Hearyourself.com custom IEM discussion thread
Oct 1, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #16 of 1,734
I have heard good and bad things from the home impression kits but for me, living in Australia, I'm not willing to take the risk. I have called around and the cheapest impressions by an audiologist cost $45AUD for both ears which I don't think is too bad, I have had impressions of my teeth that have cost 5 times that!

Basically, I'd rather invest $45 on making sure my impressions are right than spend that money (not to mention all the time) on shipping the monitors back and forth if they don't fit right. If I lived in the US, I might give it a go but probably not, I know nothing about ears, these people have a university degree in them, it's a no brainer for me really
tongue.gif

Hey boomy, I have a question, which model did you get? Dual or triple driver? Also, what was the packaging like? Did they come with a hard carrying case or anything like that? Any chance of some pics?
L3000.gif

My audiologist friend is in France (cheers for telling me..) until tomorrow so I probably won't be able to order till next week. Interestingly, I just called around audiologists and one of them told me there's a company in queensland who make custom molded shells which they fit Shure drivers INTO, apparently. So they come out looking like custom IEMs but inside is a universal driver embedded permanently so it's like a super custom tip but with none of the advantages of being able to upgrade the monitors
tongue_smile.gif
Just found that quite interesting, thought I'd share..

Oct 1, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #17 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hearyourself.com not only sends you a free ear impression kit, but your email invoice includes complete instructions for doing them yourself ( with the help of a friend). If you have ever put a q-tip in your ear, you have taken the same risk that these impression kits represent. It's very safe and not hard to accomplish. My wife did mine and the hardest part was getting the mixed impression material injected before it set up but they even give you an extra batch of impression material just in case. But as the intructions suggest, if you feel the LEAST BIT UNSURE if you can do it safely then have a local audiologist do it for you for a small fee ($50-$150).

thanks!

I'm not terribly worried about the danger or the way it feels, I went to an audiologist most of my childhood because I had horrible hearing because I spent nearly half of my childhood with double ear infections, surgery, super stupid custom earplugs and junk like that for loud places and pools. fun fun. I'd rather do them myself I was just concerned about accuracy. (and if I can save $50 that would be nice too
k701smile.gif
)

Oct 1, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #18 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this company suggests making your own impressions with their kit, correct me if I'm wrong but everything I've heard suggests that this is a very bad idea

I think that is kind of how FreQ started out too.

But people eventually realized the advantage of getting professional impressions done. (Deeper, better seal etc.) There were also some issues with the material used for the impressions if I am not wrong.

I mean you are already prepared to spend $200-$300 on your customs which have a potential life span of at least 4-5 years, why not on another $50 to make sure they fit the best they possibly can?

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #19 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by doubletaps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that is kind of how FreQ started out too.

But people eventually realized the advantage of getting professional impressions done. (Deeper, better seal etc.) There were also some issues with the material used for the impressions if I am not wrong.

I mean you are already prepared to spend $200-$300 on your customs which have a potential life span of at least 4-5 years, why not on another $50 to make sure they fit the best they possibly can?

Definitely. Experience has shown that you have a much higher chance of a good fit/isolation if you have the impressions professionally done, instead of doing them yourself
wink.gif

Will

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #20 of 1,734
Unless you are completely negligent and cram the cotton stopper up your canal too fast, there really is no harm in using the impression kit. I have used them 4 separate times and each time the result was excellent with no need for any refittings. Custom Shure E500 tip, UE11 and FreQ Show all done with an impression kit.

It is very simple to use the kit. 15 minutes and you are done. If you follow the instructions and insert the cotton stopper slowly, stopping when you start to feel any kind of pressure/pain, you'll be fine. Just remember to use a bite block of some kind. I used a deodorant stick!

Oct 1, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #21 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you are completely negligent and cram the cotton stopper up your canal too fast, there really is no harm in using the impression kit. I have used them 4 separate times and each time the result was excellent with no need for any refittings. Custom Shure E500 tip, UE11 and FreQ Show all done with an impression kit.

It is very simple to use the kit. 15 minutes and you are done. If you follow the instructions and insert the cotton stopper slowly, stopping when you start to feel any kind of pressure/pain, you'll be fine. Just remember to use a bite block of some kind. I used a deodorant stick!

You did open-mouth impressions for all of them (No open-and-close mouth)? (Just wondering, since you got perfect customs in return....)

Oct 1, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #22 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You did open-mouth impressions for all of them (No open-and-close mouth)? (Just wondering, since you got perfect customs in return....)

All open mouth impressions, no need for closed mouth. If you do an open mouth correctly, they should give you an excellent seal regardless.

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #23 of 1,734
I bought the C-3 triple drivers acrylic and if I knew how to attach a pic to this thread I'd show you how cool the light blue/ clear monitors look.

The opinions on do-it-yourself or professional impressions are about 50/50 so it's up to you to decide. Hearyourself sent my original impressions back with the finished monitors so for a couple of years until my ears change, I can use them over and over again. but I would not hesitate for second to do my own impressions again.

The " Open Mouth " Impressions are the most generaly accepted way to do them. They give you a tighter fit and are considered desireable for professional singers who are moving about and opening and closing their mouths rapidly and often.
Closed mouth are suggested for simple audiophile listening at rest. They are supposed to be more comfortable for long periods but I only did open mouth so I cant' attest to any differences.

Oct 2, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #24 of 1,734
Quote:

The " Open Mouth " Impressions are the most generaly accepted way to do them. They give you a tighter fit and are considered desireable for professional singers who are moving about and opening and closing their mouths rapidly and often.
Closed mouth are suggested for simple audiophile listening at rest. They are supposed to be more comfortable for long periods but I only did open mouth so I cant' attest to any differences.

I have had impressions done both ways, and the comfort level is almost identical, with a "tiny" advantage to the close mouth - IF you don't move/open your mouth. The open mouth impressions give me a better fit, specially when moving my mouth (seal is not lost). For my next set of impressions, I will be doing the open mouth again
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #25 of 1,734
Quote:

I bought the C-3 triple drivers acrylic and if I knew how to attach a pic to this thread I'd show you how cool the light blue/ clear monitors look.

If you go to a picture hosting website like tinypic and upload the picture(s), they'll give you a link to the picture. When you're writing a post, click the icon at the top that looks like a little mountain with a yellow background. Then just paste the link in the box that pops up and presto, picture is posted.

I would really like to see some pics of these because I am also considering the C3 pros and I have yet to see any pictures, other than the ones on their website so I'm not 100% convinced that they exist
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #26 of 1,734
Where is their ebay store? I may pick some up if I can use the ebay cash back. Thanks

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #27 of 1,734
Quote:

Originally Posted by Failed Engineer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where is their ebay store? I may pick some up if I can use the ebay cash back. Thanks

Their eBay store is here.

What do you mean eBay cash back...?
confused.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #30 of 1,734
although I'm sad about it I am returning my ATH EW9s, I don't like how they feel at all, they sound so nice but are very uncomfortable. so instead I think I want custom monitors now in place of waiting until january for freq to maybe come back. I'm torn between this company and livewires, any suggestions on which I should get? from what I know livewires only makes acrylic, what are the big differences between acrylic and silicone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back