HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 7, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #4,396 of 4,513
I am considering buying a HEDDphone 2, but encountered one fairly positive review ( https://headphones.com/blogs/reviews/heddphone-two-review-ive-never-been-so-excited-for-a-headphone ) that complains about a certain overbrightness and hashy quality at the top end. Has anyone here encountered that ?
Hmm, not me. In fact to me the high end is a bit tapered compared to the HP1. But for me that works because I don't hear the "high end"; rather, it flows smoothly out of the midrange. That's one of the things I like about the HEDDphones: they don't sound "banded". All the frequency ranges work together as one unit to describe the instruments, stage, etc. Not sure if that makes sense...

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #4,398 of 4,513
HEDDphone One [my second time around] due to arrive tomorrow.

Nice! Maybe the second time's the charm for you as it was for me. Once the comfort issue is resolved there's really no other headphone like it.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #4,399 of 4,513
The HEDDphone One have landed!
These are the One, V1, [the "One-one"?] without elongated headband. They do fit my head well, though, albeit one click shy of maximum extension--but I'll take it!
Haven't even listened yet. I laid them on the couch until they achieved indoor temperature, then hooked them up [via 4-pin XLR out] to the SMSL SP400.
Plan to get in a little listen right after a light lunch, Deo volente.
:beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #4,400 of 4,513
Have the HEDDphone running balanced, on high gain, with volume knob turned all the way up on the SP400, and achieving moderate SPL.
Sound is absolutely lovely, and probably at a listening level adequate for my listening tastes but I would definitely appreciate a little more headroom.

First time I owned the One, I ended up driving them almost exclusively from the speaker outs of power amps [some rather beefy]. I am hoping the Schiit LYR+ can push the One a bit harder. Don't think the Hagerman will come close . . .

My bad!!! :blush:
I thought the volume knob on the SP400 stopped at "50". It actually has a lot more to go. I have it turned up to 57.5 [out of 80, I think] and everything sounds very very good. That really nice sense of space and the HEDDphone's inimitable bass response are coming to the fore. Detail aplenty but without sacrificing a bit of the One's naturalness and sublime musicality.
Looks like an extended listening session is on the [event] horizon!

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #4,401 of 4,513
Have the HEDDphone running balanced, on high gain, with volume knob turned all the way up on the SP400, and achieving moderate SPL.
Sound is absolutely lovely, and probably at a listening level adequate for my listening tastes but I would definitely appreciate a little more headroom.

First time I owned the One, I ended up driving them almost exclusively from the speaker outs of power amps [some rather beefy]. I am hoping the Schiit LYR+ can push the One a bit harder. Don't think the Hagerman will come close . . .

My bad!!! :blush:
I thought the volume knob on the SP400 stopped at "50". It actually has a lot more to go. I have it turned up to 57.5 [out of 80, I think] and everything sounds very very good. That really nice sense of space and the HEDDphone's inimitable bass response are coming to the fore. Detail aplenty but without sacrificing a bit of the One's naturalness and sublime musicality.
Looks like an extended listening session is on the [event] horizon!
Congratulations; both the one and the two are (very different, but) fantastic listening experiences.

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #4,403 of 4,513
Nice! Maybe the second time's the charm for you as it was for me. Once the comfort issue is resolved there's really no other headphone like it.
Actually, the first time around was a charm for me. At the end of that particular episode I had kept only the HEDDphone One and had set off building the best system I could around it.

Shortly afterward, I went through a "purging" stage (one of several in my "audiophile lifetime") and sold off everything (all except, interestingly, the custom cables I had commissioned for the One).

This time around is little different. The HEDDphone are, once again, uniquely my favorites. And, once more, I have the impetus to build the best system that I can (practically/budgetarily speaking) around them.

Will be doing some a/b-ing between the One and the Audeze MM-500 [the latter being the One's nearest competition in my current collection of headphones]. I am listening to the MM-500 now and they do, admittedly, sound quite good.

We'll wait and see--and listen(!)--our way to the next scene in this week's episode.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #4,404 of 4,513
Actually, the first time around was a charm for me. At the end of that particular episode I had kept only the HEDDphone One and had set off building the best system I could around it.

Shortly afterward, I went through a "purging" stage (one of several in my "audiophile lifetime") and sold off everything (all except, interestingly, the custom cables I had commissioned for the One).

This time around is little different. The HEDDphone are, once again, uniquely my favorites. And, once more, I have the impetus to build the best system that I can (practically/budgetarily speaking) around them.

Will be doing some a/b-ing between the One and the Audeze MM-500 [the latter being the One's nearest competition in my current collection of headphones]. I am listening to the MM-500 now and they do, admittedly, sound quite good.

We'll wait and see--and listen(!)--our way to the next scene in this week's episode.

Personally I like keeping things because rebuying things costs more money.

Actually the HEDD1 was the exception to that. I got a full refund on their MSRP from Headphones.com and then last year was easily able to find one brand new open box for $1100. So rebuying it actually saved me money... :laughing:

But they're not going anywhere now. It's funny because I don't actually think they're the best headphone I own (that would still be the Arya Stealth currently) but they're the ones that get the most head time nonetheless. Technically best doesn't mean most enjoyable, I guess, but it's more that they just happen to be the perfect headphones for what I actually want to listen to most evenings.

Jan 12, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #4,405 of 4,513
I just got a pair of the HEDDphone 2s, and can report some initial positive reactions. I immediately liked them a lot. My previous favorite headphone has been the Monoprice AMT (equalized), but this new HEDDphone beats it by quite a bit (as it should considering the price difference). The superiority of the HEDDphone 2 is a little subtle but once I identified the factors they really stood out. The main difference is in the soundstage - the HEDDphone has a considerably more three dimensional holographic outside the head sound field. It is as if noise and distortion are reduced by quite a bit revealing deeper layers in the recordings. And high frequencies are even more natural, seeming to be perfectly integrated with the lower treble and upper midrange rather than standing out slightly unnaturally.

The main downside so far appears to be the sensitivity, which is kind of low; by ear I estimate it as 2-3 dB lower than the AMT, apparently putting the HEDDphone 2 at around 87-88 dB/1 mw. These things do seem to need a lot of power. My Sparkos Labs Aries works OK with them but is not optimal, with a max output of about 3 w. This was plenty for the AMTs. A minor issue is comfort level, which isn't quite as good as the AMT due to the earcups being a little small for my ears.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #4,406 of 4,513
The HEDDphone One are rated at 60 42 ohms | 87 dB/mW and can be demanding.
I am considering the Violectric v222 but have doubts about the adequacy of that amp (2.8W at 50 ohms, 3.5W at 100 ohms) with the One.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 3:23 AM Post #4,407 of 4,513
The HEDDphone One are rated at 60 ohms | 87 dB/mW and can be demanding.
I am considering the Violectric v222 but have doubts about the adequacy of that amp (2.8W at 50 ohms, 3.5W at 100 ohms) with the One.

HEDDPhone one is rated at 42 ohms 87 Db/mw .. it is rather power hungry to get those specific deep throat impacts.. when 2x1.5W at 42 ohms are available, it usually produce enough instant juice for those kicks.

I don't know anything about Violectric at 42 ohms but with 2.8W at 50 ohms, it should probably be fine.. Proper portable amps are tricky to find, but desktop amps are usually adequate.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #4,408 of 4,513
Our review of the HEDDphone Two is now posted with comparisons to the OG, Arya Stealth, MM-500, and the new DCA E3. :)

https://headfonics.com/hedd-audio-heddphone-two-review/

1705136438440.png

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #4,409 of 4,513
HEDDPhone one is rated at 42 ohms 87 Db/mw .. it is rather power hungry to get those specific deep throat impacts.. when 2x1.5W at 42 ohms are available, it usually produce enough instant juice for those kicks.

I don't know anything about Violectric at 42 ohms but with 2.8W at 50 ohms, it should probably be fine.. Proper portable amps are tricky to find, but desktop amps are usually adequate.
Thank you for the correction [not sure where the "60" came from(!) :blush: ]. Original post has been fixed.

The HEDDphone Two is rated at 41 ohms|89 dB/mW.

The SP400 drives the HEDDphone just fine [in both balanced (6W into 32 ohms) and single-ended (3W into 32 ohms) modes].

Will be trying the Schiit LYR+ [which should have ample power to drive the HEDD: 4W into 50 ohms/6W into 32 ohms].

I have serious doubts about the Hagerman Tuba, though [0.35W into 32 ohms--the headfonics review recommends 0.8 to 1W (into 32 ohms)]. The One may mark the end-of-the-line for the Tuba [a very good hybrid amp, but an amp I have nevertheless been on the fence about since first acquiring it].

The Violectric v222 should(?) be fine:
1705156862707.png

. . . somewhere between 2.2 and 2.8W . . . but I think I'd like a little more headroom, er HEDDroom . . .

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #4,410 of 4,513
If it helps anyone, after a lot of experimenting, I've found that adding a shelving EQ +4.16 dB at 35 Hz with a Q of 0.3 and one +0.4dB at 12k with a Q of 0.3 makes the TWO a bit better sounding. Could just be my taste of course, but messing with settings in that vicinity might will help someone else. Need to drop output gain by a dB also.

I use FabFilter in Audirvana Studio, if that helps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back