Headstage Arrow HE: Reviews, Impressions, Perceptions & Sensations
Apr 20, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #2,296 of 4,123
I agree, the Arrow's bass-boost is much cleaner and non-intrusive. In comparison FiiO E5 bass boost is really bad. That's good info to help people deciding about getting and Arrow (but not a fair battle, the Arrow is *a lot* more expensive).

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #2,297 of 4,123
I was mostly comparing it to the E11 but yes, it is extremely unfair. They are more than $200 apart. I was just pleasantly surprised by the dramatic difference in the quality of these two amps. With the E11, I pretty much never use the Bass Boost at all. The distortion it creates on all ranges pretty much makes it unusable. I had no idea what to expect with the Arrow but its bass boost is so natural I just couldn't help mentioning this.

Its really strange, I find myself leaving both treble and bass boost on at level 2 for most of my listening now. Seems like overkill but it honestly makes the music sound much more... musical? Maybe I really love turning my Grados more towards a V signature. 

Strangely enough, I find the bass boost not enough for my UM3x. I really want more bass... am I a bass head? Maybe I need an Ultrasone Pro 900 soon.

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #2,298 of 4,123
I like the level 1 bass boost enabled for my "woodyfied" Grado 225i, but disabled with the Senns HD650. Even with the Phonak PFE I find it best with the bass boost disabled. PFE with grey filters have a nice punchy bass when connected to the Arrow. It was a big surprise finding this out, they seem to fit very well with the amp.

On the other hand, I understand what you mean about the treble boost: I like it enabled with the HD650 and sometimes even with the PFE. Grados usually are too harsh for my ears so I appreciate the smooth treble of the Arrow to make them more relaxing.

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #2,299 of 4,123
Today I finally tested how "powerful" this amp is... I drove an HD800 at my local store with this thing.

Lets just say on the lowest gain setting, you will have no trouble achieving ear splitting volumes... I don't know if the HD800 has a higher impedance than the HD650 but I would certainly assume so. Very impressed!

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #2,300 of 4,123

Arrived today - obligatory photos ....... click for larger images

Compared to a touch G4 (without case)

And velcroed to the Touch with low profile LOD and SE535 LE.

I'm going to switch the velcro out for  double sided tape I think - so it is even more slim.  After initial trials I doubt I'll be removing it from the Touch anyway - it really sounds amazing.  Very clean, very dynamic.

Their is an imbalance at the very bottom of the pot - and with my SE535 LE being very sensitive, it 'just' comes into play for really low volume.  However for my normal listening (so far) I narrowly avoid the imbalance - I have very slight hearing loss (and permanent low level tinnitus) from my younger days - so this may be a factor for me personally.  Fortunately I also have a volume attenuator that I can use to avoid the imbalance if I desire, and I may use this as well.

I've also tried the Arrow with my 325i (woodied), HD600, and Beyer DT880 (600 ohm).  It drives all of them quite admirably - and I LOVE the pairing with all of the full sized cans.

Will comment more as I get better used to it.

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #2,301 of 4,123
Nice impressions.. I've had the 3G for quite some time & more recently got an HD580 (300 ohm).. these lovely Senn phones absolutely SING when paired with the Arrow.  The lowest gain setting drives them plenty loud with the pot turned up a little over 60%.  They sound very clean, trasparent, and neutral.

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #2,302 of 4,123
I think that's why my initial impressions have been so positive 
biggrin.gif

Really clean and transparent - and enough power to let the headphones voice their own sonic signatures.  The Beyers really surprised me - the dynamics are almost as good as the NFB-12 - I didn't expect that!

Not sure about the crossfeed yet - it is very subtle - will have to try it on a couple of recordings I have which are very 'stereo'.  I like the bass boost - not so sure about the treble boost, but then again, none of my headphones are really dark.

I think I will enjoy getting used to this - but safe to say my search for the ideal portable amp (for my needs) is over.

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #2,303 of 4,123
Solved the possibility of imbalance issues with my set-up (with the SE535 LE).

Using the Equaliser app, dropped the preamp down a bit, allowing me to turn the volume up slightly (thus avoiding any imbalance).

Works perfectly :)

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #2,305 of 4,123

Quote:
I jumped on a 6% home mortgage rate cuz it was the lowest I'd seen. That was 10 years ago and the rate has not been higher since.

I waited 7 months for my Arrow. Now I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop (so to speak) and Robert announce that Walmart bought his amp design and will sell Arrow 4Gs for a dollar a piece (placing them along side the gum at the checkout isle).

Just kidding....I think.

Robert has put far too much time, money and energy into this design to sell it to anyone.

Apr 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #2,306 of 4,123
hi guys
I'm just curios about this,
what is the point of using treble or ... other switch? isn't an equalizer app good enough to do so?
also want to know that how much a good equalizer app can improve the sound quality of a headphone that hasn't a flat frequency response?
(sorry for my English)

Apr 23, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #2,307 of 4,123

Quote:
hi guys
I'm just curios about this,
what is the point of using treble or ... other switch? isn't an equalizer app good enough to do so?
also want to know that how much a good equalizer app can improve the sound quality of a headphone that hasn't a flat frequency response?
(sorry for my English)

Hardware circuits tend to sound better than software circuits. At least this has been my experience.

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #2,308 of 4,123
My 3G developed a bit of a crackle on the line in socket. Robert kindly replaced it with a shiny new 4G which arrived a couple of days ago.

After listening to my I-Phone 4 on its own for 3 weeks it was a joy to get amped once more.

I find it very difficult to pick out the differences between the 3G and 4G after a 3 week gap. Are the same amp chips etc fitted ?? Sounds a bit cleaner and more detailed to my old ears. Not sure about the " valve like sound" that has been reported though. The Arrow was always a bit on the warm side.

I was a bit concerned that the treble switch would be a step backwards. I have been fiddling with the switch settings and am presently listening to OTT Skylon with Gain @ 1, Bass @ 2, Treble @ 1 and the X-feed off. The treble seemd to add a bit of sparkle and clarity.

Another winner from Robert. The sound quality combined with the sleek lightweight design and great battery life makes this amp hard to beat.

Gaz

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #2,309 of 4,123

Quote:
Are the same amp chips etc fitted ??

Can't really say, you should ask Robert.  
wink.gif

Sounds a bit cleaner and more detailed to my old ears. 

Your ears are fine apparently.

I was a bit concerned that the treble switch would be a step backwards.... The treble seemd to add a bit of sparkle and clarity.

Yup.  He did a great job w/ the treble switch.  Hits just the right spot.

Another winner from Robert. The sound quality combined with the sleek lightweight design and great battery life makes this amp hard to beat.

Agreed.  The performance, features and packaging are unrivaled.  The only thing some would want might be a digital pot which may or may not be in the works at some point.

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #2,310 of 4,123

Quote:
Agreed.  The performance, features and packaging are unrivaled.  The only thing some would want might be a digital pot which may or may not be in the works at some point.

Totally agree!  Other than the very low volume channel imbalance, I can't fault the Arrow - and IMO it's absolutely worth it's price tag.

For anyone wanting to use really sensitive IEMs with an Arrow and iTouch/Iphone 4 - grab the Equaliser app (it's a lot better now), drop the preamp down, and this avoids any imbalance.  So glad I bit the bullet and purchased the Arrow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back