a stop and scratching them.
Q7pYvoL.jpg

Or the low quality pads compared to Audeze, ZMF or Meze
Nw3ylhL.jpg

0wPxV42.jpg

Or the low quality craftsmanship
MnnWbp9.jpg

Or the horrible foil creak when adjusting position due to the non existing air pressure relief that Audeze and Hifiman figured out a long time ago.
Or the fact dealers have been promised stock for a while now and still haven't received it and other dealers getting theirs in March:
1581185272575.png
Or the fact the prototype was fine yet the fist production sample has a short headband only a few find comfortable while others have to wait for longer ones while not knowing what they'll actually get since HEDD won't communicate the facts about the second batch.
If I get the short headband when the prototype was fine I'll lose my crap.
I think something you mentioned on the other site that you neglected to mention on here is that this is a demo unit. I don't know how fair it is to gauge the build quality on a demo unit that's been roughed up by countless uncaring customers and was more likely than not a bit rushed on HEDD's part, but I guess looking for problems where there aren't any is a pasttime of bored people on here.

And may I also mention that the driver flex found on here is due to the sealed front volume that is required for these to achieve bass extension, as well as the light mass of the driver. Other things that are fully front volume sealed and have driver flex include pretty much any given estat and a large number of dynamic driver IEMs. Comparing to Audeze and Hifiman is pointless because they use completely different driver types, and can achieve bass extension much more easily than an AMT.

Feb 8, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #1,109 of 4,472
20200208_192416.jpg

The diaphragm cracking is noted in the small informational included in the heddphone

Feb 8, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #1,110 of 4,472
Or maybe the point is that "true endgame" is a meaningless term, and trying to categorize what people should/can like is ridiculous.

You know, that's funny. The resonant frequency of the ribbon tweeter on RAAL is 30hz. I didn't know magic amps were capable of surpassing the basic physics inherent to the driver.

Or, to put it another way, as much as I hate to ruin people's fun with measurements or objectivism or anything of the sort, proper bass extension on the RAAL is impossible. Not to mention there are plenty of other problems with the RAAL. Of course, liking it is fine and dandy, but pretending like they don't have plenty of flaws (as everything else does) is silly.

Then why is everything you listed over $4k USD? Pure coincidence?

And if you still don't get it, let me restate it one more time for you: Trying to categorize what can be an endgame transducer for other people is shallow and foolish. Trying to backtrack when you get called out for it is cowardly. So just call it quits while you're still ahead.

Alright, I'm a mere snobbish neophyte who knows nothing about this hobby and whose assumptions are completely incorrect as a result of an excess of an utter generalizations meant to appeal the majority of Head-Fi readers who have not had the opportunity to try the hundred-or-so pairs of headphones which are truly worthy of consideration amidst this hobby. Have a good TOD.

(Curious thing, though. Nobody has mentioned the Jecklin Float QA which in my honest opinion approach the best design that can be achieved in Head-Fi. Just a slight observation.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back