HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Oct 7, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #4,276 of 4,478
I give them a lot of slack considering that HEDD's VVT AMT is literally the first AMT driver to do bass.....AT ALL! But I think the talk about sub-bass roll-off has more to do with how most of us have gotten so used to the way planars sound (since they've taken over most of the highend market), and yeah if you compared HEDDphones to dynamic driver headphones, the sub-bass response is pretty good. It just doesn't RuMbLe like a planar.

Oct 7, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #4,277 of 4,478
I give them a lot of slack considering that HEDD's VVT AMT is literally the first AMT driver to do bass.....AT ALL! But I think the talk about sub-bass roll-off has more to do with how most of us have gotten so used to the way planars sound (since they've taken over most of the highend market), and yeah if you compared HEDDphones to dynamic driver headphones, the sub-bass response is pretty good. It just doesn't RuMbLe like a planar.
It’s not that good actually. There are plenty of dynamic headphones that have a much better bass response from 40hz to 20hz. In fact, most ZMF models do. But, yes, that sub bass response is definitely an inherent advantage to planars.

Oct 7, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #4,278 of 4,478
It’s not that good actually. There are plenty of dynamic headphones that have a much better bass response from 40hz to 20hz. In fact, most ZMF models do. But, yes, that sub bass response is definitely an inherent advantage to planars.

My only experience with ZMF headphones is the Auteur OG, but I definitely wouldn't say that's one that's better. The Auteur Classic is supposedly better, but most of ZMF's headphones are more expensive than either of the HEDDphones.

Yes there are dynamics that are better. The DT1990 Pro had awesome bass. Hell my 50 year old Stanton Dynaphase Sixty has godlike bass. But I wouldn't call the HEDDphone ONE bad either. I definitely hear the sub-bass, but again, it's not going to rumble like a personal set of subwoofers on your head.

Oct 7, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #4,279 of 4,478
My only experience with ZMF headphones is the Auteur OG, but I definitely wouldn't say that's one that's better. The Auteur Classic is supposedly better, but most of ZMF's headphones are more expensive than either of the HEDDphones.

Yes there are dynamics that are better. The DT1990 Pro had awesome bass. Hell my 50 year old Stanton Dynaphase Sixty has godlike bass. But I wouldn't call the HEDDphone ONE bad either. I definitely hear the sub-bass, but again, it's not going to rumble like a personal set of subwoofers on your head.
I actually think the original HEDDphone measures better in the sub bass than the 2. If I remember correctly, the original HEDDphone only dropped around 3-4 db’s from 40hz-20hz.

Oct 8, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #4,282 of 4,478
I thought there was supposed to be no big difference in SQ between them?
I guess you're misunderstanding the terms a bit.

SQ, in its sense, is not coupled with sound tuning automatically.

I agree that, subjectively, it's mixed very often.
But it isn't the same thing.

So while the tuning may differ in some point, the quality could be equal or above the predecessor. :)

It's a very personal thing to call your preferred tuning in a row with the sound quality, imo.

As example, my VO and Monitor 5 are tuned like the sun and moon are apart from each other on a summer day. ^^
But I wouldn't go that far to say they're are when it comes to the quality of sound reproduction.

They serve different needs on different genres great. :)

p.s.
I'm happy to hear both, H1 and H2, side by side in the near future to make up my mind, with which I'll enjoy my music more. :hugging:

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #4,283 of 4,478
@freddyknop is the sub bass roll off a tuning decision? Or is there a limitation with the type of driver used? Is it possible to have flat bass down to 20hz with AMT in an open back design
Fair question! The current HEDDphone ONE / TWO driver design makes it indeed a bit trickier (compared to planar / dynamic headphones) to freely tune in the sub-bass region; we would need more space in the driver and a different geometrical line-up of the AMT/diaphragm folds. All doable, but not in the context of how we have approached things so far. That being said, I personally believe that AMTs, if well designed, deliver the cleaner and more refined bass response. Using many folds, each handling minimal excursion only, compared to one flat membrane having to shift all the air, brings certain advantages for dynamics and detailed transient response. We truly believe in that, otherwise why all the hassle, right? :upside_down:

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #4,284 of 4,478
All doable, but not in the context of how we have approached things so far.
So more RnD to come and try different approaches?

I have high hopes for this tech but I'm also a Basshead

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #4,285 of 4,478
So more RnD to come and try different approaches?

I have high hopes for this tech but I'm also a Basshead
Yes, AMT is a permanent development process at HEDD and we are taking customer feedback more serious than ever.
Mastering legend Bob Katz once told me he finds HEDDphone TWO very flat in the good sense, that all the frequencies are there and it's a tabula rasa for EQ. HEDDphone TWO will happily take some serious bass lifting should you want to tweak and prefer more weight and body.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #4,286 of 4,478
Yes, AMT is a permanent development process at HEDD and we are taking customer feedback more serious than ever.
Mastering legend Bob Katz once told me he finds HEDDphone TWO very flat in the good sense, that all the frequencies are there and it's a tabula rasa for EQ. HEDDphone TWO will happily take some serious bass lifting should you want to tweak and prefer more weight and body.
That's very reassuring.
Hopefully I can audition them soon(ish) at my own system.

Oct 10, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #4,287 of 4,478
Second update on the HP1 cracked earcups situation:

The Source AV (retailer I bought them from) said that unfortunately they have no more new units in stock; told me they couldn't order any more units(????). HEDD Audio offered me a future discount on the recently released V2, but I declined as I like the V1's sound more. Gonna try talking to The Source AV one more time; if they still tell me they're not going to replace my unit I'll just take my losses, and keep the HEDDphone V1 I have. I would *normally* return them, but I got these at an amazing price ($1100), and don't want to pay a different retailer $1400-$1500 with taxes for a new unit.

The cracks in the earcups don't affect how they sound, so I'm *somewhat* fine with that problem. I was also able to stop the diaphragm's crinkling noises by keeping the seal against my ears broken (luckily I don't notice a difference in sound). Here's my janky looking seal breaker; basically have one of those velcro cable ties stuffed under the pad, secured with a twist tie to the connector. Not pretty, but it works!

unnamed (8).jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #4,290 of 4,478
Awesome in-depth review as always! Haven't heard the V2 but from your review it seems that everything's been vastly improved except for tonality and I also agree that for a lot of eq-shunning audiophiles tonality is king..
HEDD V1 was spot on for me tonality wise especially because of its similarity to the Hifiman Susvara:
1698252723258.png
With notable differences being the 6k cavern, which can bother some, and the 15k+ brightness which is not nice for young people.

It seems to me that for people with strong necks and small heads the V2 might be a sidegrade not an upgrade, but I'll have to listen to V2 myself at some point to confirm :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back