Hearyourself.com custom IEM discussion thread
Nov 4, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #1,592 of 1,734
Just ordered a pair of AE2's, hopefully everything will work out. I was debating between the AE2's and the Livewire duals. I sided with the AE2's because of the return policy and the free impression kit.

EDIT: Did a bit more research...does anyone recommend springing for the C2's so I have the option of buying a better cable? Will buying a cable from UE or Westone improve the SQ dramatically or is it just not worth it?

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #1,593 of 1,734
Buying a Westone of UE cable probably won't improve the sound quality dramatically. I myself prefer removable cables as if the cable breaks then you don't have to send the whole monitor in for repair.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #1,594 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sterny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered a pair of AE2's, hopefully everything will work out. I was debating between the AE2's and the Livewire duals. I sided with the AE2's because of the return policy and the free impression kit.

EDIT: Did a bit more research...does anyone recommend springing for the C2's so I have the option of buying a better cable? Will buying a cable from UE or Westone improve the SQ dramatically or is it just not worth it?

Go for the C2 and pcik up a UE cable. It helps bring out the highs on the C3's to a noticeable degree, so it should help the C2 as well.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #1,595 of 1,734
If one were to buy the C2's and get a UE cable, why not just get a pair of JH5's from JHAudio then? It's only about $15 more than a C2 with a UE cable.

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #1,596 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If one were to buy the C2's and get a UE cable, why not just get a pair of JH5's from JHAudio then? It's only about $15 more than a C2 with a UE cable.

I was actually considering this, except I have a very limited budget. I would only go for the JH5's if they were dramatically better then the AE2's.

Is this the case? After reading the JH5 appreciation thread I didn't really get that vibe.

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #1,597 of 1,734
Considering how long Jerry has been doing this, and since he's specialized in the research and development of the circuitry in custom monitors since he's started, i would say the JH5 will be a significant upgrade to the AE2. This is my speculation, not a fact.

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #1,598 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sterny /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't recommend buying them at all

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #1,599 of 1,734
Well, I just received my impression kit in the mail. I've decided to stick with the AE2's and try them out. If they aren't very good I can just return them.

Besides, assuming that I do my impressions correctly, I'll be saving money in the long run. Impressions would normally cost me $80, and I'd be getting them for the $30? dollar restocking fee (on the premise that they allow you to keep the impressions you made even if you decide to return them).

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #1,600 of 1,734
Hey that's great to hear. Hope everything goes well. If you really don't like them then you could try to see if Jerry can help you out with the JH5's, since you're also interested.

Nov 13, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #1,601 of 1,734
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

Left side of my c3's sound is higher than the right one.
I think the mid/high driver is dead...
Will try to contact André, hope he will be ok to fix this problem, as I can still use the warranty till the end of november...

How long do you thing it will take for fixing my hearphones (i'm living in France...)
triportsad.gif
frown.gif

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #1,603 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why doesn't someone just try to go ask Jerry for a discount since you weren't satisfied with other offerings, and found the JH5 to be just slightly over the budget
wink.gif
i'm sure he can do something about it.

Hmmm. Camping in a AE thread defering people to JH?
very_evil_smiley.gif
!!!

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #1,604 of 1,734
Hey everybody. I am looking to upgrade to custom IEMs from Shure E2C's and Shure SRH840's. My budget is very limited, so the DIY-impressions kit from Alien Ears is VERY appealing (my first customs). But, are there any other entry-level customs I should be considering? I think that since Fidelity (previously Livewires, right?) starts higher and doesn't include the impressions kit that pretty much rules them out. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back