Heavy Treble, Light Bass on my M50's?
Mar 8, 2011 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BRSxIgnition

Headphoneus Supremus
It's odd, I don't remember them being like this, but today I played about 20 songs on them, ranging from techno to classic to light rock to ballads, and all seemed to have too much treble and not enough bass. I remember listening to these songs before and it didn't sound this way.

What's worse, is that there was some simblance on the already-bright songs.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Mar 8, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 9
Ya, I feel like my M50's could pass as bright sometimes. I just EQ it.

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 9
If you're using Electric-Q EQ for example you could simply add about 3~5dB reduction around 9kHz and possibly at 16kHz of only about 1.5~2.5dB reduction, should take care of that as that's where M50 got a slight peak, otherwise the highs should be on a pretty suitable level.

Mar 8, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 9
I don't have an EQ like that for portable use though, only on my computer. Otherwise, I seem to prefer my TMA-1's out of my iPod (love them), which sucks, because they aren't as comfortable as the M50's for longer (2+ hour sessions)

Mar 8, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 9
Can you give an estimate of how many hours you've used your M50s?

Mar 8, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 9
I think this is something not specifically related to a type/model headphones.
All the headphones I have owned and listened to for longer periods (meaning months to years), even the most laid back non-sibilant headphones could sound horribly bright and aggressive at times and not because the tracks I listened to were poorly recorded and overly bright.
Not the fault of the headphones, but how I perceived sound at that particular moment, it could be because I was physically tired at that moment I don't know, but this phenomena still occurs at times.

Mar 8, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:

Ears, pads, position on your head, weather.  This happens on occasion w/ some of my headphones.  Try playing w/ cup position over your ears.  Cold be a power issue w/ you source.

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 9
This going to sound a lttle weird, but I've read about this from others whole attest to it.  During the overall burn-in process a headphone will sometimes sound worse before it reaches its final point.  At that final point the headphone will sound its absolute best.  So, you may need at least 50 more hours before your headphones sound their best as what you're experiencing could be just part of the headphones' overall burn-in process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back