reproducing the good and bad (mostly good) in my source signal, 
as realized by the phones I have.

My vague threat to return it wouldn't be because of any failing
of the Arrow as an amplifier. Rather, I don't intend to upgrade
the signal source, so the Arrow is superfluous in this setup with
neutral settings. But I was as interested in the EQ, crossfeed,
power mangement, and dual output as I was the gain structure. So
I am of course keeping it!

Good choice. While I agree with everything you have said about it being transparent, once you spend an extended amount of time with the various settings you will have a tough time going back without them. Especially if you find a combo you really like. This thing is built to last IMO (I hope at least) and you never know what the future holds. You may one day change your mind about changing your source. Add on top the fact they are hard to get your hands on and hold a good value. I think I will pass mine down to my son in 17 years lol.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #2,268 of 4,123
I jumped on a 6% home mortgage rate cuz it was the lowest I'd seen. That was 10 years ago and the rate has not been higher since.

I waited 7 months for my Arrow. Now I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop (so to speak) and Robert announce that Walmart bought his amp design and will sell Arrow 4Gs for a dollar a piece (placing them along side the gum at the checkout isle).

Just kidding....I think.

Feb 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #2,269 of 4,123
Finding the perfect balance for a particular pair of IEMs is one of the best things about this amp. I have a pair of miracles that I sometimes find lacking in bass qty. Likewise, My re-272s sometimes need more juice than regular earphones. The ability to tweak particular elements in the sound signature on a pair of earphones that are otherwise flawless to you makes this amp irreplaceable. Because it doesn't color the sound, you can retain the original sound of the IEMs while still making modifications to the sound. Pretty ******* impressive when you consider the fact that it is not much thicker than an ipod touch and sits almost flush with it. That way, you're not carrying setups that look like miniature I.E.Ds through airport security.

EDIT: Gave the amp a good 40-50 hrs for an initial burn in, and any elements of "harshness" have disappeared. The amp is smooth, and very lively. The sound does not get colored when keeping the amp at a 0 setting on all the eq knobs. The guitar distortions are a lot improved on my Miracles and sound very gritty. Bass goes deeper and hits harder. If you use the bass control switch, it transitions smoothly over the three settings without distortion, even on the heaviest-on-bass-tracks. Personally, I prefer the I setting. Treble has a very nice detail, but not to the point of being exhaustive from being too noticeable. If you love treble, the II second should be more than enough to satisfy you (even then, it doesn't overwhelm the rest of the frequency). I like having a little more than normal amount of treble and the 0 setting kept me satisfied. Tracks recorded live have a distinct "3D" quality to them and if you close your eyes, you can visualize the band in front of you, the instruments in their own separate orientations.

Anyone have any info on how many hours the battery is supposed to last on a charge?

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #2,270 of 4,123

Quote:

Anyone have any info on how many hours the battery is supposed to last on a charge?

I use my Arrow 2G at work for 5-6hrs daily and it can last up to 2weeks. Assuming a 5-day work week and i don't use them at all on the weekends, that's up to 50hrs battery life. This is just a rough calculation of course.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #2,271 of 4,123
Well, 152 pages and the only thing folks seem to not like about this amp is the wait to get one. Placed my order today, let the wait begin. Thankfully I'm in Afghanistan so there is plenty to keep my mind off the wait.....then I get to wait for it to make it from my home to here.....sighhhhhhhh, one more thing to look forward to.

Thanks to all for their comments here, this sight has helped me make informed decisions about my gear and what I have gotten so far has exceeded my expectations. My M50's have been great for practicing my guitar and the Shure 535's have served me well here in the sandbox. Looking forward to more sonic bliss in my off time here.:)

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #2,273 of 4,123
On 06.02.2012 i have received my arrow 4 g , after long wating time exactly 5 month since 06.09.2011.

My First comparison arrow 3 G vs Arrow 4 G

Source : Iphone 4 S

DAC : Fostex Hp !

Amp : Arrow 3 G and Arrow 4 G

Iem : AKG K 3003 , JH 16 PRO, SM3 V 2, UM 3 X , Shure SE 535 LE Red Color for Asia.

Headphone : LCD 2 Rev 2 , LCD 3 , HD 800 , T 1 , ATH W 1000 X , HD 650 , New bagde Grado MS 2 I 

Cable : Mini to Lod Whiplash Elite Twag II
           Mini to Lod Van Den Hul Tone Arm Cable DIY

Music : Jazz ,  Blues, Audiophile Songs , Classical Music

Format : WAV

Setting : all in Zero Position

Sound Quality :

High : my Arrow 4 G more extended and Clean high compare my Arrow 3 G

Mid : my Arrow 4 G more Sweet , Lush and forward compare to my Arrow 3 G

Bass : My Arrow 3 G Bass Impact is better , but my Arrow 4 G The Bass Quality is better and Clean

Separation : My Arrow 4 G has Better separation compare to my Arrow 3 G

SoundStage : My Arrow 4 G has better wide Soundstage and layering in the Depth compare my Arrow 3 G.  

Overall : The Sound Quality from my Arrow 4 G is better tha my Arrow 3 G, more detail and Music separation also better, that i can feel the

The Sanger in Front from the Stage , follow by Instrument and The Drum / Bass at last .

The Arrow 4 G is very good for all rounder Portable Iem and Cans 

Note : For better Sound Quality i added Fostex HP 1 as DAC for my Iphone 4 S.

This is my Personal impression.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #2,275 of 4,123
Code:
^ Thanks for the impressions.  Would you mind commenting on bass and treble boost?  Also how does transparency compare between the 2 models?

The Arrow 4 G is more transparance compare to arrow 3 G

For long term music is no fatiguing with arrow 4 G .

Arrow 3 G bass boost hat more bass impact than my arrow 4 G

Arrow Bass boost can improve the Bass Quanity very well and also the treble boost is very good

You can set to Ii , with no distorsion in high volume .

The bass quantity is not so much different between the two arrow , but the bass quality on arrow 4 g is more detail and clean .

I hope this can help you to answer your. Question above .

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #2,276 of 4,123

Quote:
Code:
Code:
The Arrow 4 G is more transparance compare to arrow 3 G
For long term music is no fatiguing with arrow 4 G .
Arrow 3 G bass boost hat more bass impact than my arrow 4 G
Arrow Bass boost can improve the Bass Quanity very well and also the treble boost is very good
You can set to Ii , with no distorsion in high volume .
The bass quantity is not so much different between the two arrow , but the bass quality on arrow 4 g is more detail and clean .
I hope this can help you to answer your. Question above .

Yes, thanks!

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #2,278 of 4,123
Has anyone else been having their Arrow randomly powering down? When I tested mine a few days ago (after a full charge), I hooked it up to my K420s and was enjoying a song by the Bill Evans Trio - when suddenly the Arrow cut out. Nothing - for at least several minutes. I then unplug all the cables, put 'em back in again and then the amp works fine. This happened twice in the same song, so I decided to switch to my other headphones. They worked completely fine, no problems (Pro 900s, by the way). I'm currently not in a state to listen to music at the moment, but was just wondering if anyone else has had a problem like mine.

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #2,279 of 4,123
If the song has a long pause in the piece I believe it thinks the amp is inactive and powers down.  I recall another person had a similar issue w/ a classical piece of music once long ago?

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #2,280 of 4,123
I'm starting to wonder if Robert will allow "trade-ups" again this time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back