health issues associated with prolonged headphones use due to EMF pollution?
May 19, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #152 of 192

Quote:
Yup, there's more than one reason I sold my Stax...

To be honest, this is something I don't quite understand. Let me quote a bit from here:

Quote:
Electric fields are created by differences in voltage: the higher the voltage, the stronger will be the resultant field. Magnetic fields are created when electric current flows: the greater the current, the stronger the magnetic field. An electric field will exist even when there is no current flowing. If current does flow, the strength of the magnetic field will vary with power consumption but the electric field strength will be constant.

So power consumption of the headphones would be a good indicator, which led me to some calculation.

Now, in electrostatic phones the DC (bias) voltage is high, resulting in a comparatively strong electric field, but that is static so I kinda doubt it could produce any notable harmful effects. The AC voltage at 100dB is 100V with a peak headphones impedance of 133 kohms at 10 kHz for my Stax SR-303 (I don't know the impedance at lower frequencies, but let's assume it's 10 times lower, so 13.3 kohms). I know that the rated impedance at 10 kHz is the peak impedance from Stax themselves. The approximate current would be 100V / 13,300 ohms, so about 7.5mA, while the power would be 0.75W. Now, at a 75dB average listening level this would translate into ~ 2mW power consumption of the headphone.

The above calculation is an approximation mainly because of the assumed 13.3 kohms average impedance and I have no background in electronics, so please feel free to correct me.  An an indirect confirmation: my Stax SRM-313 amp is class A and gets warm to the touch, so most of its 29W power consumption translates into heat and only a small part becomes music (at maximum volume, that is 350VAC rms). My usual listening level is midway between 9 and 10 o'clock on the volume knob, so much less power is carried by the musical signal.

Now here is what I don't understand. It makes sense to me that the magnetic field (and the current) should actually be lower on the electrostatics than on the dynamics because of their greater efficiency - that is, SPL for a given power consumption (by the headphone). A good part of the electric energy that arrives at a dynamic driver becomes heat that is dissipated by the coil and only some of it is translated into sound, while the heat losses of an electrostatic are much lower, I guess. However, my AKG K501's rated sensitivity is 94 dB / mW, or ~ 4mW at 100 dB which is much much lower power that the Stax 303 phones' above calculated 750mW at 100dB (even if the average impedance of the Stax phones is 100kohms, the resulting 100mW would still be much higher that the AKG's 4mW for a 100dB output). Basically, the Stax' power consumption appears to be in the same ballpark as the K1000s', and this definitely seems wrong.

Something's fishy. What am I missing?

May 19, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #153 of 192
Electrostatic headphones have the possibility of outputting huge amounts of electromagnetic radiation due to being high voltage. I have an ionizer air purifier that shoots emf many feet away lol. Guessing won't work because there's many variables, distance to head generally being the first to consider. If you want to know the actual number, the only way is to get some AC field meter, or one that measures AC and DC separately.

May 19, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #154 of 192
Some time ago I transferred some of Richter Di's interviews to Hydrogenaudio.org to discuss this matter:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=73327

Well we figured Dr.Königs, the founder of Ultrasone, is definitely a man of self-cross-referencing when it comes down to EMF issues on headphones. It could simply be due to the lack of the amount of studies in the field, or maybe he's truly BSing the whole thing..

May 19, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #158 of 192
Well, I suppose my post was too long. Let me summarize:
1. there's high bias (DC) voltage in electrostatics, but I think that generates only a steady electrical field, without the magnetic component, unless I misunderstood the concept of bias voltage in electrostatics, as (I think) there's no current flowing at those 580V. Sorry if I'm saying something stupid
blink.gif
. It is my understanding that a steady field is much less of a problem compared to a variable field and that the higher the frequency of the latter, the greater the risks involved. Am I totally off here?
2. there's a certain amount of current running through the AC (signal) circuitry, resulting in both the electrical and the magnetic components of the field, but neither the voltage (say 10 V as order of magnitude) nor the current are so great after all. What puzzles me is the unlikely conclusion I get from my calculation - underlined in my previous post.

You may be right and electrostatics might output lots of emf, but I can only rely on these numbers as I cannot afford paying a few hundred dollars on a measuring device, at the moment and in the foreseeable future at least.

May 19, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #159 of 192
Emf produced by drivers is wasted energy and hard to predict, it depends on the driver. momomo6789 measured one stax, and it's not anywhere close to the 20mG+ put out by many household appliances.

May 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #160 of 192
re-1 = 35mg at the front plate

ipod + protector = 2.2mg

the wall sockets in my house are all 1-2 mg

lcd screen 4mg

digital camara 1mg

router 2mg ?

this is fun

wish i had amp to test other headphones :frowning2:

May 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #161 of 192
yes, but if you check what Beyer told me we're only interested on the EMF at the ear! and all serious "systems"(as Beyer call them) carry a big metal grill between the driver and your ear.

OTOH, chinese "Superlux" cheapos don't: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/pinkfloyd2007_bucket/DSCF1469.jpg

but Sony/Denon, they all do:

http://s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/Wilashort/Headphones%20y%20Mods/Headphone%20Drivers/DenonAH-D2000DriverFront.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/heildriver/YamahaHP1Drivers.jpg

May 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #162 of 192
I see. Thanks, haloxt, for keeping answering me.

Momomo6789, would you be so kind to disclose how much you measured on the Stax phones? Did you measure approximately at the ear position, i.e. on the inside of the pads? What Stax model was it?

My 303's do have a metal grill between driver and the ear, shouldn't it screen the emf as well?

Thanks!

May 19, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #165 of 192

Quote:
Quote:

I'm afraid this needs more explanations.

1.  I wasn't using them much anymore

2.  I had gotten nervous about the electrical fields near my brain

3.  I needed the money

4.  Why does it matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back