HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Nov 15, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #256 of 4,480
Anyone can comment on the weight of these? I personally have worn the final audio D8000 and its really quite heavy and my neck gets sore after like 30 minutes of use and it feels like a fish bowl on my head. Not to mention the tip of my head feeling the pressure as well. I'm very used to my trusty beyer T1.2 which have very good ergonomics, so 600g seems ridiculous to have on my head tbh, but $1700 USD does sound like a value buy considering these are new tech.
If these could be only 600g and sound just as great as the one I auditioned at SoCal CanJam that would be a stealthy deal in my book. The original prototype was 800g and I never noticed the weight after several brief listening sessions, until people starting talking about it. Comfort of semi-heavy headphones has to do with how the clamping force can redistribute the weight on the side of the head, and the design of the headband, and of course head shape plays a role. I think that's what this long delay has been all about, trying to reduce the weight while keeping the sound the same with the modestly heavy proprietary tech inside. 600g would put it just around 50g over the Audeze LCD 2, maybe not so bad.

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #258 of 4,480
If these could be only 600g and sound just as great as the one I auditioned at SoCal CanJam that would be a stealthy deal in my book. The original prototype was 800g .... I think that's what this long delay has been all about, trying to reduce the weight while keeping the sound the same with the modestly heavy proprietary tech inside. 600g would put it just around 50g over the Audeze LCD 2, maybe not so bad.

600 g would be huge improvement indeed :)

In the Shanghai CanJam thread it said:"A bit heavy (they're aiming to shave 100g off) but worth it for the results.".... that would be rather 700g

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #261 of 4,480
Great news from IG!

upload_2019-11-23_16-31-10.png

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #262 of 4,480
As seen on their Instagram post, these headphones have a ridiculously large driver area when the AMT's fully unfolded. I have very high hopes for these being the game changer everyone's been waiting for.

First up this year we have SR1A, now this. 2020's probably the year for new driver tech breakouts. Who knows. Estats, planars and dynamic have been the dominant 3 for quite some years now. It's time for some new stuff.

Nov 27, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #263 of 4,480
As seen on their Instagram post, these headphones have a ridiculously large driver area when the AMT's fully unfolded. I have very high hopes for these being the game changer everyone's been waiting for.

First up this year we have SR1A, now this. 2020's probably the year for new driver tech breakouts. Who knows. Estats, planars and dynamic have been the dominant 3 for quite some years now. It's time for some new stuff.
Yeaaah Stax and Senn bringing out the big guns next year

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #264 of 4,480
Will I be able to power these headphones with my conventional amps? Have they released a price yet?

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #266 of 4,480
I tried the Heddphones on four different amps and saw others trying it on another. On a medium sized OTL tube amp (Feliks Audio Euforua) it was not powerful enough to be driven loudly, but on more powerful amps such as Prima Luna 200 or Quad PA1+ and the small portable Woo Audio amps were definitely loud enough as well as an unknown Hifiman amp. It's basically hit-and-miss at this point until we get more sound data on what it needs to be driven, albeit somewhat hard to drive. The point is more synergy than volume, and I do believe it's scales well with beefy amps. And the price is said to be around $1,700. My funds don't permit yet so I guess some of you guys will be able to get your hands on this fine beauty before me.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #267 of 4,480
I tried the Heddphones on four different amps and saw others trying it on another. On a medium sized OTL tube amp (Feliks Audio Euforua) it was not powerful enough to be driven loudly, but on more powerful amps such as Prima Luna 200 or Quad PA1+ and the small portable Woo Audio amps were definitely loud enough as well as an unknown Hifiman amp. It's basically hit-and-miss at this point until we get more sound data on what it needs to be driven, albeit somewhat hard to drive. The point is more synergy than volume, and I do believe it's scales well with beefy amps. And the price is said to be around $1,700. My funds don't permit yet so I guess some of you guys will be able to get your hands on this fine beauty before me.

Well I used to own the Abyss Diana V2 and it had similar specs.

Impedance of 40 ohms
Sensitivity of 90 db

And it could be driven very loudly with 2 watts from my micro black label. It could be loud enough to cause hearing damage with 4 watts (turbo mode).

Dec 1, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #268 of 4,480
Well I used to own the Abyss Diana V2 and it had similar specs.

Impedance of 40 ohms
Sensitivity of 90 db

And it could be driven very loudly with 2 watts from my micro black label. It could be loud enough to cause hearing damage with 4 watts (turbo mode).

To be clear, unlike many amps, or maybe even the standard way of designating such things, the power output is only officially listed at the 16 ohm level. At 16 ohms, the Black Label puts out about 2W/4W into 16 ohms and roughly half that at 32 ohm. If the Black Label can drive the HEDDphones well, then the power requirements are fairly moderate, I would think. Good news there.

That subjective appraisal also lines up with the power requirements based on the numbers:

Screenshot (5).png

I made it through 11.11 and Black Friday nearly unscathed, so I am eagerly awaiting the release, and reviews, of the HEDDphone One and ready to pounce. If that rumored price is accurate and the early impressions hold up, I'll certainly be ordering a pair myself. Seems like it will be a perfect match for my Benchmark stack.

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #270 of 4,480
Unless they changed the setup those don't look like headphone parts from their previous photos. January it is then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back