Headwize reopening!
Jul 12, 2001 at 1:27 AM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Yes, having two boards that are exactly the same is redundant.
// Enter Highlander mode
There can be only one... I propose a duel!
eek.gif

// Exit Highlander mode

// Enter Michael Buffer mode
In the red corner, the fresh, hungry newcomer w/ plenty of room to grow, jjjuuuuuuuuuuddde! In the blue corner, the savvy, grizzled veteran, cccccccccmmmmmmmmmoooooyyy! Ladies and Gentlemen... LET'S GET READY TO RUMMMMBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLEEE!
// Exit Michael Buffer mode

biggrin.gif

I was going to sit around quietly while you all discussed the topic amongst yourselves, but it occurred to me that some of you might think Head-Fi’s purpose is to compete. I know dhwilkin was joking -- and I know it was all in fun -- but I do want to make clear to anyone thinking that Head-Fi is intended to be a competitor to HeadWize that this is not the case. I will also visit and post on HeadWize.

I put Head-Fi up because I'm not ready to not interact with you fellow headphoners for more than a day! Even on business trips, I have to take time out after a long day to stop in and see how everyone is doing (it's one of the things that helps keep me sane -- a hobby, a passion). That's why Head-Fi was started -- not to compete with HeadWize. I need to know that there will always be a place for us to meet and that I know I can make sure will always be here.

Some of you are discussing merging the sites. It sounds simple in concept, but there really is a lot more involved. Chu and I have spoken privately about things, and maybe we'll discuss things going forward, but, for now, the two will exist separately and simultaneously (don't ask me for any details of the conversation, as, again, it was private).

One of you even referred to having two forums as a potential splitting up of the community, but that's so not the case -- we’re not talkin’ the Crips and Bloods here.
wink.gif

I think both sites will continue to evolve in unique ways, and offer unique differences for the headphone hi-fi enthusiast community.

Chu's not doing this for a living, and neither am I. I think both of us just want to make sure that there's at least one meeting place that can continue to grow and accept new members, growth unchecked. For those of you who'll continue to visit both, I'll see you at both places. For those who don't intend to come back at all, I'll see you at HeadWize.

Jul 12, 2001 at 1:54 AM Post #17 of 39
Thank you, jude for the info. I'm glad that both sites will be available. My hope is that each will develop a personality and a purpose of its own........what that is remains to be seen. But it will be fun being part of both as they grow and develop.
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2001 at 3:02 AM Post #18 of 39
On second thought - i just can't give up the wonderful interface of head-fi, so......
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2001 at 4:10 AM Post #19 of 39
More is better!

Regards - reynman

Jul 12, 2001 at 5:15 AM Post #20 of 39
. Quote:

jude said...

I know dhwilkin was joking -- and I know it was all in fun -- but I do want to make clear to anyone thinking that Head-Fi is intended to be a competitor to HeadWize that this is not the case.

Right! As anyone in computer science should know, redundancy of backend information is usually a good thing. I thought my joke was perfectly obvious... maybe not? Oh well, despite the increase in time checking on both sites, having both sites co-exist is definitely beneficial.

Jul 12, 2001 at 5:29 AM Post #21 of 39
Well.... we are now 1 hour and 30 minutes into the 12th of July. I guess Chu didn't mean that Headwize was reopening on the stroke of 12. Of course he may not live in my time zone. Thanks to the World Wide Web (and the rest of this newfangled "internet" fad) time zones seem to confuse more than they help us. I vote we get rid of them!! Everywhere should be run on GMT!! Anyone with me?

hmmm.. time zones aren't a democracy either I don't think... darn darn darn. I'm just a wacky Canadian trying to live the American Dream. We should vote on everything.... argh...

maybe i should get some sleep.. yess.s... sleep...

Jul 12, 2001 at 5:31 AM Post #22 of 39
Well, I have to disagree with Jude and Neruda here.

If the purpose of Head-Fi is to be a "backup" for HeadWize (as Neruda alluded to), then make Head-Fi read-only once HeadWize goes back up. If anything goes wrong with HeadWize, we'll always have this one.

But as for the idea of having both -- it's going to weaken both. If I have a review, where will I post it? What if I have a question? Do I post it in both places, since some people will stick with one, and others with the other?

As a reader, I'll have to visit two forums instead of one. One of the reason I don't visit AudioAsylum or any of those other forums is because I only have time to regularly keep up with one, and that has been HeadWize/Fi.

I really think that having two forums is a bad idea, from a "community" point of view -- the close-knit community of people we've established at HeadWize, and now here, just won't be as close-knit if both forums are up and doing similar things.

If there is no way Jude and cmoy can work something out to combine the two and use the other as a backup, then maybe you two can figure out some way to clearly delineate the topic areas (reviews on one site, discussion on the other; DIY on one, non-DIY on the other; etc.).

Just food for thought.

Jul 12, 2001 at 5:34 AM Post #23 of 39
I find it incredible that such a relatively small community with an uncommon passion for such an obscure corner of the audio hobby ....... has been fortunate enough to have not one, but two highly competent and dedicated individuals with the desire and capabilities to put togther two of the better sites on the entire net.

We're a lucky bunch to have both Chu and Jude as benefactors.

Personally, I could never "chose" between the two sites, so despite a little redundancy and additional time involved, I intend to frequent both and see where the future takes us.

Jul 12, 2001 at 5:36 AM Post #24 of 39
ah, don't worry gorgon. As any true American knows, the American dream is dead. All we care about now is getting even larger SUV's that have no purpose whatsoever (on or off road) and have way more power than we'll ever need, and...umm...huh, there was one more thing...oh well. it's dead.
smily_headphones1.gif

MacDEF, the thing is, Chu and Jude both have different ideas for their forums. I think we should at least try to have both and see where both go. I'm sure these problems will work themselves out. This is a great community; nothing's going to weaken it!

Jul 12, 2001 at 9:58 AM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Well, I have to disagree with Jude and Neruda here.

If the purpose of Head-Fi is to be a "backup" for HeadWize (as Neruda alluded to), then make Head-Fi read-only once HeadWize goes back up. If anything goes wrong with HeadWize, we'll always have this one......

Of course, Neruda is entitled to his opinion, but I don't believe I've ever said this place is intended to be a backup. It's built to grow. And it won't be read-only once HeadWize is back up. I think it's time for some frank, open discussion about why I don't consider it simply a backup.

When HeadWize first went down, I started suffering from withdrawal. Like many of you, I was checking it constantly, and it became (however geeky or sad it may seem to some) an important part of my daily socializing. I remember before Chu took it down, he had explained to us his costs were escalating, and there was much discussion about that. Ideas were being exchanged by members about alternatives -- things we could do to help shrink bandwidth utilization, etc. If I remember correctly, some suggestions included (and it was just people coming up with ideas off the top of their head) evening-only access; every-other-day access; not checking for new posts too frequently; limiting signups; etc. Of course, I don't think any of those options seemed attractive to any of us (again, I know they were just ideas put out there by some members for the sake of discussion). And then Chu finally had to take it down because of the bandwidth overuse penalties he was charged by his ISP. Alternatives sprouted up: there was the headphone_folks Yahoo/eGroups group I started a long time ago (during one of the Spring HeadWize software upgrade take-downs); and another one on CoolBoards. Neither of these alternative options was very satisfactory. As a frequent HeadWize poster/reader, the downtime was downright painful. I kept in touch with several members via ICQ, and we were all pretty much freaking out, like addicts needing a real fix.

I think I went back to the HeadWize forums home page URL a bazillion times, just waiting for it to pop back up. Well the message went from stating it'd be down a few days, to one that indicated the outage was of an undetermined length. Okay, now I was really freaking out.

I wrote Chu (I will not discuss any of our discussions specifically) to offer assistance -- to see if there was any way that, based on whatever expertise I have based on my line of work, that I might be able to help him keep the forums up. We had friendly e-mail exchange/discussion. We reached no conclusions.

I think it was day three or four of the outage, and still not knowing when we'd be back online with HeadWize, the idea of starting a place of permanence came to mind. Here are the considerations I had, and how and why we put Head-Fi up:
  1. The HeadWize forum had grown significantly since I had joined in November, in terms of membership and activity.
  2. The likelihood that the growth rate would continue to rise seemed very likely to me, as headphone hi-fi is so easy to fall in love with, and relatively affordable to adopt.
  3. The demands of the forum would obviously also grow. The forum would need to be able to scale to meet that growth, if.…..
  4. ....as I believe, a forum should be able to grow relatively unchecked. It is part of the magic of the community that new members can continue to join, new viewpoints can thus be shared, and more of the discussions we find so interesting could also blossom.
  5. To allow a forum to grow unchecked would require serious growth planning.
  6. On June 18, I received an e-mail from Audio Asylum (likely the Web's biggest audiophile forum) titled “Audio Asylum: Status Update” that they sent to their members. Discussing Audio Asylum’s growing needs, the following was said in their e-mail:
    Quote:

Last year, we added a new server. This year, we're adding another bigger, badder, faster Dell 2450 server to support both anticipated growth and a new more powerful search engine. (A personal thank to Ted Smith is in order for his donation of the software to power this new server.)

We're also been blessed in the past with low cost high bandwidth connections for our server. Due to our tremendous growth and huge bandwidth consumption(currently about 60% of a T1), these options are no longer available to us. To solve this problem and ensure high performance for the future, we've contracted with NextLevel Internet for a dedicated T1 to a new Asylum data center. This connection will put us one hop from Level 3's extensive internet backbone and we expect it will significantly improve performance. The downside is that it will equally significantly raise our monthly operational costs.

The new T1 service is scheduled to be installed by July 1st. Shortly thereafter, we will be moving the Asylum servers to this new data center. We'll update you via the General Asylum when this takes place. The move should be uneventful; however, you can expect a short interruption of availability and you may temporarily lose a few visited links. This is unavoidable. We'll endeavor to make this painless and with luck, you won't notice a thing except that the Asylum will be faster than ever.

Rolling blackouts in California are one concern with this move. We hope this will not be a problem, but to ensure against this possibility, we do plan to acquire battery backup systems as finances allow to keep the primary servers online for at least an hour in the event of a power outage.

7. That e-mail from Audio Asylum was a key impetus behind the idea of Head-Fi. We too are a growing community, hungry for continued socialization with one another. Our demands are growing, and I honestly feel that a forum for headphone hi-fi and portable audio enthusiasts (who obviously depend on headphones for their listening) will eventually (and probably not too far off if left relatively unchecked) reach the kind of demands that Audio Asylum is currently facing. If allowed to grow beyond that, then the needs will grow too.
  8. The day after receiving that e-mail from Audio Asylum I decided to commit to a permanent forum that would be purpose-built to accommodate rapid and sustained growth -- growth unchecked. And when I say “commit,” that’s exactly what it is -- a commitment. Setup would be too costly to do it as a temporary forum like our Yahoo eGroup headphone_folks or CoolBoards. I was pretty much ready to pull my hair out by then (as I’m sure any of my ICQ HeadWize contacts remember, as they were also starting to go into withdrawal). That day, after work, I gathered a couple of the programmers/developers at my company, who had also become headphone hi-fi enthusiasts, to ask for their extracurricular assistance in planning the possibility of putting up a permanent forum with future growth as a very key consideration
  9. The next afternoon (June 20th) we acquired a license for the forum software, decided what hardware we had that we could put it on, allocated bandwidth, registered the domains, did the necessary programming and configuration, and then put it up. I asked my ICQ mates to visit it, and they helped me tweak it. They then spread the word to the rest of the community (or at least to those they had contact info for), and that’s how and why Head-Fi started.

Almost immediately after we put it up, Chu and I reestablished contact via e-mail and then via telephone to discuss the best way to go about (A) working together, (B) getting the forums back up, (C) keeping them up, and (D) preparing it for growth. Again, it was a friendly conversation, but we didn’t come to any firm decisions or conclusions on how exactly to go about this.

And nearly one month later, this is where we are now.

What are the likely realities that we’re faced with going forward? Growth. Alexa rankings showed HeadWize catching up to Audio Asylum -- HeadWize is Alexa rank #6415 and Audio Asylum is Alexa rank #5974. Will a forum for the headphone hi-fi community eventually require -- as Audio Asylum does -- its own dedicated T-1? Yes, probably. Will a forum for the headphone hi-fi community eventually require significant server and storage upgrades? Yes, probably. In order to keep the forums free for the members, yet pay for all the above stuff as it grows, autonomy is needed to do what is necessary to keep the costs covered. User donations? Maybe. To count on member donations to support the site as it grows the way Audio Asylum does might be tough, since our members appear to be, on average, quite a bit younger than Audio Asylum’s members. How about corporate sponsors (in at least somewhat the same vein as Audio Asylum’s approach)? Yes, probably -- and it has to be done in a manner that doesn’t betray the community’s demand for honesty, integrity, and objectivity (again, Audio Asylum is a good model in this regard). Banner ads? No, very unlikely -- their effectiveness makes them almost worthless to advertisers anyway. Other ways? Innovative marketplace ideas that I’ve discussed with a couple of the members that should also help offset costs. Again, it’ll take planning (already well in progress). And I cannot continue to incur the costs alone for too long, especially as the needs and expenses grow -- especially not without the autonomy to ensure that the community meeting place(s) stay funded while keeping it free for the members. MacDEF’s suggestion of making Head-Fi read-only when HeadWize goes back up later today would pretty much eliminate any possibility of keeping growth funded. It’s something that might seem like a good idea in some sense, until you’re the one who incurs the costs, and so realize it’s not a practical option. To make Head-Fi read-only means we may as well shut it down, and I’m not prepared to do that unless I know that we as a community have a meeting place that is pretty darned permanent for as long as we want it to be, and can grow as needed.

Quote:

I really think that having two forums is a bad idea, from a "community" point of view -- the close-knit community of people we've established at HeadWize, and now here, just won't be as close-knit if both forums are up and doing similar things.

I don’t agree with this statement at all. If, for example, HeadWize does shut down again, would you eschew the two-community concept then? I would think the community would be even less close-knit if there was no permanent option going forward. And as I’ve stated before, HeadWize and Head-Fi will likely evolve in at least slightly different directions. I can’t see any reason why having two communities in uncertain times has to be at all divisive.

Quote:

.......If there is no way Jude and cmoy can work something out to combine the two and use the other as a backup, then maybe you two can figure out some way to clearly delineate the topic areas (reviews on one site, discussion on the other; DIY on one, non-DIY on the other; etc.).

This to me is a better, more practical suggestion. However, I don’t want to say much about it without discussing it privately with Chu first.

I’ll end this by saying again that this shouldn’t be viewed as two competitors slugging it out. I do not view Chu as a competitor at all. I view us as two headphone geeks trying our best to make sure we always have a place to go. And we’ll likely move in slightly different directions to get there, and may work together on some things too.

Nothing in this entire post should be construed as a criticism -- not even in the least -- of Chu and everything Chu has done. He is the catalyst behind the formation of this headphone hi-fi community I enjoy so very much. I don't know, though, if he ever realized just how big it would get. It's big, it's getting BIGGER, and it's on its way to becoming downright [size=small]HUGE[/size].

At the end of the day, I just want to know I can always check in somewhere to see what everyone’s up to (and for me, that’s several times every single day).

Jul 12, 2001 at 12:23 PM Post #26 of 39
I appreciate Jude's thought w/ the insight associated w/ his line of business.

In eBiz (eHobby this case), content and infrastructure are inseparable twins. The natural selection process will decide the fate of the two sites. On the other hand, I (along w/ most Headwizer/fiers) don't want to see any two being unsuccessful, for it's unfair to those put passion into building and nurturing headphone communities, esp. Chu and Jude.

I agree w/ Jude that we should let the evolving process continue to unfold. To some extend, however. During the period, please please continue conversations w/ the future. Hopefully, we can forge a protocol for the successful coexistance/merger.

Jul 12, 2001 at 12:27 PM Post #28 of 39
I just visited the HeadWize homepage, and the re-opening date for the forums has been delayed again, to July 14 (7/14)...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back