Headwize reopening!
Jul 12, 2001 at 4:09 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

argh! I don't have time to scour 2 message boards a day!! I vote that they merge.. webmasters unite!

gorgon_123 has said it first in this thread, and I am afraid he is right. More than anything else this will be a practicality issue, for me at least. Sure there is withdrawal if there isn't any site (once again: thanks to jude and all the others!), but checking two different ones? I don't see how I can keep luring people into the Beyerdynamic camp if I have to battle on two fronts.
biggrin.gif
And remember: Evolution can be very cruel - slowly becoming extinct isn't funny. I think competition would be inevitable and not necessarily fruitful. Of course, this is for jude and Chu to decide, but I would be very glad to see some form of co-operation. MacDEF's idea about delineating topics might work. Anyway, I want my sounds sweet and my life simple. I am with gorgon.

Jul 12, 2001 at 4:38 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
I just visited the HeadWize homepage, and the re-opening date for the forums has been delayed again, to July 14 (7/14)...
frown.gif

Hehe, I like how he just edited the entry for July 9th instead of making a new post about the delay. That's something straight out of "1984."

"What do you mean the forums were supposed to re-open July 12th? I said three days ago that they'll be open on the 14th. In fact, that's ahead of the original schedule! You should be happy."

Just kidding Chu, I know you're working as hard as you can to reopen the site. Thought I'd add a little humor to stress. Keep up the good work, cmoy and jude.

Jul 12, 2001 at 7:08 PM Post #33 of 39
>MacDEF's suggestion of making Head-Fi read-only when HeadWize goes
>back up later today would pretty much eliminate any possibility of
>keeping growth funded.

Just to clarify, that was only a suggestion of one way we could concentrate all new postings on one forum, so that users wouldn't have to read two different forums. It wasn't an endorsement of one over the other
wink.gif

>I don't agree with this statement at all. If, for example, HeadWize
>does shut down again, would you eschew the two-community concept
>then?

The problem here is not HeadWize vs. Head-Fi. My opinion is simply that if both forums are open, both discussing the same topics, there are going to be some people who don't have time, or just don't want to bother, visiting both. So whereas now we have one large community, it will be split with two forums. There's no denying that. If there is a chance that HeadWize will have to shut down again because of bandwidth problems, then I really think HeadWize should be dedicated to reviews/DIY/etc., and keep the community discussions here.

>I'll end this by saying again that this shouldn't be viewed as two
>competitors slugging it out. I do not view Chu as a competitor at
>all. I view us as two headphone geeks trying our best to make sure we
>always have a place to go. And we'll likely move in slightly
>different directions to get there, and may work together on some
>things too.

Again, to be clear, I wasn't suggesting in any way that there is a competition here. I'm just looking at the reality of the situation: with two forums, there will be some degree of split, since not everyone will read both.

Jul 12, 2001 at 10:01 PM Post #34 of 39
Jude,

Very well put! Thanks for all your hard work!

Regards - reynman

Jul 12, 2001 at 11:49 PM Post #35 of 39
I for one, will definetly keep visiting both forums...

My own view on this... with two sites, there is twice as much chance of new people coming along, and asking questions, posting observations etc. At the end of the day, without new peoples input / questions, there will be no real need for EITHER forum... after all, within the bounds of realism there are only so many 'phones that we can have... and once we all acheive that, well... thats it, no need for either forum, because we will all be in audio bliss one way or the other

So, Yes, to a certain extent, after a certain period of time there will essentially be two seperate forums, with Newbie "A" at HeadWize, and Newbie "B" at Head-Fi, but... isn't that the same with everything? In your quest for something on the internet, do you really only look at the first site you come to, and not AT ALL get curious about what the next site on the search engine has to offer?

My hat comes off to both CMoy and Jude... without either of these sites, I'd still be quite niave on just how good "personal" hi-fi sounds
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2001 at 5:24 AM Post #37 of 39
Altho I do not like the redundancy of visiting 2 identical forums with just about the same members make up.

I will try to survive and visit both till some evolving process starts.

Now I just have to double post my stuff in both forums
smily_headphones1.gif
What a nice way to increase post count with identical posts and NOT have to hear about it ! lol~! :p
( I have a feeling the de ja vu of seeing same threads in both forum will be quite normal
wink.gif
)

I do have to mention that I have always perferred Vb over ubb. ( the ugo.com place I help to run is too cheap to go VB *sigh* cheapo bastards
mad.gif
)

Tides

Jul 18, 2001 at 4:55 AM Post #39 of 39
From Headwize :

Quote:

7/17/2001: I debated whether to post another update about the forum status, since all of the previous forum opening dates have been wrong. Despite my loss of credibility, the latest estimated forum open date is 7/20/2001. The software update is mostly finished, but I want to fine-tune a bit more. (BTW, I do have a regular job, so I cannot devote all of my time to this site.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back