health issues associated with prolonged headphones use due to EMF pollution?
Apr 21, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #136 of 192
So if on low the sensor doesn't go off even when its right up to the earpad than they are OK?
I put the headband like you say but they're still uncomfortable to me. I'll try them again for a few days but I'm leaning to getting something else like perhaps Goldring DR-100 or AKG 700, maybe a Sennheiser, also checking into Schure 440.

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #137 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

QFT

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #138 of 192
I don't know how much emf is needed to trigger the cellsensor, and don't know what you consider safe amount of emf. Headphones are always going to emit some emf because there are holes in the bufferboard.

How are the headband uncomfortable? Pressure on top of the head or on the ears? If on the ears, just stretch the flexible plastic headband, which has a piece of metal in it.

Have fun trying new headphones. If you want to try to find low emission headphones, I suggest you contact the manufacturer and ask them if they have ever tested, or if they could test for you. Would be quite expensive to keep getting headphones the rate you're going.

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #139 of 192
Luckily amazon has been paying for the return shipping.
The headband is just uncomfortable, I tried adjusting it. Its not ultra horrible but why put up with it when there are better choices around?
I was thinking of putting my current music phones, the Sennheiser HD 414 9an old classic) with my TV and buying a better pair without worrying so much about the EMF for music listening. I use headphones a couple hours a night with my TV and since the 414's seem to test fairly low I can use them for that. I only listen to music a few times a week so I've decided not to worry about the EMFs since I can get a really good sounding pair for around $100.
At least that's the plan. I just want to choose one I won't want to return
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #142 of 192
All ultrasone claims is "reduction of up to 98% of other headphones" for their ultra low emission headphones. If you read their papers, they call anything below 2mG "low emission", so imo if their "low emission" (without bufferboard) and "ultra low emission" headphones are below 2mG and .2mG (let's assume 10mG is what they consider "other headphones") respectively, I would not call ultrasone's claim of reduced emf wrong.

Should keep in mind, your cellsensor doesn't specify how sensitive it is. It could be .1mG or 1mG. Only way to find out is to ask cellsensor's manufacturer or to guess yourself by using a meter with an LED display.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #143 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All ultrasone claims is "reduction of up to 98% of other headphones" for their ultra low emission headphones. If you read their papers, they call anything below 2mG "low emission", so imo if their "low emission" (without bufferboard) and "ultra low emission" headphones are below 2mG and .2mG (let's assume 10mG is what they consider "other headphones") respectively, I would not call ultrasone's claim of reduced emf wrong.

Should keep in mind, your cellsensor doesn't specify how sensitive it is. It could be .1mG or 1mG. Only way to find out is to ask cellsensor's manufacturer or to guess yourself by using a meter with an LED display.

I pretty much just wanted it to stay out of the hotzone

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #144 of 192
My bad, your cellsensor actually has a display. How high does it go when measuring from the earpad? I'm guessing by hotzone you mean 2mG or higher, are you really measuring that much with the Zino?

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #146 of 192
Beyer have always been lousy at communication(all those phones w/ the exact same model number
rolleyes.gif
), but that's what the Beyer's Pro Headphones Product Manager just told me:
Quote:

I’ve just been talking about it with our R&D department and recommended by the EU is a limit-value of 40mT (12.07.1999 – 1999/519/EG) fully (!) onto the ear and also in a 2007 lecture they are still working with the same value: 40mT (AT the ear!). The Tesla Technologie has WAY less than 40mT.

1 Tesla is INSIDE the headphone system, there is a BIG difference between the magnetic field at the ear and within the system.

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #147 of 192
You should ask for the EMF not the static magnetic field, at a distance where the ear should be and at normal listening volume. Limits on SMF are based almost entirely upon precaution, I haven't seen the newer studies but from what I know it's not something we have to worry about, and it's not like we're exposed to strong SMF all the time like we are to emf/rfi, unless you happen to always wear a dozen golf magnet bracelets.

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #148 of 192
well, go ahead, Peter's always very prompt to answer questions asked through the german beyer site contact form
smily_headphones1.gif

anyway, having second thoughts, the cd3k drivers are behind a big metal grill...so I ain't too worried
evil_smiley.gif

May 6, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #149 of 192
Yup, there's more than one reason I sold my Stax...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back