HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
May 3, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #2,011 of 4,478
Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #2,012 of 4,478
May 3, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #2,013 of 4,478
HE1000SE are back in [with ac conditioner/voltage regulator].

More extended and solidified bass, with better pitch control, compared to the Heddphone. Much of the "edginess" and "starkness" have been excised from the HifiMAN's overall presentation; more liquidity in the midrange, more replete transient response and increased soundstage depth have been introduced. The air, which seemed a bit flaccid, thin and sterile before is now more punchy, more "oxygenated" and lively.

While both the Heddphone and the HEKSE benefit from the power conditioner, the HifiMAN evidences more significant improvement and exert more of their planar prowess.

. . . Heddphone are back on. Dynamics, tonality, frequency, all sound more rounded/finished, seamlessly integrated and natural. In terms of overall liquidity and micro dynamic texture, I prefer the Hedd. Female vocals sound more alive, "human" and penetrating, too.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #2,015 of 4,478
If you want one of the best power conditioners that will significantly improve everything that you plug into it, take a look at the Equi=Tech 2RQ. I've had a lot of power conditioners including 3 PS Audio Perfect Wave conditioners, 1 from Monster Cable, 2 from Running Springs, 2 from Adcom, and 1 from API. The Equi=Tech 2RQ supplies balanced power to all my components in my basement system including: Auris Nirvana vacuum tube headphone amp, Luxman P700u SS balanced headphone amp, Bryston BDA-3 DAC, Aurender N100H digital server, Audio by Van Alstine 600R stereo amp (300W/Ch) and Van Alstine FET Valve vacuum tube preamp, Rega P10 turntable power supply and my Luxman EQ-500 vacuum tube phono stage.

The 2RQ is great for people that have integrated their headphone and speaker systems because it can handle a lot of components with no limitation of current and dynamics. Before getting the 2RQ, I've always found that plugging my big stereo power amps into the wall was better than plugging them into a power conditioner. The 2RQ is the first power conditioner that I've tried that enhances the dynamic capability of big power amps while also improving imaging, soundstage width and especially depth. Grain in the midrange and highs that I didn't know existed in my system, was vastly eliminated by the Equi=Tech. The Model Q is the line to get because they use the best transformer, a very large Plitron torroidal transformer wired for balanced operation. It's not cheap and it's big (low in height but large in depth) and heavy so it obviously not for everyone. The difference it has made to my system has taken it to a completely higher level. I think it most benefits those that have reached their end game system and are looking for something that can improve every component in their large system.

Take a look at Equi=Tech's client list here: https://www.equitech.com/clients/

May 3, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #2,019 of 4,478
What’s the cost of that?
The price list is on their site. I bought my 2RQ for about $3900 brand new directly from Equi=Tech about 14 months ago. Their price list shows the 2RQ at $5400. I think when I bought it early in 2019 the list price was $4700 so the price has been increased. I was able to negotiate a nice discount off their list price. A couple of other things to note about Equi=Tech is that they don't change their models every few years like PS Audio, Shunyata; etc so your purchase doesn't become obsolete in a few years. Also, the torroidal transformer has a lifetime transferable warranty, I think that speaks volumes about the quality of their product. I highly recommend their "Q" line of products. I think the Q line has the Plitron transformer where as the Son of Q has transformers sourced from China.

May 3, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #2,020 of 4,478
Maybe trying such things next live, being a millionaire, with equipment that cost x times the headphone itself, when 99% diminishing returns do not matter to me :smile:
You mentioned it changes the way luxury $ 5k + equipment (big power amps) plays, so I guess equipment for 500 - 1000 will not profit for it as much?

May 3, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #2,021 of 4,478
Focal Utopia [with UPOCC silver recable] have entered the fray.

More comfortable than the Heddphone. Superior [fine/subtle] tonal shading and [fine/subtle] dynamic contrasts compared to either the HEKSE or the Heddphone. A greater sense of quickness and agility, too. In terms of absolute detail retrieval, I might also give the Utopia the edge over the Heddphone.

Scale, sense of openness and 3-dimensionality of the soundstage would be where the Hedd betters the Focal. The Utopia, by comparison, sound a tad constrained. [NOTE: Amping the Utopia with ecp DSHA 3F opens up the soundstage notably.] The Hedd's air feels fuller/denser tonally [though not as subtle/nuanced in overall tonal delivery], with a more natural tonal "curvature" [I am at a loss for better words at present]. The Focal's air feels fuller/denser dynamically, with a more natural dynamic "curvature".

Better control of the low bass registers belongs to the Hedd.

[By "curvature" I mean how credibly well the listening space is filled, and/or structured, and/or shaped, and/or ordered with this or that particular audio aspect.]

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #2,023 of 4,478
Maybe trying such things next live, being a millionaire, with equipment that cost x times the headphone itself, when 99% diminishing returns do not matter to me :smile:
You mentioned it changes the way luxury $ 5k + equipment (big power amps) plays, so I guess equipment for 500 - 1000 will not profit for it as much?
Like I said above, I think it's best for people with large headphone and speaker system electronics integrated into 1 large system with what they think is their endgame system. I have about $40K of electronics plugged into the Equi=Tech 2RQ. No I don't think it would be wise to buy it if you have $500-1000 worth of electronics.

May 3, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #2,024 of 4,478
Like I said above, I think it's best for people with large headphone and speaker system electronics integrated into 1 large system with what they think is their endgame system. I have about $40K of electronics plugged into the Equi=Tech 2RQ. No I don't think it would be wise to buy it if you have $500-1000 worth of electronics.

Steve,
The 2RQ, I am guessing, would be way more than what I need. My set-up is now headphone only [having downsized from a dedicated listening room over a decade ago]. Does Equi=Tech offer something more commensurate with my more modest power needs?

May 3, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #2,025 of 4,478
Steve,
The 2RQ, I am guessing, would be way more than what I need. My set-up is now headphone only [having downsized from a dedicated listening room over a decade ago]. Does Equi=Tech offer something more commensurate with my more modest power needs?
In their Q line up, they offer the 1.5RQ that is 15 amps. I think that would be more than enough for almost any headphone amp/DAC and server and medium powered speaker amps. The 1.5RQ offers the same quality as the 2RQ (20 amps) for smaller less current demanding systems. The Son of Q is their lower line but I'm sure it's quite good at a lower cost point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back