HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Nov 11, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #241 of 4,478
I was invited by HEDD Audio to audition the latest pre-production model in October but I had different things on my mind...
Have a little patience... I'm sure the HEDDphone will go into production soon and be available online or in selected shops for Christmas.
I admit I hate it if companies nowadays are so negligent to forget to update their website regularly.
Probably Heddphone have a lot of things going, but why piss off potential future customers?
A few lines where they stand production-wise would not take more than 5 minutes of their precious time!

Nov 11, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #243 of 4,478
I admit I hate it if companies nowadays are so negligent to forget to update their website regularly.
Probably Heddphone have a lot of things going, but why piss off potential future customers?
A few lines where they stand production-wise would not take more than 5 minutes of their precious time!

It is a company of a few people only and they are simply still working on it. Maybe they are just waiting for the time that they are 100% sure of all the details? I think they deserve some patience. :)

Nov 11, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #244 of 4,478
I spoke to HEDD's CEO Frederik Knop extensively this recent Canjam Shanghai. Here is what I found:
The HEDDphone's tuning at the Canjam showing is final. The main changes from the prototypes will be in the headband and the yokes. Finalized yokes were shown as a single cup, of which an image is available on HEDD's Instagram.
HEDD are very intent on getting the few HEDDphone demo units they can make out to the right places. I asked specifically about demo units in Asia and they're expected to arrive in local stores in about 3 weeks. There will be about 300 HEDDphone units produced for sale by the end of the year. At the moment there are around 100 produced. The headphones are all made by hand so it's a slow and long process. The weight of the prototypes shown in Canjam was 700g, with the final headphone weighing around 600g.
Also, not sure if I should be revealing this, but HEDD also have plans for 2 future headphones. The next will be a closed back model at a cheaper range designed for studio use. This will come out in the next 2 years. The second will be a cost is no object TOTL competitor. Expect a Utopia or so price tier, and at least 2021 for any sort of release date or news on it.

Nov 11, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #245 of 4,478
I spoke to HEDD's CEO Frederik Knop extensively this recent Canjam Shanghai. Here is what I found:
The HEDDphone's tuning at the Canjam showing is final. The main changes from the prototypes will be in the headband and the yokes. Finalized yokes were shown as a single cup, of which an image is available on HEDD's Instagram.
HEDD are very intent on getting the few HEDDphone demo units they can make out to the right places. I asked specifically about demo units in Asia and they're expected to arrive in local stores in about 3 weeks. There will be about 300 HEDDphone units produced for sale by the end of the year. At the moment there are around 100 produced. The headphones are all made by hand so it's a slow and long process. The weight of the prototypes shown in Canjam was 700g, with the final headphone weighing around 600g.
Also, not sure if I should be revealing this, but HEDD also have plans for 2 future headphones. The next will be a closed back model at a cheaper range designed for studio use. This will come out in the next 2 years. The second will be a cost is no object TOTL competitor. Expect a Utopia or so price tier, and at least 2021 for any sort of release date or news on it.
Damn, that’s greedy. I spoke with them at AES 2 weeks ago and they told me this model will be their only model in the foreseeable future. The marketing rep used to work at Audeze and is very aware of the pricing of today’s TOTL market. He’s probably heard enough cans to know that if this model is a success, they can jack their price wayy up for the totl model. It’s sad seeing everyone copying Fang’s business model.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #246 of 4,478
Damn, that’s greedy. I spoke with them at AES 2 weeks ago and they told me this model will be their only model in the foreseeable future. The marketing rep used to work at Audeze and is very aware of the pricing of today’s TOTL market. He’s probably heard enough cans to know that if this model is a success, they can jack their price wayy up for the totl model. It’s sad seeing everyone copying Fang’s business model.
I don’t find it greedy considering the HEDDphone One already is a Utopia competitor. If they can genuinely bring a marked improvement from this to the table they could easily set a new bar for performance at that price bracket. Klaus Heinz apparently has some things in the works instead of just jacking the price for fun so I trust they know what they’re doing.

Nov 11, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #247 of 4,478
Nov 11, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #248 of 4,478
@phthora the price was said to be set for US $1700
@aminus Wow, so the Heddphone's tuning was final - any opinion on the tonal balance they're going with? Feel free to quote your review here from the meet thread if you've already answered.

Lambdastorm I'm not sure if you actually got to try the HEDDphone - and on a decent system? If yes I'm sure you can agree with me that its' performance is at least on par with the best of the Labmda series on a good system (I know it's apples/oranges comparing an electrostat to a VVT AMT headphone). IMO it punches leaps and bounds above its' fairly modest price range and if it scales as well as I suspect, there may be no major reason to even upgrade to a higher version (my hunch). I definitely think they're staying within a reasonable business model from what I can tell!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #249 of 4,478
@aminus Wow, so the Heddphone's tuning was final - any opinion on the tonal balance they're going with? Feel free to quote your review here from the meet thread if you've already answered.
The final tuning is somewhat neutral with a center midrange emphasis. Think 007 but without the upper midrange void. Sounds incredibly realistic with brass, which is a scary good combination on classical tracks with the high dynamic range and slam. Bass may or may not be slightly rolled off at the very end, will need more listening to confirm. Treble is mid-treble focused but not piercing, though I do kinda wish it had more lower treble like the Utopia does for cymbal stick impact. Initially on Day One I thought the lower midrange was a bit off and that it would turn some people off from it, but after further listening on Day Two I think the main problem people will have is the staging quirk that I'm not sure if I've described on Head-fi yet.

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #250 of 4,478
The final tuning is somewhat neutral with a center midrange emphasis. Think 007 but without the upper midrange void. Sounds incredibly realistic with brass, which is a scary good combination on classical tracks with the high dynamic range and slam. Bass may or may not be slightly rolled off at the very end, will need more listening to confirm. Treble is mid-treble focused but not piercing, though I do kinda wish it had more lower treble like the Utopia does for cymbal stick impact. Initially on Day One I thought the lower midrange was a bit off and that it would turn some people off from it, but after further listening on Day Two I think the main problem people will have is the staging quirk that I'm not sure if I've described on Head-fi yet.

What is staging quirk? Care to unpack that a little?

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #251 of 4,478

Lambdastorm I'm not sure if you actually got to try the HEDDphone - and on a decent system? If yes I'm sure you can agree with me that its' performance is at least on par with the best of the Labmda series on a good system (I know it's apples/oranges comparing an electrostat to a VVT AMT headphone). IMO it punches leaps and bounds above its' fairly modest price range and if it scales as well as I suspect, there may be no major reason to even upgrade to a higher version (my hunch). I definitely think they're staying within a reasonable business model from what I can tell!
That's exactly what I'm saying. There's no reason to release an upgraded model within the next two years if the production model sounds like the prototypes they brought to the show. Given how good these are they are in absolutely no rush to release anything else. A $1000 trickled-down portable model maybe, but not a $6K full-blown TOTL.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #252 of 4,478
What is staging quirk? Care to unpack that a little?
The HEDDphone’s staging is very wide, due to the pad thickness that places the driver fairly far away from your ears. Unfortunately, as a result of this too, it prevents the sound from resonating up of or out of the enclosure from the sides. This means that sounds that image inside of where the cups are on the HEDDphone tend to be stuck inside the cups and don’t resonate freely like they would on say the Utopia or the HD800. It also means holographic imaging is somewhat limited on the HEDDphone as it doesn’t have all that much room to work with.

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #253 of 4,478
That's exactly what I'm saying. There's no reason to release an upgraded model within the next two years if the production model sounds like the prototypes they brought to the show. Given how good these are they are in absolutely no rush to release anything else. A $1000 trickled-down portable model maybe, but not a $6K full-blown TOTL.

They’re trying to run a business aka make money. Can’t blame them if they have a product that will sell at a certain price point. I doubt they’ll refrain from putting an expensive totl product out there because it will annoy a few people on a forum that don’t want to or can’t afford to spend the money. Products become obsolete over time, that’s life. We should all know by now that when we buy a product there’s a good chance a newer version comes out soon and it’s up to us to manage our GAS.

Nov 15, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #254 of 4,478
I just couldn't resist quoting your post here from the Shanghai CanJam impressions thread - beautiful photo and it looks like their lighter headband is making it even more beautiful!

It is hard to explain in words... HEDD does not sound like an e-stat, dynamic or planar. I listened to it with Chord Dave. It is pleasant, soft and airy sounding, not harsh... I would say it was an enjoyable listen. Definitely a good surprise at the show. Nothing like He1 lol imo. Here is a pic I took with the prototype.
Not exactly expecting it to be comparable to the HE-1, but what did you mean by that? Much worse in some way, or just different sonic signature?
Also what would you say about the tonal balance - linear / flat, warm, bright, etc.?
... and any more gorgeous photos? :hushed:

@knopi yup I agree with your post on the impressions thread that many new flagships these are are unrealistic price. I'm pretty sure the guys at Heinz Electrodynamic Designs said these will go for $1,700 US but somehow on the impressions thread people were mentioning $2k (still worth it anyway).

Nov 15, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #255 of 4,478
Anyone can comment on the weight of these? I personally have worn the final audio D8000 and its really quite heavy and my neck gets sore after like 30 minutes of use and it feels like a fish bowl on my head. Not to mention the tip of my head feeling the pressure as well. I'm very used to my trusty beyer T1.2 which have very good ergonomics, so 600g seems ridiculous to have on my head tbh, but $1700 USD does sound like a value buy considering these are new tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back