Hearyourself.com custom IEM discussion thread
Oct 17, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #1,576 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a litttle too late for me though.. i can't afford another set *sigh*

that's unfortunate to hear, next time when you're upgrading. Post up a thread asking for suggestions, experience, and opinions first =)

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #1,577 of 1,734
I had my impressions done by an audiologist on Oct. 7th. I ordered C3's on Oct. 9th. Sent impressions by Fed Ex Ground on Oct. 12th and the lab received them on Oct. 13th. I can't wait I have been scanning these boards and the overall consensus seems to be that these are well worth the cost.
I am a musician and will be using these for on-stage monitoring, main instrument is guitar but from time to time I cover bass. I will review from that stand point when I receive them.

Also I live about an hour from the lab so I am interested to see what the turn around is. There was a lab rush placed on the order because I have a gig the first week of November. I read in a few places that one person's turn around was 6 days and another was like 3-4. Interesting.

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #1,578 of 1,734
I wonder what's keep AlienEars selling their Triple driver model, the C3. It's $400, and for $400 you can get a well made pair of dual monitors from a reputable company like JH Audio...but what can i say about the sound. Haven't heard a pair yet.

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #1,579 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder what's keep AlienEars selling their Triple driver model, the C3. It's $400, and for $400 you can get a well made pair of dual monitors from a reputable company like JH Audio...but what can i say about the sound. Haven't heard a pair yet.

Perhaps you should refrain from knocking a product you have never heard for whatever reasons you believe you have.

The build quality of AlienEars is no more or less than those of the FreQs, which is to say, pretty durable. No, they are not the same build quality as the upper tier products, UE11, ES3X or JH13, but that should be expected given the huge price difference.

As for sound, the C3 at $400 isn't too far removed from the UE11, which is on par sound quality wise to the ES3X, with the JH13 marginally better than all. So, for a heck of a lot less money, the C3 offers nearly top tier quality sound. Those that cannot afford to splurge a grand on customs can go with the C3 and be content they are getting a tremendous value.

It is unfortunate to see some people are having trouble with their recent purchases from AlienEars, but I've seen similar threads complaining about UE and the like. By all means take them to task when the service or product is not delivered as promised.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #1,580 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you should refrain from knocking a product you have never heard for whatever reasons you believe you have.

The build quality of AlienEars is no more or less than those of the FreQs, which is to say, pretty durable. No, they are not the same build quality as the upper tier products, UE11, ES3X or JH13, but that should be expected given the huge price difference.

As for sound, the C3 at $400 isn't too far removed from the UE11, which is on par sound quality wise to the ES3X, with the JH13 marginally better than all. So, for a heck of a lot less money, the C3 offers nearly top tier quality sound. Those that cannot afford to splurge a grand on customs can go with the C3 and be content they are getting a tremendous value.

It is unfortunate to see some people are having trouble with their recent purchases from AlienEars, but I've seen similar threads complaining about UE and the like. By all means take them to task when the service or product is not delivered as promised.

It was rather a statement/question rather than a put down. For myself, if i were to spend $400 on a custom monitor. i wouldn't instantly go fo Alienears because it's a triple driver, or because they've been in the business for some time now.

I was literally wondering what keeps AlienEars selling the C3.

As to your comment on the sound, i doubt and disagree until someone that owns both AT the same time, can make that state claiming the C3 is on the same level as the ES3X, UE11 in terms of sound quality.

Oct 25, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #1,581 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stratman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had my impressions done by an audiologist on Oct. 7th. I ordered C3's on Oct. 9th. Sent impressions by Fed Ex Ground on Oct. 12th and the lab received them on Oct. 13th. I can't wait I have been scanning these boards and the overall consensus seems to be that these are well worth the cost.
I am a musician and will be using these for on-stage monitoring, main instrument is guitar but from time to time I cover bass. I will review from that stand point when I receive them.

Also I live about an hour from the lab so I am interested to see what the turn around is. There was a lab rush placed on the order because I have a gig the first week of November. I read in a few places that one person's turn around was 6 days and another was like 3-4. Interesting.

Hey i too am using my C3's for stage monitoring. what are you plugging in to? i'm not sure if i'm ready to spend big on something like shure wireless system cause i'm a drummer and don't need the wireless functionality.

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #1,582 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon3003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still love mine the almost year I've had them, although I have to send them in for repair due to the left mid/high driver not functioning.. I always just thought my hearing was messed up from something.

I hope this goes well.

Just got mine back from repair. Seal isn't as good as before, but I can live with that. At least now I can open my mouth without hearing a popping sound like I used to.

It's strange seeing the quality of the ones going out most recently compared to mine and the original guys who got them early on. Build quality on mine are amazing, so I'm not sure what happened at their lab to cause quality to go down so much.

On a side note, not sure if boomy or the other first orders got this but they sent back a cleaning tool with my monitors which i've been wanting for a while now
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #1,583 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by rayrayvarial /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey i too am using my C3's for stage monitoring. what are you plugging in to? i'm not sure if i'm ready to spend big on something like shure wireless system cause i'm a drummer and don't need the wireless functionality.

I normally have access to Aviom systems for monitoring, which is great because I like setting and adjusting my mix as I prefer rather than someone else. I am looking into a Shure wireless system. My drummer swears by the Shure system and has no issues what so ever.

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #1,584 of 1,734
Just an update to say that I got my C3's today and am quite impressed. The lab got them on the 13th and I got them on the 28th that's 12 days, so within the 7-14 business days for the Lab Rush that was placed on them. Andre' was great to deal with throughout the process, I found him to be very accessible and easy to talk/work with. I will post some pics later as soon as I have more than my phone's camera to take them with.
The build is very solid and the logo turned out pretty good. The only thing that is not 100% is the color of the shells were to be Royal Blue with Silver Sparkles and the Blue is not really a Royal Blue a bit more pale. But the face plate is spot on as it was to be White with the Logo in Royal Blue(I just wish the shell was the same Royal Blue as the Logo). As for fit, they fit like a glove great and I actually got to try them out tonight playing Bass(normally play guitar). I was using an Aviom System and I have to say these puppies did great. Clarity was phenomenal and they definitely handle Bass well. I found that using common in ear monitors(not custom molds) like the Shure SCL5's I have to pan a lot of stuff to hear the separation between instruments. Well with the C3's I really did not have to do that, they naturally had good separation. And I thought the overall sound was relatively flat which is nice for a stage musician. They handled the Mids and Highs well could maybe use a bit more Mid(but I plan to get a UE cable as many on here say that this helps out the Highs and Mids).
The one thing I am going to watch over the next few days of playing is that in the left Ear I may have heard a bit of High End distortion once or twice but like I said this is something I will watch to see if it is persistent. And I don't run them hot so I know I was not creating that....we shall see.
But all in all I am certainly pleased so far.

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #1,585 of 1,734
I had to send my monitors back because i had some problems with them. They were shipped 10 days ago and the shipping status has not changed and i still have not got them. Has anyone else had this problem before? I live in Australia and i've never waited this long for anything.

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #1,586 of 1,734
I had to send my monitors back because i had some problems with them. They were fixed and shipped back 10 days ago and the USPS shipping status has not changed from Electronic Info Recieved and i still have not got them. Has anyone else had this problem before? I live in Australia and i've never waited this long for anything.

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #1,587 of 1,734
You live in Australia, and it's only been 10 days. I would expect it to take 2-3 weeks for it to get to Australia.

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #1,588 of 1,734
Well, that's normal IMO. Unless your package was sent 'expedited', the status almost never changes. I would expect that it would take more like 10-15 working days for your package to reach you! Don't fret yet
tongue.gif

On another note, I've finally recieved the monitors that I ordered in May. The fit's a bit off still IMO, but I'll live with it. I can't bear the thought of sending it back and forth. Sounds great when they do fit well though!

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #1,589 of 1,734
This is what disappoints me, it takes AlienEars 5 months to get a pair of monitors to someone in Germany...don't you get sad? I would have purchased a pair of AlienEars just for the fun of it, but now....it's rather a no now.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #1,590 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On another note, I've finally recieved the monitors that I ordered in May. The fit's a bit off still IMO, but I'll live with it. I can't bear the thought of sending it back and forth. Sounds great when they do fit well though!

Do they have three drivers in them now? I'm interested because I have some C2s that have three drivers in them
confused_face.gif
. I'm not sure if they really are C2s or C3s, but they say "C2" on them and they certainly don't sound like "bass monsters" that people say the C3s are...

There's more pictures here, as you can see in the second picture they do say "C2" on them:
alienears_c2 pictures by lightbulbjim - Photobucket

Users who are viewing this thread

Back