Hearyourself.com custom IEM discussion thread
Jul 10, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #1,381 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Q /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like my impressions made it to the lab today. Did anyone get a confirmation email when they started production or just a notice when they were done and ready to ship?

I have only received a mail from paypal when they have sent it (with tracking number)

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #1,383 of 1,734
Yes they are compatible

Well. mine came in today!
Lovely fit and no problems with the build fortunately.
The only problem is now they are emitting this crazy pink noise stuff for the next ~50 hours which I just cannot bear!
Full review coming soon-ish

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #1,384 of 1,734
I made a cable out of Mogami balanced lapel mic wire and I though it would round out the SQ. I tried it for several weeks but it just put a "Sennheiser Veil" over them. I switch back to my UE cables and was so happy to hear the clarity and crisp detail I had lost with DIY cable.. I also dug up my SPOFC cable I got off of eBay ( The blue one for UE's) from a seller named Aawan or Awaan?. I put it in a bag in a box because I felt I liked the UE was better but I'm giving it a chance to burn in more and so far it sounds pretty nice. Maybe even a bit richer than the UE but not as dark as the DIY Mogami I made.. You can't tell me that cables don't make a difference. ( well, I won't listen anyway)

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #1,385 of 1,734
My IEMs arrived for repair last Wednesday, and they shipped them out on Thursday. That's impressive. I received them today, and I was initially disappointed because they had a large amount of what is apparently acrylic on them. It looks like an adhesive basically. It turns out that nearly all of it scrapes off with a fingernail except for the part where it is resealed around the faceplate. All in all, they don't look quite so clean any more, because the process to seal them up left a bit of stuff on the insides and around the seam. They basically look like they have had a bit of work done to them. Honestly, if it bothered someone much they are too particular. The only thing that irritates me is the slight cloudiness of the material that scrapes off and appears to coat all around the seam area. They sent a note saying that they upgraded the crossovers, and it's clear that they did because they are much larger than before. They also installed small red filters in the low frequency tubes. The IEM's work and overall I am satisfied, especially with the service. I called inquiring about the filters, and the guy who answers the phone (should know his name by now...) was very helpful. In fact, there hasn't been once occasion where I couldn't reach Alien Ears by phone on the first try. It's difficult to tell what difference the filters and crossovers made because I can't do a blind test of both. The difference, if any, is very small.

Jul 15, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #1,386 of 1,734
anyone has any idea what the turn-around-time for the monitors are these days?
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #1,388 of 1,734
If the threads are any indication, and since the intro of the JH line, the demand for custom IEM's has increased dramatically over the past year. (I got mine in Sept.09, before the recent rush).. Many IEM builders are rushing to keep up with demand while still trying to hold new hiring to a minimum. This makes good business sense but at the same time, errors will increase as builders are feeling the rush.. We have two choices... to start trying to be more patient and allow the builders to pay closer attention to details, or live with the minor flaws that have been popping up over the past several months.This is especially difficult for international customers as shipping back and forth for refitting and repairs can add up fast.

Patiience is definitely NOT one of my virtues, but I was luck enough to get mine back before the mad rush.

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #1,390 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gatto,
My son's had the same problem.. I emailed Andre and he sent me an RMA right away and they fixed them for free. Apparently, I pushed some wax up into them when cleaning but they still did not charge me for the fix..

BTW.. Nice to here from you again..

Thanks a lot for the response, after that I'm positive that I did the exact same thing but I can't even see the wax so I'm sure I got it stuck way in there. I'll send them in just in case it's something else. Is there any way to get very stuck in ear wax out at home? also it's good to hear from you again too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #1,391 of 1,734
I tried warming them with my wife's blow dryer, but didn't want to melt anything so I chickened out and sent them off instead. Danny's are sloid white so I could not see up the tubes as I can with my clear light blue, I remember that your's were pretty dark purple so I guess you can't see to far up the tubes either. I would just send them off for the lab to fix. It did not look as if they opened Danny's up so maybe thay have a trick or two up thier sleeves.

Jul 18, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #1,392 of 1,734
I am thinking of getting a pair, however the only that's holding me back is that these models have been out for quite some time now and i'm wondering if they're planning on making a new model, secondly the wait for them to make it, and thirdly i am already getting customs and not sure if i need another one...

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #1,393 of 1,734
MaoDi,
The Alien Ears / Hearyourself are the best "bang for The Buck" in this price range!!! If you have more funds availlable, the next choice would be the Westone ES3X at around 800-900, then the "New Kid On The Block" (or should I say the old kid on the block come back to show how it's done) would be the new JH13's. I have not had the pleasure but if long time Head-Fi'ers are to be believed, they are incredible.
As for new models, I believe that Alien Ears is now offerring an Ambient model that will let some sound in for a slightly less isolated feel, as well as a new crossover design.

Jul 18, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #1,394 of 1,734
Well after a full burn-in and a few days listening to them.... I LOVE THEM!
That said, the stock cable has gotta go! The entire cable has "memory" and it's so unruly it's impossible to put in the case

UE cable better about that? I know it is recommended for the sound difference, but is the memory on it better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back